„Star Trek“ original series appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yup, and it's still Star Trek, despite even Gene Roddenberry wishing it wasn't :laugh:

3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Cancelled after three years just like Gilligan's Island. BIG MISTAKE

The hit show Wild Wild West Cancelled after FOUR years too much violence lol

RSteven likes this.
  4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

The first Star Trek episode I saw was Man Trap in glorious black and white back in 1968.
    I was blown away by "The Squire of Gothos" and it remains my favorite episode to this day.

I didn't see any of the series in color until about ten years later, around the time when most TV shows were on video tape. Star Trek was, of course, on film and the picture quality was outstanding even back then.

Bought all the original series (and The Next Generation and the movies) on Blu Ray a good few years back.

5. Kaskade10729

Worst film in the original film franchise, hands-down. I don't think it quite deserves the rabid hatred it receives from died-in-the-wool fans, as it has its moments, but Shatner needed to remove his fat ass from the director's chair after the first act.

Spitfire likes this.
  6. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

STW is quite good and I'd recommend it. Plenty of throwback to the original. I don't think this is a spoiler but episode 10 is Pikes vision of the Balance Of Terror episode from the point of view of him remaining in charge of the Enterprise instead of Kirk

7. fogalu

Blu Ray discs don't usually fail to load unless they are very badly scratched. I suspect you might need a new player.
    [I've just realised this post was from last year. Maybe you've got a new one since. ;) ]

Archtop likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

Both great episodes (Man Trap and Squire of Gothos); here's a tidbit of info: our lad who's playing the Squire in that episode played a lead Klingon in The Trouble with Tribbles.

Echoes Myron, RSteven and fogalu like this.
  9. Kaskade10729

I've had a myriad of issues with my Blu-ray set of the first season, as well. There were some problems with these releases.

Also, you don't necessarily need a new player -- I have had success cleaning laser lens mechanisms with specially formulated cleaning discs in these instances. With regard to the Star Trek Blu-rays (of the original show), these sporadic issues weren't caused by anything that could be remedied by a cleaning.

fogalu likes this.
  10. fogalu

Strange. I've had no problems with season one. I bought the later edition of all three seasons that came in the cheaper cardboard packaging. Maybe the problems were with the earlier editions?

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  11. Kaskade10729

Quite possible -- I know I wasn't the only one to experience it.

Admittedly, the issues I experience with my season one set (I don't have the other two on Blu-ray; aside from the first season in high definition, I own the complete series in that massive DVD box set -- just the way it fell out) is on a very outdated first generation BD player, a Panasonic DMP-BD10A, but I have experienced glitches playing the episodes from this set on my newer Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD BD deck.

Here's the season set I own:

[​IMG]

12. fogalu

Yes - William Campbell I think was his name. I spotted that. I played the Gothos episode for my son when he was about five and the squire really scared him!

BeatleJWOL and Kaskade10729 like this.
  13. Kaskade10729

^^^I believe you're right about Campbell...

fogalu likes this.
  14. fogalu

Yes, that's a different set to the one I got. All three seasons were squeezed into a small cardboard package which didn't bother me as it was much cheaper. You just had to be a bit more careful removing the discs.

15. Kaskade10729

Quite possibly the reason you had no issues...

The one I picked up was when Paramount/CBS was releasing them as individual seasons like this (it was the original rollout on Blu, so there were probably some quality control issues).

16. fogalu

They were very complicated Blu Rays, what with all the seamless switching from old effects to new ones. I did have a single glitch with one disc but I cleaned it thoroughly and have played it many times since without a hiccup.

17. Kaskade10729

There is truth to that -- the way they included both the original and remastered effects versions to choose from. But I had already discussed these issues with this original BD release with the member you quoted; we both seemed to have received a bad batch, for whatever reason.

fogalu likes this.
  18. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

I also received a bad disc in season 1, for what it's worth. Didn't realize it was such a common issue...

fogalu and Kaskade10729 like this.
  19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

This brings back some memories. Way back in the day when I lived in Holland, one of the few American TV shows we got (on the two broadcast channels) was Star Trek, and I remember watching those growing up. The transporter effects were scary for a kid, even on our tiny black-and-white TV! (Another one a bit later was Mork & Mindy.)

fogalu likes this.
  20. I had no issues with my original Blu-rays.

I got the U.S. original releases individually packaged.

fogalu likes this.
  21. The issue Inhad with Abrams is simple-he’s a hack writer. Thar’s not an insult it just means there’s very little originality in his projects. He’s also a deirviwrive director. The reason folks like him is he’s Spielberg/Lucas 2.0 without the originality of either. All of the 22 reasons are pretty valid. Paramount wanted a sexy, even more populist comic book movie and Thar’s what they got. To Abrams credit, he caught fire the first time but when they attempted to recycle things in the second and third films, it just didn’t do as well.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

pics?

23. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

24. fogalu

[​IMG]
    It looks huge in this pic but the box is only 8 inches wide and just over 5 inches in height and made of unlaminated cardboard.
    Inside it are three other separate cardboard folders for each series.

As I've said, it's quite adequate (and cheaper) once you take care removing the discs.
    I think it was around 2012 or thereabouts that I bought it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  25. Kaskade10729

Not every single release was affected.