The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

In my case it’s mostly vocal sibilance that I hear, but it really stands out when I know it’s not part of the recording. The Moonstone is a $300 cartridge so I would hope it can get a little better than this, but maybe I am just spoiled by the VM540ML.
    It certainly will, thanks!

2. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah it honestly didn't leave the best taste in my mouth. Frankly with a few exceptions almost all record shops in my area have horrible systems. Typically some old midrange plastic plinth 70s DD beaten to hell rocking a M44-7 that's been worn out since the Obama era, ancient receiver with loudness engaged plugged into the largest cheapest speakers they could find. Pretty much useless to ask any of these guys to throw a record on the store system for a quick play grade. Enthusiasm for hi-fi is low among the average record collector.

3. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I tried a few different records where I’ve noticed some IGD - Queen, Steely Dan, Cat Stevens (actually nothing I typically listen to but enjoy on occasion) and generally, if it’s noticeable, it starts anywhere from 60-65mm or even 70mm if it’s a pretty hot track. There are plenty of cases where I don’t really notice any, as well.

4. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

I found the EAR MC3 that just works and sounds better than all the other SUT and Pre Preamps I tried. I have recently changed to ART9XI from the "schizophrenic" ART9XA and now with 0.5mv will work straight into my Conrad Johnson EV1 at 100ohms setting - but with my MC3 in circuit the sound is way better *sonething that doesn't make sense to me, as inserting an extra component should reduce SQ.

5. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Curious for those who are running a AT-OC9XML cartridge with the SL-1200, are you using the Aux Weight? I currently have this cart mounted to a H11H headshell, and the combined weight is about 20.2 grams. Per the manual, this weight comes in at the tail end of the range without the Aux Weight, and almost in the middle of the range with the Aux Weight included.

Visually, with the weight attached to the tone arm, and the Cartridge tracking at 2.0 grams, it's so much closer to the tone arm than without the weight attached. This is a good thing, right?

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Not really good or bad, just a little different tonearm effective mass (moment of inertia), may be higher or lower, depends on how far back the counterweight was without the aux weight installed. In some situations, increasing the effective mass is beneficial to sound, in other cases not. Listen both ways and decide which you think is best.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  7. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

I deliberately used the Technics headshell with the OC9 to keep the mass down for resonance purposes. Thus, no auxiliary weight is used.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, the XML is pretty high compliance, even with the lightweight stock headshell resonance will probably be below 7Hz, but a lot of people around here are using the heavier shells so doesn't seem to be causing any major problems ... The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

9. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

The dynamic duo, a 1200GR/1210GR setup

[​IMG]

JonT, jeffreybh, avanti1960 and 14 others like this.
  10. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

What’s the reason for two in the same room?

OldandBroken likes this.
  11. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Well if I separated them it wouldn't be a dynamic duo ;)

rofffe, bru87tr, jeffreybh and 9 others like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Because that's where the stereo is?

13. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

non snarky question: do you have speakers? Or just headphones?
    edit: NVMD I just looked in your profile.

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Maybe try Baerwald for DIN groove specs. This may improve things between ~61 and ~84 mm – if you can get it aligned accurately enough.

drmevo likes this.
  15. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I'll give that a shot - thanks!

16. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I wasn't sure if one was for stereo and the other mono or if one was a needledrop station and the other was for listening or what have you. It was a genuine/sincere question, didn't intend for it to come off as accusatory or anything.

Fender Relic and Big Blue like this.
  17. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

No problem, I have two different phono cartridges (ART9XA/VDH Mc One special) that are dialed in just right and I really like the sound characteristics of both. Also two phono stages (310LP/VTPH2A) that also have their own flavors one being solid state and the other utilizing tubes.

It's fun to play records on either system and this duo setup makes all of this more accessible.

bru87tr, tin ears and AudioOut58 like this.
  18. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

They all go to the same receiver/speakers? Or are those also unique to the setup?

19. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Yes they're both wired to my headphone amp(BHA 1).

bru87tr likes this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’d want two just for faster changeover between records. I don’t want it enough to pay for a second one, though.

Josh Halla and ubiknik like this.
  21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

My 2nd table on my main system is a Technics semi auto. Didn't see the need for two manual tables.

Dischord likes this.
  22. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Two turntables sounds as onerous as two wifes.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Happy to read and look, then I can't be ashamed of having two 1200 decks in my room.

24. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I gave this a try (generating an arc protractor from your site, which worked great!), and got it as precisely dialed in as I’m able to, which meant the cartridge was rotated clockwise a bit in relation to the headshell. Unfortunately I couldn’t detect much difference from the standard Technics alignment - the same tracks had IGD/sibilance with the Sumiko Moonstone.

To be fair, some of them may be considered torture tracks. I used the the end of Cat Stevens’ Father and Son and Tea for the Tillerman, which were quite sibilant, for example. Also some Queen. Maybe I’m expecting too much, it’s just that the AT tracks them so cleanly in comparison.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion, it was worth a shot.

25. substance

substance Active Member

Hi folks, a friend owns a 1210 GR, and today we had to remove the platter. I was shocked to see an absolutely bad cut out inlay under the platter. It is hard to describe, so I post this picture:
    192373-AD-E952-440-F-A0-A5-B327-CA77-FE11 hosted at ImgBB

Is this normal? My mk2 don‘t have this.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    bru87tr likes this.