Nagaoka MP-500 vs Hana SL vs Nagaoka MP-300 — Anyone heard at least two of these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

And if so, how would you characterize the differences (especially tonally)? Don’t be afraid to go into a little detail, or to list some of your associated equipment (like phonostage).

Asking for a couple of guys in another thread who are looking to cart upgrade soon. Thanks mucho. :righton:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  2. Grantmethepower

Grantmethepower New Member

Thanks! Would love to hear the responses :)

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’ve heard the MP-300 and MP-500.

For me the MP-300 is absolutely magic. I prefer it to the 500. It retains the signature Nag sound with absolutely mesmerizing instrument definition.

The 500 maybe I will try again one day, but something about it seemed like the house sound that I love from Nagaoka wasn’t quite there. The whole sound is neutral but somehow a bit “jacked up” for lack of a better way of putting it. Maybe it’s just me.

I actually think the MP-200 is right up there with the MP-300. The 200 has just a touch more “air” to it but they are very, very close.

Hana I have been very reluctant about. Ian on YouTube has been spot on with all his reviews in terms of aligning to my taste. His review of the EL was concerning to me.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Sidenote: Economically-speaking, one does not really have to ‘choose’ between an MP-300 and MP-500, as they share the same body… a simple stylus module swap turns a 300 into a 500, and vice versa.

IOW, it’s not huge added money to ‘own both’.
    Example: Here’s current CDJapan prices (about the best you’ll see admittedly, and not including shipping):

Full MP-300: $500
    Full MP-500: $600
    MP-300 stylus: $150
    MP-500 stylus: $200

So, if you got a full MP300 cart, and then an MP500 stylus, that’s $700 (plus shipping)… aka for $100 more than a full MP500, you own both a 300 and a 500. :thumbsup:

Just sayin’… it’s kinda cool they did it that way.
    Ortofon Bronze/Black is a similar type of deal (except that Orty charges a lot for their stylus modules… :faint:).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Won’t a 500 stylus also fit a 200 or 150 body? Not officially supported but it does work, if I’m understanding correctly.

6. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

yep it fits and works pretty nice too. it retains some characteristic of the mp200 while having much better tracking ability.

woodpigeon and Merrick like this.
  7. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

Appreciate the information!

8. Cyclone Ranger

Does work from what multiple ppl have posted. Kinda doubt it sounds 100% as good as a 500 stylus on a 300/500 body (aka what Naga intended).

HOWEVER, some ppl really do like the ‘hybrid’ sound of a 500 stylus on a 150/200 body, YMMV. I haven’t heard one yet.

(Note: The cart bodies get better as you move up the line, just like the styli and other parts do. 300 and 500 use same body).

Merrick likes this.
  9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

So the difference in specifications between the 300 and the 500 are due to the stylus?

10. Cyclone Ranger

Mostly, IIRC. Though you do note some modest differences in things like compliance spec, which implies a different suspension too (though the stylus is attached to the cantilever which is attached to the suspension).

Maybe a more correct answer is ‘the stylus plus whatever else fits in the replacement stylus module’.

punkmusick and Merrick like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Haven’t heard those two Nags but have yet to hear an MM cart that can compete with a decent MC cart when it comes to tracking and treble detail.

The $600 Sumiko Amethyst, for example, falls a good deal short of the Hana SL in those regards. An M97xe with Jico SAS stylus get a bit closer but still can’t track as well.

Hyperflux and fendersrule like this.
  12. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Have an MP200 and an MP 300. Have heard an MP500 but cannot comment as was only a brief listen and not on my gear so not really good to comment on that. The MP200 is a significant upgrade to the MP150 for not a massive extra in cost about 30% whereas the jump from MP200 to MP300 is some 50% Uk pricing.
    Frankly the MP200 is near as damn it as good as an MP300, to my ears anyway. I would not mind a long listening session with an MP500 but doubt it will happen. Phono stage is either inbuilt one in my Music Fidelity MS3i or using the Rothwell Rialto MM/MC box. Jury still out as to which I prefer. I got one of my daughters to bring me an MP200
    back from Japan when she was over there a while ago. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying in UK where Nagaoka prices have gone into orbit compared to a couple of years ago.

Grantmethepower likes this.
  13. Cyclone Ranger

Interesting. Can you expand on this? :idea:

(btw, dig your Rega Planar 8)

14. Cyclone Ranger

I believe you, but Nagas are MI.

As seem to be many of the best non-MC carts… MP-500, Goldring 2500, various Soundsmiths, various Grados.

15. Grantmethepower

Hi! I’m curious about a couple things in your comment here-have you heard/compared the Hana SL to the Amethyst to come to that conclusion? Or is that based on comparing reviews? Also-have you heard any of the Nahs or Soundsmith carts that are MI (not MM)?

it seems a lot of people agree that MC carts are superior in many ways to MM…but that MI can bridge that gap.

thanks!

16. Grantmethepower

haha! Just said the same thing before reading your reply :)

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Can’t speak for most of those but I do know the Hana SL is a much better cartridge than the Soundsmith Carmen.

I think the Hana is very difficult to beat below $1K, though I’m biased. In my system it tracks everything beautifully and is superbly balanced without ever sounding analytical.

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, I bought the Amethyst a couple years ago from MD through Amazon. It had some nice qualities and I thought it was a very good cart until I swapped the Hana back into the system. There is just no comparison. The Hana is better from top to bottom. Luckily I was able to return the Amethyst.

19. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

Will try to explain a bit more without all the wiffle waffle that seems apt in reviews of equipment. Only real difference I note between the 300 and the 200 is that the 300 has, again to my ears, a slightly wider soundstage and frankly that is
    about it. Possibly the bass a bit more in ones face, but is so minimal I might be imagining it. Instruments seem to be in the exact same place on both cartridges. I should point out I always set tracking weight at the top end of the manufacturers range. Glad you like my P8 better pic attached.
    [​IMG]

20. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

21. Cyclone Ranger

Thanks, that is helpful. And I think you avoided the flowery prose and ‘wiffle waffle’ of many modern equipment reviews. Also no comparisons to wine, sports cars, or expensive vacation spots either… well done. :angel:

On the Planar 8 — used to dislike ‘skeletal’ TT designs, but now I think the 8 is probably the best-looking Rega in the whole lineup. Go figure. :thumbsup:

punkmusick likes this.
  22. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Looks great! Just curious…when you tried non Rega carts like the Nagaoka’s…did you use shims under the tonearm? I’d like to give it a try on my RP8, but not too thrilled about messing w/ shims…hoping to go without.

23. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

I have used shims as I got a set of these unused off Ebay at a great price.

The Acoustic Signature Rega Spacer Set
    Expensive at list price , £115 for the large set, for what they are but have the advantage you can slip them under the arm without having to remove it.

Using the Nagaokas which are 18.5mm in height compared to the Regas 14mm I used 4mm worth of shim, in this case 2 shims 1mm and 3mm. I could have used the 0,5mm shim to be precise but did not hell Im sure 0.5mm is not going to make much discernable difference, if any.
    I fitted shims straight away so have no comparison to sound without shims. I went a bit over the top with fuffing about by getting a cheap digital microscope to set the SRA after watching this guy from Ortofon

As far as I can see my SRA is near enough bang on so to my mind proves that one has to just use the correct shim size and you will be near as damn it on the mark.

bluemooze and louis_anthony like this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

Back on-topic-ish. :)

25. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident

All adds to the fun of hifi chat:righton: