2023 and still not on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 4, 2023.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Our host mentioned the Roadshow version of Michael Todd's 'Around The World In 80 Days' from 1956 though it's never been Restored from deteriorating elements ever throughout the years or decades...

Boom Operator, EVOLVIST and Michael like this.
  2. I’d love to be wrong but they’ve Jk’d us so many times, and with Disney taking over Fox, I just don’t believe it anymore.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

I can totally understand where you are coming from...but, I will not give up in hoping for the fruition of True Lies on BD!

4. I’ll believe it when it’s in my hands.

Speedmaster likes this.
  5. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

She (1965)
    7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964)

Boom Operator and finslaw like this.
  6. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I've been watching a series on AppleTV+ called Tehran. 4K HDR on my Roku. But I want to own it so I can watch it again - here the Blu-ray is only available for Season 1 and it's region-locked for Europe. Why do they release stuff this way? I would buy it on Blu-ray if I could, love the series.

7. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Squid Game. I can't believe Netflix NEVER put this out on Blu-ray. I think there was a DVD at one point for like $50 on Amazon, but it was only the English dubbed track, not the original Korean audio with subtitles. I'm not sure if that was official or a bootleg.

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Beyond excited to learn the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons are on Blu-Ray and will be available for purchase in May. So if they can take film from the 40s and restore and improve the SOUND and PICTURE, they most definitely can take The Beatles Washington Coliseum concert from the 60s and do the same!

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm sure it's possible that they could restore The Beatles concert: The thing is, they need to want to.

Dollar signs may be the only thing to sway them?

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If that's the case it should have been done years ago!

11. Michael

a damn shame!

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Couple of 70s films I'm still waiting on:

Law and Disorder (1974)

The Ritz (1976)

They finally released Buster and Billie a year or so ago so hope springs eternal.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. Michael

The Fastest Gun Alive...

14. Yeah we got the sequel to “She” (the sequel is a very inferior film) way before we got the original and “Lao” I suspect that Warner may be skittish because it’s a white guy playing an Asian.of course that didn’t stop them from releasing it on DVD.

Heavy Music likes this.
  15. Close to the same situation with The Alamo (1960). The 70mm 30fps Roadshow version has been left to rot, as well.

16. Michael

Birth Of The Beatles
    Killers Three
    A Bullet For Pretty Boy

IIRC, they never even made it to DVD!

17. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Ken Russell's The Devils
    The only official release since VHS is the BFI DVD that came out in 2012. Apparently they wanted to release the uncut film on BluRay and were told by Warner Bros that they could only release the theatrical cut on DVD. This is my most desired BluRay at this point now that Get Crazy has been released. Lisztomania needs an HD release as well.

wayneklein and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Not streaming either. I'd like to see it again. Terrific movie.

The Hud likes this.
  19. Bob Casner

Bob Casner Senior Member

The pre-order on Amazon went up this morning - I put in mine!

A couple more titles that are DVD only:

Hellzapoppin’ (1941) I used to see this on local L.A. area commercial tv decades ago, completely crazy and a lot of fun - plenty of clips on YouTube.

The Fires of Kuwait, filmed in IMAX and absolutely spectacular. This is about putting out the oil well fires that Saddam Hussein’s troops lit on their way out of the country. In one scene, after putting down stakes, what is essentially a jet engine on a truck backs up to one of the wellheads and BLOWS OUT the fire!

20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It's a very entertaining movie. You can see Hellzapoppin's influence on Joe Dante's films (particularly Gremlins 2: The New Batch). Dante is a big fan of the movie. The DVD, of questionable legality, looks and sounds great for (probably) being unauthorized.

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If anyone knows what's coming it's this guy.

22. The whole controversy around the film and Warners inability to ‘stomach’ a release is so cowardly. It’s Winner’s best film and brilliant. If they are afraid to release it, license it out to a smaller label. It deserves to be out there.

love or hate Russell, he was a singular brilliant film director.

jupiter8 likes this.
  23. I’ll believe it when it’s actually in my hands but thanks for posting.

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I fell asleep in the theater watching The Abyss but would be willing to give it another go. If I find my opinion hasn't changed, at least I can add it to my small batch of movies that I put on when I'm having trouble going to sleep. I'm looking at you The English Patient.

25. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There is a rumor that a high-ranking executive at WB despises the movie, finding it offensive, and won't allow the original cut to be released. It's not that he's afraid; he doesn't want it (re-)released. I heard this on a popular movie podcast (it may have been The Movies That Made Me).