Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spieg16, Mar 16, 2023.

1. spieg16

spieg16 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Per Talking Heads Instagram:

talkingheadsofficial

Verified

We’re excited to share the news: Stop Making Sense will be returning to theatres this year as a restored version in 4K (via @a24) and the full concert will be available on vinyl for the first time, on August 18, as a limited edition 2 LP including a 28-page booklet with unpublished photos and new liner notes by the four of us (via @rhino_records). You can pre-order from our store now at the link in bio!

Talking Heads on Instagram: "We’re excited to share the news: Stop Making Sense will be returning to theatres this year as a restored version in 4K (via @a24) and the full concert will be available on vinyl for the first time, on August 18, as a limited edition 2 LP including a 28-page booklet with unpublished photos and new liner notes by the four of us (via @rhino_records). You can pre-order from our store now at the link in bio!"

2. spieg16

spieg16 Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Oh, an audio release that includes "Cities" and "Big Business/I Zimbra". Yes please!

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh I am 1000% in on this!

5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Oh yeah!

Rockford & Roll and hutlock like this.
  6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

US price $39.98

UK price £57.99 ($70)

I'm OK thanks - I'm out

7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

So weird how David Byrne always insists he’s moved beyond Talking Heads but will still do stuff like this - just reunite already!!!

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Chris Frantz said “we are ALL happy with this reissue”

9. terrapinstation

terrapinstation They call him lysosome ‘cause he runs so fast…

Nice but damn that’s a long time between announcement and release.

10. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I’ve been waiting for this news about the full vinyl edition for years!

11. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i want the blu-ray, the CD, all of it. gimme gimme gimme!!

12. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

so excited about this, especially since I JUST purchased a NM copy of the original pressing - and was reminded of what a bummer it is the full show isn't on it - specifically the one song I love the most... it's also entertaining this comes out on the heels of his 60 Minutes appearance and the extra content where he addresses the idea of "getting the band back together".

fast forward to 3:40 if it doesn't do it automatically

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  13. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

I produced this reissue. It sounds WONDERFUL. Mastering and lacquering by Sterling. 2LP gatefold; 28-page booklet; Cities and Big Business/I Zimbra added to present the full concert for the very first time on vinyl.

14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Where was it pressed, Jason?

Rockford & Roll and RubenH like this.
  15. NeonMadman

NeonMadman Forum Resident

Totally agree. I respect guys like Robert Plant and Peter Gabriel resisting reunions (though I selfishly wish they'd just give it a few months of their life!), because they really are moving in different directions and they certainly have earned the right not to retread. I also understand somebody like Sting or Paul Simon, who just can't stand the people involved and don't want to make themselves miserable. But Byrne's refusal has always sort of annoyed me because he makes such a big deal about how he's moved on musically but I don't see the evidence of that at all in the actually material he puts out.

16. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Makes the £2.99 I paid for SMS on CD from HMV about fifteen years ago seem like an even bigger bargain!

17. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

This is amazing Jason! Will there be a CD release? Or a physical release of the Atmos mix? I suppose a 4K Blu-ray release of the movie would have the Atmos mix, but I would love to have the unreleased tracks as well. The picture quality of Cities and Big Business/I Zimbra was never as good as the main feature and they were never available in surround.

18. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I got the original lp when it first came out and played the heck out of it but once I owned the film, (first videotaped from a BBC transmission then on dvd), I don’t think I gave the audio version another listen. It’s a visual and audio treat. Without the visual you only get half the fun imo. So, nice that the whole thing (is it the whole thing?) will be available audio only but the real interest for me is to see and hear it in better quality than ever.

Max Florian, HotHere and DHamilton like this.
  19. Nike

Nike Duke

20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I've got a 4K TV and Blu-Ray player anyway, so the real deal here would be the film on disc in 4K for £20 over this vinyl reissue and nearly three times the price.

21. Nike

Nike Duke

We want BR 4k!

Jarleboy, MRamble, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  22. Manc3

Manc3 Well-Known Member

How can they justify such a big difference in prices between countries. Madness.

Boom Operator likes this.
  23. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sound Of Vinyl in UK might have it soon, if not already.....

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Next year would be the 40th anniversary, why didn't they wait till then?

25. Manc3

Manc3 Well-Known Member

That's who is charging £57.99 for it. Definitely worth shopping around on this one.