Stoner movies: your favorites and why?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't know if I would want to watch Brazil in an altered state. The first time I saw that film in the theater, I was so thunderstruck that the lights came up after the credits and I still couldn't get out of my seat.

keef00, unclefred and Shambolicus like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Another one like that is Knocked Up, where Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen go see a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas tripping on mushrooms.

3. Not a stoner comedy in the classic sense - "Leaves Of Grass" with Edward Norton playing twin brothers, one a college professor, the other a weed grower/dealer. Also features Susan Sarandon, Richard Dreyfus, Tim Blake Nelson, and a nice supporting turn by Steve Earle of all people. Good, underrated movie.

Ghostworld and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I agree! My parents, who were in their 50s when this movie came out, thought the first one was hilarious! They just innocently enjoyed the antics these two got into.

5. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I'm not much of a movie guy, but years ago I had the day off work with no kids, so I was stoned all day. I decided to watch a movie for some reason, and I landed on "Smiley Face" starring Anna Faris.
    It was a stupid movie, but totally entertaining for my stoned ass. :cool: I enjoyed it. Plus, Anna is nice to look at.

6. Rotary Connection

Rotary Connection Forum Resident

If I want to be confused, Inherent Vice

Ignatius, 420JJJazz666, gregr and 2 others like this.
  7. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Bob Rafelson's movie with the Monkees, "Head."

8. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Not a stoner movie, but It's Complicated. Meryl Streep and Steve Martin get high, go to a party, escape to the powder room, then John Krasinski comes in, and he and Steve share some smoke. Hilarious bit in the movie, and the movie is really funny.

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

Was gonna post last night but didn’t, Friday is a top stoner film.

ok someone thankfully beat me to it, tgif.

Danny Coffin and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh yeah! Joachim phoenix is like the best stoner ever.

11. Why must someone predicate their answer by stating, "I'm not a stoner, but..."? :D

I'm stoned and my favorite Stoner Movie is Friday (1995).

I wrote a lot more, but...

12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

13. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

200 Motels.

jerol

Ignatius and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  14. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I can't say I've ever been a stoner . . . but I have the munchies right now. Think I'll go to Burger King and order the menu . . .

Bill Cosby had a routine in the 1970s that was on one of his albums titled "My Father Confused Me! What Must I Do?" (or something like that).

One of the bits was 'Dudes on Dope'. A doped-up guy goes to Burger King and the gal behind the counter says "May I take your Order?" and Stoner Guy says "Yeah, I wanna see the King!".

Movies:
    NATIONAL LAMPOON's CLASS REUNION (1982). Deffo some 'stoner' elements in this one.
    UP IN SMOKE (1978)
    C & C's NICE DREAMS (1981)
    I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS (1968)
    and
    JEWEL ROBBERY (1932). I put this title in 'BOLD' on purpose because no one's mentioned it yet and it's worth checking out. :cop:

It's a pre-Code movie that runs 70 minutes. It stars William Powell and Kay Francis. If you have 1 hr 10 mins to spare check it out and you'll see why I mentioned it.

Here's a movie I've read about but not seen yet: ARNOLD's WRECKING CO. (1973). For years it was 'Lost', but then it was found and now looks to be available to stream.

Danny Coffin and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Man, it was a struggle to make it through Stalker sober, that movie is an undertaking. If I watched it while high, I would just be very confused and eventually fall asleep.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Because you are writing for a cannibis magazine I want to post the question.
    What defines a stoner movie?

"Back To The Future" shows the Enchanted By The Sea dance band smoking up outside by the car, but I don't think this would qualify even though it specifically has drug use in the movie.
    "Rubber" which is one of the weirdest movies you might watch, has no stoner moments...but the movie may be much better if watched when stoned.
    Cheech and Chongs "Up In Smoke" pretty much set the tone for a specifically focused stoner movie.....Nothing about that movie denies the fact they are using drugs.
    Anything Jim Breuer acts in automatically gets a stoner vibe because his whole aura emits "stoner" even if he is just standing there.

And of course the brand new "Cocaine Bear" specifically follows the antics of a bear who has consumed a large amount of cocaine.

Where do you draw the line Ghostworld? What makes a movie a stoner movie?

For now my list would include:
    "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" (this movie hits so many targets I can't pick just one, but Spicoli is a great stoner and this character set the bar)
    "Friday", "Next Friday", "Friday After Next" (The two doofuses are just fun to watch and it does give a taste of the neighborhood lifestyle...even if tougue-in-cheek) (John Witherspoon, as Mr. Jones, steals the show whenever he is in the scene and makes the movie much better)
    "Up In Smoke" (Two grown men lost in a world of getting high while being harmless dudes having fun)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Danny Coffin likes this.
  17. Yup, 1964 Chevy Impala SS......but they wern't driving man. No man.....I think they were parked man...
    [​IMG]

Danny Coffin likes this.
  18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It is a pro-level undertaking.

Dansk and Juan Matus like this.
  19. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice is very good high

20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

With uncensored license plate
    [​IMG]

BDC, cleandan and Danny Coffin like this.
  21. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Eye candy! Colors and production design! Awesome creature!
    Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

The deranged 1976 animated movie HUGO THE HIPPO definitely has a "stoner vibe". If someone reading this endeavours to watch it . . . I'll pray for your sanity when it's over. This flick is supposedly for children, but it'll probably give them weird dreams about sharks that look like they came from an aquatic version of "Cruising".

Bruce Racket likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cheech and Chong;
    Up In Smoke
    Next Movie
    Nice Dreams
    Things Are Tough All Over...why? because they are funny as hell...even my Mom liked them!

Panama Hotel and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Lebowski
    "Mind if I do a jay?"

woody and dsdu like this.
  25. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Gonna get you highhh, Craig

Ghostworld likes this.