The Partridge Family

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Mar 15, 2023.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I always remember the episode with Richard Pryor.
    The Partridges sojourn to Detroit....BWA HA HAAAAAAAA sorry, There Danny becomes a black militant, I'm sorry BWA HA I just can't.

I just kept trying to figure out where they were supposed to be, as NONE of it made sense.

2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

A cultural icon cruelly neglected. :realmad:

Shambolicus likes this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I love Hal Blaine's drumming on that Ricky Segall LP.

carrick doone likes this.
  4. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

According to Dave Madden why the show was changed after season 1 when the family was out on the road:

“Because suddenly the network figured out they had a potential hit series on their hands and they were afraid that the public - the family oriented pubic - would frown upon the idea of these kids on a bus, traveling around when they should be in school instead of on tour all of the time. So, they started writing a lot of scripts with them sitting around the dining room, or the garage rehearsing. But not much on the road anymore. It was kind of peculiar in a way that they would do this story about school and rehearsals in the garage and Shirley's love life and then all of a sudden they're performing somewhere. Then you see them getting off the bus and it's back to school, back to Shirley's love life. They'd have wonderful plotlines like, Keith's flunking sex education, or Danny gets acne - things that I would think bore the heck out of most people. I don't know how they managed to hang on to their audience with what they were doing.”

Kyle B likes this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I recently watched most of the series.

The ‘at-home’ plot lines could be pretty silly. On the other hand, the cast developed a good chemistry and they looked like they genuinely enjoyed delivering the zingers to each other that became a feature of the show.

j_rocker and carrick doone like this.
  6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The Brady Bunch also filmed an episode at Kings Island.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I know. ;)

8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

It was eon's better then the Brady Bunch ....that is all

9. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

That was not the same bus:

Famous Chevy Vehicles In TV: The Partridge Family Bus - Chevy Hardcore

The original bus itself soldiered on for awhile, having been repainted and used in the series Apple's Way. The last time it was seen was in the 1976 television movie Helter Skelter starring Steve Railsback, after which time it disappeared. Best guess is that it was scrapped shortly after that, but no one knows for sure.

A few years ago, an auction appeared on eBay that excited a number of Partridge Family fans, as a bus that appeared to be of the correct year and model was advertised for sale:

https://barnfinds.com/cmon-get-skeptical-real-partridge-family-bus/

Unfortunately, nothing seems to have come of it, but the resulting conversation between various posters in the comments section contained a lot of interesting details regarding the history of the original bus, and is well worth reading for anyone interested.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    trumpet sounds and Raylinds like this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I actually seen it driving around in my area a number of years ago. No idea why, but it made my day seeing it.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I seem to remember Danny saying something along the lines of David Cassidy playing 'Jimi Hendrix riffs' between shots or something like that...

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

13. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I remember that episode. Also, don’t you think that Danny looked at lot like Them era Van Morrison?

carrick doone likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I was 6 in 1970; our kids would huddle around the TV to watch these three shows. At the time, The Partridge Family was my favorite because of the music. I thought if I grew my hair long, I could get girls like David Cassidy.

[​IMG]

15. Grand_Ennui

^^^ Just think, a few months after that show premiered, the Powers that Be would have been asking themselves why they featured Dave Madden and/or Danny Bonaduce in their show premier ad instead of 'pin-up' David Cassidy.... ^^^

Ms. Daisy and Jack Lord like this.
  16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

Wait are you telling me there is incorrect information on the interwebs?!?!?!? Say it isn't so!

But seriously- thanks for that information.

BTW your avatar was my all time favorite show as a kid. I still enjoy it on DVD.

The Beave and JFS3 like this.
  17. Raylinds

I started season 4 last night and they added a child singer, Ricky Segall to the show. He is annoying as hell and has a horrible voice. WTF where they thinking? Worse than cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch. No wonder it was the final season. Still enjoying the stories though (at least the first two of the season).

18. Raylinds

You actually deliberately listened to that horrible voice? They had the poor taste to issue an album?

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That's the season they moved the show from Friday to Saturday IIRCC and the ratings plummeted.

ZackyDog likes this.
  20. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Those were some pretty sad episodes.

21. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I was just making a joke, but yes he did play on the album.

Raylinds likes this.
  22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

One of the songs on the LP is a Christmas tune, and (not surprisingly) Rhino Records included it on the special (and very cheese-tastic) Christmas edition of their Superhits of the 70s series.

Mark B. likes this.
  23. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I have to give an honorable mention to David Cassidy’s hair
    [​IMG]

Ms. Daisy, RogerB, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

You mean this scene?

25. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

That's the one

The Beave likes this.