LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

There are also plenty of US copies where a mono jacket got used for a stereo record with a sticker on the back designating stereo. It seems like they had too many mono jackets and stereo jackets but finally used up the last of the peelable ones in 1973 ish when they switched to printed banana. The “30,000” claim often gets tossed around but there were a LOT more peelable copies made than that. Legend can do funny things to the value and perceived rarity of things that turn out to not actually be that rare.

2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Maybe in Australia, but certainly not here.

3. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

What’s the third state butcher covers going for? I have a second state sitting around just because I feel like they are getting fewer and far between but that peeled version should be declining.

4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Agree with this. Buckingham Nicks is still a pretty desirable record. I’ve seen it sell for $40-$60 several times in the past year. I think my copy was $20 but that’s not representative of what it usually goes for. I got lucky, and just happened to check classifieds at the right time.

5. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The second states are definitely getting both more valuable and rarer as time goes on. It has almost gone out of fashion to peel them now because second state has become pretty much rarer than third. Not to mention, plenty of people don’t even realize second states are butchers. I have a saved ebay search for just this situation where someone lists a second state for cheap buy it now, not realizing it’s a $1000 record.

Quakerism and Man at C&A like this.
  6. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

I have seen in recent years people struggle to get 15-20 for it. It seems kinda like the Elvis. Nice for the collector, but most all collectors who want it have it already.

Grootna, Quakerism and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think most of those were ever all that valuable, apart from original early Chuck Berry and James Brown perhaps. Bizarrely, Thriller, the one that sold most of these by many millions is still a good seller here, though again it was a charity shop and car boot sale regular not that long ago. In spite of all the later crap and allegations surrounding Michael Jackson, I think Off The Wall and Thriller are still seen as cool classic albums by young vinyl buyers, which is right. I took Bad sells well too, but that's awful! Originals of Dangerous are probably relatively uncommon.

Jarleboy and Quakerism like this.
  8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Yup. The Pallas copies surged a bit in value but are now back in print and also cheap again. Just goes to show that there’s demand for nice AAA copies of popular albums.

9. Quakerism

I don’t think SHF classifieds is representative of the general overall value of an LP for a couple reasons. Collectors here tend to be very narrow in their accepted pressings, they also are knowledgeable about pricing. And members sometimes (not always) try to cut other members in on good buys especially if they have duplicates.

bekayne, lazydawg58 and astro70 like this.
  10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I was just trying to assemble a Bowie collection of UK originals when the man died. Everything Bowie was suddenly expensive. Even 'Stage', which I used to see very cheap everywhere.
    My experience is that the prices have come down, with two exceptions: 'Ziggy Stardust' and 'Heroes'. Strangely, 'Low', also from '77, can be had for a fair price.

VinylCountdown and phillyal1 like this.
  11. The Elvis LP you mentioned has two versions, one released on the Boxcar label and one on RCA. The Boxcar version still sells for a decent amount, with many examples selling for above $100 since 2020:

popsike.com - elvis boxcar

caravan70 and izgoblin like this.
  12. Quakerism

I think ‘Nevermind’ could eventually fall into this category. I’m thinking of the LP’s that are currently hot and high priced. They have to fall sometime.

13. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

How about recent (last 10 yrs) MOFIs.

The value hasn’t exactly tanked, but before word got out that they were mostly digital, it was not uncommon for recently OOP MOFIs to be selling for a couple hundred on secondary market. I don’t see people jumping on them for those prices now. Eventually they might sell but it takes a while.

14. Quakerism

That’s a good call. Hunky Dory maybe fits here?

15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

True. The Boxcar one was the first initially produced and was sold through his fan clubs and at concerts. Then RCA bought the rights and put it out. Those RCA used to command upwards of 50+ especially if sealed. I have had a NM in my boxes for 4 or 5 years for 12.00 and not one person has paid attention. Even the other Elvis I have sells (not for much though).

izgoblin likes this.
  16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

50s rock n roll isn’t what it once was in general. Still somewhat valuable but only in great condition. I’m thinking Buddy Holly/Crickets or Bo Diddley for example. I’ve gotten $10 or less beater copies of several early rock n roll classics in the past couple years.

Chip TRG, Revolver, BrentB and 2 others like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I would think there was a few times more of it than that manufactured. No matter how many there are, it's still a very cool original artefact even with a later or non US record inside. I'd love one and would buy it even with no record if I saw it at a price I could afford.

astro70 likes this.
  18. Quakerism

I never bought into the MoFi sales pitch. But the thing that stopped them from tanking altogether is that much of their customer base really could have cared less. A good sounding LP is a good sounding LP no matter how it is created.

brucej4, Jarleboy and astro70 like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm finding that with rock n' roll too. Which is great because it's great music and we got high quality Decca pressings of a lot of those LPs on the London label, which sound fantastic. They can sometimes be had for less than the price of those crappy public domain new releases.

Jarleboy and astro70 like this.
  20. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Even just a beat up jacket on its own with half a peel and no torso has sold for $50+ on eBay recently. I get it though. My rationale is, each original jacket is a 60s Warhol print, and each one is unique, especially half peeled ones, or where someone peeled it, then restuck it. I buy any copy I come across for a reasonable price locally, and occasionally will splurge on eBay. As someone interested in pop art, but also a massive fan of the music, it’s hard to not keep buying more copies.

Man at C&A and Quakerism like this.
  21. Quakerism

You need to visit the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh. Sorry for the aside.

astro70 likes this.
  22. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Phil Collins

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I would too, but all that shows up here is the very occasional one on a 1971 reissue and they're always expensive. The original UK without the banana is very scarce too and I've never even seen an original UK pressing of the third album. Loaded is relatively common on the plum Atlantic label. They must have high hopes for that and pressed a decent amount. The 1971 reissues of the first three probably stayed available throughout most of the 70s and are also relatively common.

VinylCountdown and astro70 like this.
  24. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t want to make this into another VU thread, but It’s definitely something I’ll do if I make it out that way.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Not the case over here in Blighty, for Sir Rod anyway. The early albums with the Faces involved are starting to go for more - even Smiler, which is pretty rough. Guess they're getting harder to find in NM condition. Even 'Atlantic Crossing' is going for £5-10 now, used to be £1 a time at car boots. Elton's stuff is also going up. Billy's not so much...

Grootna and Man at C&A like this.