LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

We need more VU threads! As many as possible!

Michael Macrone, Grootna and astro70 like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Really? I couldn’t sell those later Rod albums for more than £1 each in a charity shop I volunteer in when they came in about a month ago! One of them at least is still there. I tend to think of Rod as anything pre-Smiler is sellable. Faces records are sought after, as well as nice copies of the Vertigo albums. Anything from the mid 70s and 80s being £1 box fodder.

We have Billy Joel's Songs In Attic LP which came in a couple of days ago for £1 which hadn't sold quickly. Sleeve is a bit worn, record's decent. It will have gone by now. Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen are good sellers, Wings aren't!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

I sold a flawless copy of the first Velvet Underground Mono Emerson to a collector in Paris,France on eBay for 2,700 back in 2002. I don't think it would go for that much now.

4. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Elton reel to reels are crazy prices these days....especially GBYBR.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  5. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

I wish we had consistent pricing in chazzas! I agree that that's how much they SHOULD be going for. I paid £5 for my 'Atlantic Crossing' i think, but i'm pretty fussy about condition. Personally Ive drawn the line at 'Blondes Have More Fun' with Sir Rod, which - yep - was £1. Pretty much what its worth!

Actually Wings might be a good contender for this thread. 'London Town' and 'Speed of Sound' arent well-loved today by any means. The only one that costs a bit more is 'Band on the Run'.

Michael Macrone and Man at C&A like this.
  6. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

I suspect my original vinyl release of Wildflowers might have nose-dived in value since the reissue…

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't imagine many of those existing. I have a beautiful condition Beatles A Hard Day's Night one. It's surprisingly not worth much. Great item and a great present from my Dad a few years ago though.

WMTC, caravan70 and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I try and be cheap and won't look on Discogs for common records! I did put £10 on Band On The Run recently, but it was a near mint throughout first pressing. It took about three weeks to sell and went only a couple of days ago. I was thinking if it hadn't gone by after this weekend, I'll have it. I put £3 on a similar Speed of Sound and it sold straightaway, a while ago a VG copy took a while to sell for £1. The collection the near mint records came in was superb by charity shop standards.

andy obrien likes this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I think it would. A true NM copy is extremely hard to find, and worth quite a large chunk more than a VG+ copy.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'd echo the comment on page 1 - classical LPs. I was buying them for 3 for £1.

Very few vinyl collectors left who want them, and most consumers of that stuff listen to CD now or other digital formats.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Most Japanese pressings. Most collectors (including the Japanese) want UK pressings now.

12. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Yeah - to be clear, it’s never been cheap in the past 25 years. But I’m surprised it’s not more expensive now. A comparison is Seger Back in 72 - when I bought BN, the Seger was around the same price, $20-$25 or so. Now that starts at like $160. And Fleetwood Mac has had such a revival in the years since.

FramboGND likes this.
  13. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Hmmm...maybe I should have held on to that one...oh well. Was between jobs at the time...and circumstances required living off my collection for awhile.

astro70 likes this.
  14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

[​IMG] Well, it IS an EP, but this one seems to have somewhat tanked. I recall in the 90's more that one seller getting near 100.00 for it. I picked one up for 15.00 a couple of years ago.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Peja11 and long gone john like this.
  16. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will

Not sure what the current price for sealed copies of the GnR debut with recalled 'rape' cover are going for now but I'm guessing it's lower than the peak. Sitting on two here that I scoured all the local shops for when the announcement was made that they were being recalled.

17. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Been there, and also sold some stuff I wish I still had!

18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Very true. I think the recent surge in AAA Jazz reissues has pretty much killed off the collectibility of the 70s/80s King Blue Notes, Prestige, Verve etc Japanese Jazz pressings. A few years ago they were pretty much the best you could get unless you wanted to pay hundreds for an original or early pressing. Now, why would you pay $30-$75 for a used Japanese pressing (plus $20 shipping if you’re outside Japan) when a BN classic or Tone poet sounds just as good if not better for $20-$40

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This hasn't ever been difficult to find in the UK or all that expensive and it sounds amazing on 12". Problem is it's missing a track (The Wait) due to UK charts rules at the time, which in retrospect was a crappy move. They should have cared about the fans, not the charts. It worked though, this was their first hit 'single'.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Something I see all the time here is this being sold as banned and rare in the UK. They almost all, if not all of them, had that cover here on vinyl and it wasn't banned. I didn't see the cross sleeve until years after the album was released. It's a shame people fall for it and overpay.

Ingres3225 likes this.
  21. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

It's a good thing Monkees albums are easy to get because all of my Monkees collection is vinyl only. The highest I paid for was $35 for an original copy of BBM, but I listen to that one the most so it was worth it.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think we all have. Thankfully it hasn't been too many for me and I've never had to sell all or most of my collection. I've let some good records go though and cheaply. Some 90s indie albums are the ones I'd like back most (Screamadelica, Suede's debut, all of Morrissey's albums) but that's about it and the collection I have now is far better than what it was then. I have a fair bit of 90s vinyl including some sought after ones by the likes of Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Blur, The La's etc, but I should have bought or kept more. Money was tight though, so no real regrets.

23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Anything by Elvis surely hasn't held, even with the film from last year

agundy, BrentB, Chemguy and 1 other person like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Aside from a couple of early 1960s 78s that are very rare, I don't think of any Elvis UK RCA vinyl being worth much now. They sold loads and most of it stuff you can't imagine people going mad for. Roustabout soundtrack anyone?

The HMV records are the opposite, most of the 45s and the LPs will hold their high value. They're from when Elvis was cool and were out of print before 1958.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Grootna and phillyal1 like this.
  25. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

The ones not called Magic Christian Music, No Dice, Straight Up and Wish You Were Here seem rather cheap. Those however, not around me. I would nab Straight Up if I saw one for $15, but I know of 2 in the land of flea markets and they are both over $30.