AVR Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wildgift, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about... Thread Starter

I currently have a Yamaha RX-v2085. I have about 1,200-1,400 to play with after an insurance settlement replacing an old Denon. I'd like to use the money to replace the Yamaha.

I'm using it for a home theater, driving a 5.1 system with Swan speakers (still sound great) and a sub. I'm using a PS5 and an LG C2 77" OLED, as well as a Sony Blu-ray UBP-X800 for 4k; also, Apple TV 4K. Also using a Bluesound Node for Roon playback. I don't need earsplitting volume but nice sound and reasonable ease of use would be great. Don't need a zillion crazy DSP effects like "cavern club" (LOL) but a good processing system to simulate quad on non-quad playback would be nice.

I also use the AVR for listening to multichannel music on SACD/DVD-A.

I'd be very interested in recommendations. Thinking of a Denon 4700H but open to suggestions--Yamaha RX-A4A? Onkyo RZ50--leaning to that.
    Thanks!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I just sold one of the 4700s to a customer a few weeks ago. They are enjoying the unit quite a bit.....seems to be pretty nice so I bet it would work well for you.

The new Marantz Cinema 60 bumps your price up just a touch, but is also a really nice option.

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/cinema60

3. Wildgift

Many thanks. Marantz just out of my price range tho. 4700h only has one HDMI 2.1 input and who knows if I'll need another one in the years to come?

4. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

Anthem. an MRX-xxx, you can find them used - for that budget you might be able to get a used MRX-720 or better. If you want new, not sure what the market is in the US, but a new MRX 540 will run you ~1900CAD, so should be close to your budget in USD.

McLover and kevywevy like this.
  5. Wildgift

Looked at that but it's about $1,600; too much....

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Despite a well-known defect that cripple pretty much their entire line of AVRs made a little over a decade ago, I still really like Pioneer.

I own two: one for my family room HT (made before the bad period) and one for my workout room HT (made after the bad period.) They work flawlessly and have all the features I'll ever need for those applications. Plus, I still think that Pioneer's MCACC is one of the best room correction (etc.) programs going. I'm always impressed by how easy and well it works.

So... if I were shopping for a brand new AVR (or even another used one) I strongly suspect that I'd be looking to Pioneer. (The one in the workout room HT I bought used for $40CDN off kijiji.) And by the way, that's not me making a statement that Pioneer is better than anything else. Just my personal preference at this time.

Jeff

drgn95, quicksrt and Bingo Bongo like this.
  7. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

emotiva mr1

8. Wildgift

Looks lovely but no HDMI 2.1; waaaaay outta my range!

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I think the biggest differences these days in AVRs is the type of room correction they have. You would have do some research on which one is the one you would like.

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've been thinking about upgrading my 15-year-old Marantz SR5002. Music Direct has the SR5015 for $999 (down from $1499). Strangely, they also have an open-box one for $1199.

11. Wildgift

The RZ-50 uses Dirac, which many say is the best. Also, my living room has cathedral ceilings, a glass wall, and is open to the dining room/kitchen. It needs all the correction it can get.

12. tifoso48

tifoso48 Forum Resident

I have a Marantz SR 6013 for a number of years and it is doing a fantastic job for both Audio and Video. I have taken a quick look and they are available used in great condition for well below your budget.

It has all the goodies you are looking for and a very excellent room correction program with the supplied mice.

13. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I might be shopping for one of these in the future. Mind if I ask what the well known defect was and if it affects newer units?

Dave112 likes this.
  14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

This thread gives you all the information you need: it's due to a couple of defective chips; it affects a large, but limited, number of model numbers; it only affects units made in 2011 and 2012; and there is no longer any repair solution.

The problem started with units manufactured part way through 2011, and ended part way through 2012, but I'd skip both years entirely to be safe. One of mine was made before, the other after. They're both ok and working great. I had one manufactured during the period and it had failed before I bought it - which the seller apprised me of. I then embarked on an independent effort to find a fix, since the period when Pioneer was offering a free fix had expired. I bought recommended replacement chips and had a local company do the replacement. But there was no way to get the installed firmware to accept the new chips, or even allow itself to be successfully updated, and Pioneer no longer had anyone able to help. Even a certified Pioneer shop said I was SOL. Mind you I bought that unit for $60 knowing it had failed, specifically to see if a fix could be had. It wasn't a total write-off since it came with a remote and the MCACC mic - both of which were missing from the next one I bought for $40. All the repair attempts (parts and labour) cost me nothing as the shop I used agreed to take it on as a challenge, and I'd only pay if the fix worked, which it didn't. Had it worked the cost was to be $200 - parts and labour.

Basically, if you stick to something with a manufactured sticker on the back with a date of 2013 and later, you are ok.

Jeff

Dave112 and mike catucci like this.
  15. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated!

16. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I use the Anthem MRx-540 w/a Rotel 5-channel amp and a couple subs (MRX-300 for ~10 yrs prior.)
    Works very well for me. The Anthem ARC is really impressive. I imagine the other contenders in this price range woul work well, too, as it's pretty competitive.

Edit: Crutchfield has the latest 540 for $1,600...nice price but may still be more than your budget

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  17. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

No, Dirac is not the best and very intrusive (filter implementation is rough, etc). It may fit the needs of the non-audiophile hometheater guys. If you plan to use it for multichannel music/high end rig/etc, prepare to be disappointed.

18. Wildgift

So—4700h? I can get it at accessories for less for my budget. I suppose if I need more HDMI 2.1 inputs I can get an extender box.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What is a better room correction available on currently available AVRs and prepros?
    Not disappointed in the least with Dirac. It makes an obvious SQ difference when listening to multi-channel music in my room.

If one doesn't like the way Dirac makes corrections or how it sounds in their room then that's understandable. But I've read numerous actual Dirac user opinions and many are very happy with the results. Quite a few of these users have very nice systems.

20. Wildgift

So: 4700h or rz50 are both the same price: about 1299. My completely uninformed opinion, suggests that the denon is more solidly built, a bit more powerful whereas the onkyo has an arguably better room correction system. It also has more HDMI 2.1 inputs. I’m genuinely torn.

21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not that it really matters, but this is a Refurb unit.

22. Wildgift

Understoood. I’ve had good luck in the past.

23. Wildgift

Update: opted for the 4700 new from Amazon/Crutchfield. My wife agreed. It would be worthwhile to buy a new unit and have that security. It comes next week. Super excited.

head_unit and Bill Mac like this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Pretty sure the x4700h is what I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on for my 5.1 setup.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Where I have bought my last 2 Denon’s without problems. I believe the 4700 is &1299, free shipping and a 3 year warr.

Barry_NJ likes this.