Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spieg16, Mar 16, 2023.

1. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Thanks Jason. I'm wondering if you can enlighten us as to which versions, original LP vs. cassette (or other) are going to be used on the upcoming "SMS" reissue:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

floweringtoilet, hutlock and Patanoia like this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's 40 year anniversary, for gosh sakes.

MRamble, Christopher B, ARK and 2 others like this.
  3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Really excited to finally get "Cities" (a major TH fave) and "Big Business/I Zimbra" restored to the soundtrack, like the old "Special Edition" version!! I actually bought a Laserdisc copy of SMS in 2020 with plans to rip the "special edition" soundtrack for myself, but... 3 years later and I still don't have a Laserdisc player. :eek:

I'm a little bummed there's no CD release, but I can live with digital for now. (Anyone know if the vinyl will have a download code for lossless?)

re: endless TH reunion talk. I don't blame Byrne at all for not wanting to reunite. Tina (in particular) and Chris have said some truly unprofessional things about him over the years. Besides, what's in it for Byrne? He's put together countless bands post-TH that can groove as well as they could at their peak, without bringing along all of the personality stuff.

Imagine you had a job 30 years ago that you liked at first, but then your coworkers were endless griping, so you left and started your own business. Turns out, you love being self-employed! Meanwhile, your former coworkers spend the next 30 years publicly griping about you. Why would you ever want to work with them again, even if only briefly?

4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I’m also curious if “Cities” and “Big Business/I Zimbra” will be remixed. As I recall (but my memory might be playing tricks on me), the entire soundtrack was remixed for the 1999 re-release, but not those songs, which were only included on the DVD in their original 1984 “special edition” mixes (and old video quality, too).

Anyway, I hope they aren’t clumsily/incongruously inserted into the new re-release.

qtrules and mBen989 like this.
  5. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Considering that the band are writing new liner notes for the vinyl release, I get the feeling that they had to have at least some input in re-adding the songs.

pobbard likes this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

they shouldn’t be if they still have the 24 track tapes.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Tbf, I really like Jerry Harrison's solo work. Sadly it only stretched the three albums before he went into production. As for the Frantz's, I've never been a Tom Tom Club fan, and I'm not aware of anything other than with that moniker from them. Reading Chris Frantz's autobiography last year said it all - he spends a good amount of the book attacking and demeaning Byrne's contribution. If he feels that way, then let him have his say. But when it comes to possibly reforming (for no good reason) it really drives the nail into the coffin. I just can't imagine Byrne would want anything to do with them. That he doesn't duck into the cesspool and speak out against them, and prefers to frame it as a musical difference, is to his credit, imo.

JoeRockhead, MikeMig, Solace and 6 others like this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Weren't the songs on the Special Edition CD several years back?

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No, it’s only the songs that were in the movie. (Which was still a significant expansion of the original album of course…)

ARK and Vaughan like this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Oh, "Everybody's Coming to My House" sounds like a Talking Heads song, so you felt annoyed? Plenty of his solo material has no resemblance to TH, Rei Momo, collaborations with St. Vincent and Brian Eno.

It's not as if Byrne solo work was as commingled with the group work, as Bryan Ferry was with Roxy Music.

11. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Call me crazy but I think there's going to be a big announcement.

wavethatflag and fishcane like this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

[​IMG]:agree::agree::agree:

13. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I've always said that the Talking Heads are one of those groups that grew into each other, because they were so ahead of their time. A reunion record would have fit in comfortably within the 2006-2012 indie rock period. Today, a new record would still fit in comfortably, but even moreso because Byrne now has a higher profile than he did a decade ago, with his first Top 10 album in 2018 and his SNL appearance.

14. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I think they're going to tour. Just a gut feeling.

wavethatflag and fishcane like this.
  15. Not interested in the vinyl. Would like a CD along with the 4K and/or Blu-Ray. A pity. Yes, I know there’s a digital version but I guess I’m old fashioned.

tcj, Jarleboy, JeffreyB and 3 others like this.
  16. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I wish, but I doubt it. You may want to take some antacids for that gut feeling . :D

Chris says that they are on good terms again. I just can’t see a reunion tour happening. Byrne recently stated he isn’t interested in the money a reunion would generate.

But crazier things have happened in the last 10 years.

I hope you are right. I’ve been wrong many times.

MikeMig, Solace, anthontherun and 3 others like this.
  17. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

My VHS bought in the 90's had the bonus songs integrated into the movie with yhe same quality. It really improves the continuity to have Cities in yhe correct spot. But the Blu Ray has them seperate in the bonus material and unrestored, so grey are much lower quality than the movie.
    If they are mixing the songs for Atmos and the LP, I hope to see them integrated into the movie.

TheSeldomSeenKid and pobbard like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I agree. I sense a reunion of some sort is on tap, either a performance or a tour. Comments from Frantz all seem VERY encouraging about how they have been getting along….These guys have a bigger fan base among the younger generations then anyone else from that era. They would sell across all demographics

Last week in New Haven…
    [​IMG]

19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A tour would be epic.

Mr. Byrne, to no one in particular: “Now… where did I put The Big Suit?

I'll wait patiently for the announcement of the CD release.

20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

This pic + Byrne picking up his dry cleaning...you never know

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

adrian I’m sure would be all in!
    [​IMG]

austingonzo, vince, Merrick and 6 others like this.
  22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I agree, a NYC theatre residency, like American Utopia, would be a big draw.

jupiter8, fishcane and AintGotHalfOf like this.
  23. I am so in for the full concert vinyl!
    I have seen all the members of Talking Heads live but not as Talking Heads; unlike what so many crave, I am not so much into all these old groups reforming & touring.
    Make your own art & live your own retirements. It's earned.

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Oddly enough, last night I found the original coming soon poster from Stop Making Sense.
    It was folded up and placed in a Talking Heads 12".
    Warner Bros. would send packets of posters to our store and then we'd order p.o.p. directly from the local WEA office.

DHamilton, tedkul, dee and 1 other person like this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Warm, friendly band cooperation and participation in a reissue project of one of their great achievements (and not just a film and soundtrack but a pretty good stand-in for a greatest-hits album) is more than enough for me and very cool.