Anything Phil Collins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Oct 29, 2020.

1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

:agree:
    :shh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after the final Genesis show @lilyjcollins tweeted ...........

Tonight marks the end of an era. To have witnessed this last show was truly the memory of a lifetime and an event I shall hold in my heart forever. Endlessly grateful doesn't begin to do it justice. So much love was left on that O2 stage and an even bigger amount shared between an audience who didn't want it to end. Thank you @genesis_band for the memories, thank you dad for being such an inspiration, and thank you @nic_collins for making me the proudest sister there is. 50 years of songs later and still generations more to celebrate you long after this tour has finished...

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've never been a very big Phil Collins fan. I picked up an early CD of FACE VALUE in a budget bin in Switzerland as it had no cover. It was cheap so I thought "why not?"

Recently I had a desire to own "Sussudio" on disc, so I found a cheap CD on Discogs. It's been sitting by my computer waiting to be filed. As I went to file it, I discovered that I have a copy of ...BUT SERIOUSLY filed next to FACE VALUE. I have absolutely no memory of acquiring this CD nor why I would have bought it. I recognize a few of the songs from radio but they were never big favorites.

Another oddness is that usually when I acquire a CD, I'll rip it into the computer. This one was never ripped until just now.

This copy looks like a standard Made In USA as an SRC pressing.

3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I’d forgotten these details but remember it now, something to be said for bad judgment. Well, we’re evaluating him musically here not on his personal faux pas. Most artists at one time or another made mistakes…big and small.

maui jim likes this.
  4. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I have read other exaggerations and false claims he’s made possibly due to confusions.. I don’t know if it’s because of memory problems, alcohol problems or what.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    maui jim likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I think Phil Collins lost his appeal post-Abacab. I think when he started to focus more on vocals and less on drums is where I departed the good ship Genesis. Overexposure in the 80s certainly didn't jive too well with me either. I mean good for him, he made a lot of money, but at what cost? He's had numerous marriages and is now plagued with health issues. No doubt he spread himself too thinly, especially at his commercial peak.

6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

7. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

9. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Indeed. They are from an interview session for the YouTube channel Drumeo. Taken in Switzerland a few months ago as you suggested. Very, very much looking forward to this hour plus long discussion very much about Phil's drumming. Notice the Lamb LP by the cane! Lovely message from Nik.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I know extraordinarily bright, accomplished people who are romantics and repeatedly make mistakes of the heart--which is what seems to be the case here. That doesn't make them less bright or accomplished.

11. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Resident

And that’s the comment I had hoped I’d find here. :edthumbs:

Couldn’t agree more. Though most people with whom I share that perspective simply dismiss it outright. Thank you.

BPMC, altaeria, MikeVielhaber and 3 others like this.
  12. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Phil went from being a great progressive rock guy to being a huge figure in 80s pop culture and innovating that "80s sound." MTV, Miami Vice, Phil Collins/Genesis. I'm not even the biggest fan of his pop stuff but I like it. I think he has a fine legacy.

BPMC, GMfan87' and tug_of_war like this.
  13. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

3:06-3:10.

Bungo likes this.
  14. jacchank

jacchank Forum Resident

remember the ALAMO!!!!!!

15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

+1 :righton:

Spokeless and PhoffiFozz like this.
  16. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Resident

I know relatively little about him, other than to notice that he didn’t seem to take himself too seriously. If there is one thing I like in a successful musician/artist, it is this quality. Without humility/humor, many become tiresome.

17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

:)
    Collins deserves more credit .. solo career alone, he had such a long run, everything he released from 80's -90's was a big hit, had lots of radio play.
    I always liked the majority of his songs, should go back and listen to the albums.

Spokeless and tug_of_war like this.
  18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

March 18 ..... happy birthday to Lily, 34 today.

[​IMG]

:cheers:

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

which band does she play in???

20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

No talent!

Trader Joe likes this.
  21. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Looks just like her Dad.... ;)

EG.

23. REPRE$ENTIN CURRENCY

REPRE$ENTIN CURRENCY Forum Resident

You are blaming his success decades ago on his poor health now that he is in his early 70s?

24. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I guess I‘m one of the few persons on this planet who loves proggy Genesis, poppy Genesis, Peter Gabriel solo and Phil Collins solo:laugh:

ARK, Hep Alien, serj and 9 others like this.
  25. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

I'm right there with you!