LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

You betcha.

I used to collect Bill Cosby's albums before the revelation, but especially treasured the musical ones. They were never expensive, but they could cost me anywhere from $10 - $25 depending on title and condition. After he was convicted, I saw a sealed copy of Silver Throat in a record store for $8 and couldn't help but grab it, since I figured my copies weren't apt to be so pristine. The seller told me to forget the $8 and just take it for nothing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Vintage NM Cosby records are dirt cheap

Grootna likes this.
  3. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

A whole lot of doo-wop records have lost their value and luster over the years.

Jarleboy and BrentB like this.
  4. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

I was thinking a lot of late 50's-early 60's LP's have probably lowered in value.unless it's something truly rare. However 45 values seem to remain strong.

Jarleboy and nosliw like this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I used to have a bunch. Bought some new in the 80's but several were from dollar bins or Goodwill.

These days I suspect some stores refuse to stock them.

6. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Artists careers can be fleeting and commercial success might elude them. Talent is only one part of the equation. The value others place on a piece of art is plain nuts. For me buying a record had zero connection to whether that record would retain or increase its monetary value, it was always about the music and still is. Personally I don't give a stuff about the current value of a record I bought as a teenager back in the 70s. I value the amount of pleasure it has given and might still give me over the years.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. austingonzo

austingonzo Forum Resident

I am watching hard bop closely for signs of weakening due to changing tastes and the reissue market. Dixieland and swing are the cautionary tale for jazz collectors, but I already see weakness in early 50's Getz, Oscar Peterson, Krupa, etc., versus late 50's-early 60's. I'm wondering when tastes will shift hard to fusion so some of us can go back to picking up cheap bop.

Edit: my kid would rather listen to Cobham and 70's Byrd and Hancock than the grail Sonny Criss I'm spending good money for now.

8. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler Thread Starter

All good points. However my thread goal is not really about the actual monetary investment/return of certain records. More of what I had in mind was to bring awareness to the fact some records may have come down in price so much that collectors/listeners may now want to seek them out. I avoided certain records for years until the prices came down and then I finally bought them.

9. christien

christien Active Member

Yes, I also have sold several for £30+ each, and have several more listed on eBay. They are easy to pick up from the Charity shops here in the UK for about £1, but no one realizes that they are fetching good money, and so they pass them by. Thanks to Melissa Murphy for pointing out the price that these were fetching on her YouTube channel.

BrentB likes this.
  10. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Have you read about the Great Tulip Crash of the 17th Century? Always worth a look!

Earscape and Grootna like this.
  11. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

A good time to buy up any Gary Glitter that you can lay your hands on.

12. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Not to mention that it is used on all the reissues.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

Oh, wow, I got a VG+ copy from a bargain bin for $1 a couple years ago. I must've gotten lucky.

JuanTCB likes this.
  14. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

It's easy to speculate that the rare and collectible original So Cal punk and hardcore 7" stuff would peak in value at some point. Though some things reach escape velocity. But I'm not a true price-aware collector at all, I just remember the mania for those records seemed pretty feverish for a while.

15. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Or Rolf Harris

dwilpower likes this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Beatles fan club Christmas album perhaps.

17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

At the table I stock at a vintage shop the 60s Pop/Rock LPs tend to just sit there for months that turn into years. RS, Beach Boys and Beatles I can move but Kinks, Everly Bros., Jan & Dean, Puckett, not so much.

Earscape and Man at C&A like this.
  18. US Kinks pressingsI’m guessing? I don’t think those were ever fast movers.

Man at C&A and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. lazydawg58

It seems to me that Blue is the only Joni album that has been a relatively expensive one used? I have all her vinyl releases. My original copies from my early teens were in rough shape so I worked to pick them up in recent years. I don't think I paid more that $3 for any of them with the exception of Blue which I paid about $20 for.

Fender Relic and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Can't move The Kinks? That's surprising. Their original LPs sell for a lot here and are mostly very hard to find.

21. lazydawg58

Yes. You would think vinyl collectors would be the ones that would be excited about them and snatch them up when they appear. But no, slow movers.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Most want UK Kinks pressings, if you had those in nice shape they’d move fast I bet.

23. lazydawg58

I'll see. I just put out Kinkdom and that early greatest hits, both VG+ vinyl but the Kinkdom jacket was V+, $8 each. Maybe the will surprise me. It only thanks one buyer!

24. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    There is a 2nd record that came out right before the assassination that got recalled I believe. It' rarer I've only seen it a few times but it's worth next to nothing regardless no one wants comedy albums especially political comedy.

geo50000 and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I guess a copy of 'Bill Cosby Talks To Kids About Drugs' goes for a pretty penny.