Getting Picky About 'Sticky Fingers'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Seen dozens of lists and read hundreds of posts here about how 'Sticky Fingers' is the favourite Rolling Stones album.

Is it?

I remember vividly buying it on release when I was a young teen and thinking it was incredible. It was the first Stones album I bought in 'real time' and that added to its allure I suppose.

I remember too reading the long interview in Rolling Stone with Keith Richards about the same time while listening to the album.

Played it plenty over the years. But it started to lose its glow for me some time ago.
    'Brown Sugar' was not the thrill it once was. 'Bitch' was getting generic. 'Sway' started dulling me out as did the bloozey 'You Gotta Move'. Even duller was the overlong 'Wild Horses'

There's still a few things on it I like. 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' is a groove and 'Moonlight Mile' is beautiful but, as a whole, 'Sticky Fingers' leaves me a bit cold now.

Fullbug, Nielsoe, Jimmy B. and 12 others like this.
  2. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

I've never enjoyed it as a complete album, although the songs you dislike are my faves. The duds for me are Still got the Blues, Dead Flowers and Sister Morphine. I still think Moonlight Mile is among the best things they ever did.

Dovetail7, Hootsmon, mleffler and 8 others like this.
  3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It’s a perfect album.
    And there is not many.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I always liked it, but while I find I don't play very familiar music all that much anymore, Sticky Fingers would likely still be the first Stone album I'd reach for. "Brown Sugar" to me is the quintessential Stones tune, "Sway" is magical. "Wild Horses" is achingly gorgeous. Top notch.

5. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

6. zither

zither Lodger

I'm struggling to find anything negative to say about Sticky. To my ears, it's their best sounding album.

7. NoRoboGuy

NoRoboGuy Arbiter of Musical Eclecticness

I guess I am biased because it was my first Stones album. First impressions, you know.

8. claytonretired

claytonretired Forum Resident

It's my second favorite behind Let it Bleed

9. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I can not handle this kind of negativity.

:D

It's a great album, man. You might just be burned out on it? Some albums suffer from overplay, even if you go long periods without listening to them.

DJ WILBUR, toasty, Amnion and 12 others like this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Best sounding? Might be 'Black and Blue' which I prefer these days to 'Sticky Fingers'

Fullbug, malco49, webmatador and 5 others like this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It's the last Stones album I bought - only last year after watching the Fonda show - and it's excellent. In my Stones top 4 with B&B, SG and TY. I got the Virgin Collectors Edition mini lp cd version with the tiny zipper.
    It's diverse with the ballads and it rocks.

12. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Oo
    In basement room with . We'll you know the rest.

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Exile generally tops the polls.

Zappateer, ARK and MDG45 like this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

It's not a matter of burn out.
    There are several Stones albums I have heard as often or even more than 'Sticky Fingers' and I enjoy them as much as ever.

15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Cat think you fell out of da breadfruit tree again or just crazy from too much Sun ala Roth. Wanna pick on Stones try my fave whipping post
    Undercover. U take a yr off and this is the best u got? Was very worried bout them til Harlem Shuffle came on the radio for the 1st time
    Nowback to the sweet sounds of I Got da Blues :shtiphat:

twicks likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Does it?
    I think 'Let It Bleed' and ' Sticky Fingers' are more favoured.

SteveSDCA and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I did a thread on this album not too long ago. I find it uneven, some of the slower ones are draggers ("Sister Morphine" and especially the seemingly endless "Wild Horses), but the good songs rank with the best they ever did (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch, Dead Flowers, and Brown Sugar). So way more good than bad, and it's probably the best that Charlie's drums ever sounded :)

18. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Exile is My favorite Stones album. Rocks harder than any other, one of the fastest moving double albums ever :D

cporcp, TommyTremor, Muggles and 4 others like this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

I quite like 'Undercover' but 'Harlem Shuffle' is tres blah.

2141 and maui jim like this.
  20. zither

zither Lodger

I like the production. It's not perfect, but I see that as a positive. Gritty and, well, 'Stonesy'.

joethomas1 and Bill Diercks like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

What I particularly like about 'Black and Blue' besides its sound is its funk. I like funky Stones.

22. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Snoozefests You Gotta Move & I Got The Blues kill it stone dead. Sway always sounded horrendous. As for Jagger's hokum on Dead Flowers, oh please.

23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

This. Basically, letter for letter, I agree (except that personally I also reach for a few other Stones albums fairly frequently too, even still: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile, Some Girls and Tattoo You).

I'd add that Can't You Hear Me Knocking is another blinder, as is Moonlight Mile, and Bitch is an incredibly great Stones rocker. The other 4 tracks don't quite reach the level of those 6 absolute classic gems, but I enjoy all of them a lot - and more importantly, they fit the needs of the album as a whole just perfectly, adding variety, additional textures and moods.

I can't think of a thing I'd change about it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    No Blue Skies, twicks, RogerB and 5 others like this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Nope

25. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Mainstreet, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock & Roll, Black & Blue, Some Girls - OMG, WHAT A RUN!
    These 3: Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Mainstreet are the ones I usually see mentioned as favorite Stones album. Can't see NOT having any of the 8.
    [​IMG]