The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong, but something about that article, the repetition of the phrasing and the generic descriptive language, kinda makes me suspect it was written with Chat GPT or a similar AI programme. Also, (I'm going from the Singersroom version of the article here btw, so apologies if this error isn't present in the Gold version) the 'Scattered' section had a glitch in the matrix, inwhere someone or something seems to have confused it with the 1997 Green Day song of the same name, to wit:

“Scattered” is a song by the American punk rock band, Green Day. The track appears on their 1997 album, Nimrod. The song is an introspective ballad that explores themes of loneliness, isolation, and the struggle to find one’s place in the world.

The lyrics are poignant and reflective, with lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong delivering a heartfelt performance. The chorus, “Wherever you go, you know I’ll be there,” is a powerful expression of loyalty and devotion in the face of adversity.

Musically, “Scattered” is a departure from the band’s signature punk sound. The song is slower, with acoustic guitars and keyboards providing a more subdued backdrop to the emotional lyrics. However, the track still features the band’s trademark energy and passion, with Armstrong’s vocals soaring over the top of the instrumentation.

“Scattered” is a deeply personal and emotional song that resonates with anyone who has ever felt lost or alone. It is a reminder that even in our darkest moments, there is always someone who cares for us and will be there to support us. The song is a testament to the enduring power of friendship and the human spirit, and a testament to Green Day’s ability to connect with their fans on a deep and meaningful level.'

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

!!!! Unbelievable. (The Gold one actually addresses The Kinks:
    “The Kinks last album Phobia had came out in 1993, just before the peak of a Britpop scene that would give them the credit and love they had been unfairly missing the last couple of decades odd.

It was too long and padded out somewhat, but its highlights proved what those who had kept up long knew – the Kinks could always surprise you with a great single at any point in their career.

The closing track of Phobia and the band's last original single 'Scattered' was a beauiful study of mortality ("To the fields we are scattered / From the day we are born") that was dedicated to Ray's late mum Annie Florence Davies and friend Carol Bryans.”

3. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

That first list/article is great! Solid choices and some good writing and reviews.

The second one though, with the songs in reverse, seems like it was written by some third-rate AI engine that scraped Wikipedia. Its description of a Rock n Roll Fantasy is actually about some different song, and it talks about the wrong Scattered (Green Day’s 1997 song).

edit: @ajsmith beat me to it!

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The only other Rock’n’roll Fantasy that immediately comes to mind is Bad Company but it doesn’t include the “I wanna be a rock’n’roll star” lyrics that the “article” writes about. So a mystery.

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

And who can forget that classic chorus of 'We Love You, Victoria!' o_O .. this definitely seems like an AI programme making best guesses as to what the content and lyrics to some songs would be.

the song’s upbeat tempo and catchy chorus capture the sense of optimism and pride that characterized Victoria’s reign. Lead singer Ray Davies sings about the cultural and economic achievements of the era, from the Great Exhibition of 1851 to the building of the London Underground.

At the same time, Davies acknowledges the darker side of Victoria’s reign, including the exploitation of the working class and the suppression of dissent. He sings of “street fights and invasions” and the struggle for democracy.

Despite these complexities, the song ultimately celebrates Victoria as a symbol of national pride and unity. The chorus, with its rousing call of “We love you, Victoria!”, reflects the song’s anthemic quality and its place as a beloved classic rock anthem.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D These revisionist lyrics will foment a maelstrom in the Kinks Quiz. Dissension amongst The Members of the Club. We must squelch this parasitical heresy…quickly and smartly!

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Another poison pill: Till the End of the Day
    “The lyrics tell the story of a relationship that’s on the rocks, with the singer vowing to stick by his partner through thick and thin. The chorus is particularly memorable, with its sing-along refrain of “I’ll love you till the end of the day.”

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Unbelievable. Celluloid Heroes, too. Nothing is sacred.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

10. All Down The Line

You've covered your bases!

11. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

[​IMG]

12. All Down The Line

Now that was an....... Education!

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I’m glad it avoids the obvious hits, but I’m surprised that it concentrates on the Pye era, thereby solidifying the attitude that they weren’t much good after 1971.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yeah, I think that about the first volume of the 'Journey' comp in general. Plays way too much like a 70s randomised Pye comp with weaker tracks spread carelessly about like potholes for the uninitiated, and with just a handful of later tracks thrown in (concentrating bizarrely on 'Schoolboys', I mean I love that album but it's strange to focus JUST on that one).. with there being a much increased wider appreciation for The Kinks later work amongst music enthusiasts in recent years, this comp seems determined to double back/down on the stale old 'don't bother after 197early' narrative. And I'm aware that this bizarre track listing is the result of letting the reunited-in-the-boardroom-at-least triforce of Ray/Dave/Mick design by committee, and thus I can't help but conclude that even in 2023, The Kinks remain their own worst enemy in terms of promotion...

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Re: today’s live tracks. Very nice with the standout being ‘The Tourist.’

(I’m now previewing ‘Americana’; advance homework.)

16. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Thanks for posting, Avid Pyrrhicvictory, I appreciate it. Well the track listing is OK until it ends w/a clunk with "Education" which I didn't care for. I'll probably get it anyway.

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Oddly random tracklist on that bonus disc.

Not sure the top 20's are particularly close to mine.... but I'm not even sure I could reasonably do one.

18. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I can’t grumble too much about the top twenty list. Although my favourite Ray song, isn’t on there, that being Autumn Almanac. No ShangriLa or anything off Muswell Hillbillies. I guess I might take off Set Me Free and put one of those on instead. But that’s just me.

19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I would say only five of their choices would make my top twenty, but I agree with @mark winstanley. It would be very difficult to narrow down.

20. donstemple

This was just uploaded to YouTube yesterday. The Boston Rock Opera’s performance of Preservation from 1998. The performance of Daylight is pretty much what I imagined it would look like performed by a cast on stage. I love that song so much.

Anyone ever see this? Either on video or live?

21. donstemple

Roundhouse (Part 2)

The section of the set list that says this is not entirely a nostalgia act. A couple things stood out to me:

1) The change in lyric to Sunny Afternoon to “looking for my ice cold beer” instead of actually drinking it.

2) That joke about the crowd genuinely enjoying themselves, complete with a “You’re obviously thinking of England.” Did he really just make a joke about closing one’s eyes and um, enjoying themselves?

3) Ray looks so comfortable up there and the show’s got this intimate feel. Really enjoying this.

4) Perhaps more people here will love this performance of One More Time since it removes that 2nd verse about capitalism, and keeps it as a relationship song. What a beautiful song.

Edit: Oops, I went one song too far! Oh well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

This thread is essentially what would make it incredibly difficult to narrow down....

I could say that, contrary to most folks
    Celluloid Heroes and 20th Century Man off One For The Road, would certainly be on that list... and if we discounted live tracks the studio versions would be on that list... and to some degree that's because those two songs have captivated me for about forty years or something... after that... the wealth of music in the catalog is just too rich to break it down.....

If we look at the singles... it seems like You Really Got Me and All Day And All Of The Night should be on there, due to the importance of those two songs.... but I'm not sure that if I was picking favourites either would actually make it.... and then there is the issue of... is that because I am just too familiar with them? Too many years of hearing them? I don't know....
    but after that
    See My Friends
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Dandy
    Dead End Street
    Waterloo Sunset
    Autumn Almanac
    Days
    Picture Book
    Victoria
    Lola
    Supersonic Rocket Ship
    Sitting In The Midday Sun
    etc etc

The b-sides
    Big Black Smoke
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    She's Got Everything
    Creeping Jean
    Do You Remember Walter
    This Man He Weeps Tonight
    etc etc

Album tracks that really grabbed me on this journey
    Something Better Beginning
    Rainy Day In June
    Fancy'
    David Watts
    Two Sisters
    Lazy Old Sun
    The Whole damn Village Green album
    The Whole damn Arthur album
    etc etc

then there are tracks that were unreleased that really appealed to me

It's just not possible to make a choice in all that for me.

23. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I saw this live in Boston back in 1998. We already discussed this way back in the Preservation era of this thread. I even posted (through Our Headmaster) the show pamphlet and one of the Flashbucks they threw around at one point in the show.

24. donstemple

Ah thank you! I do remember it was mentioned, not sure if there was video posted! Somewhere I hope there is a high school drama director that is a Kinks fan, and this can be resurrected for the 50th anniversary of the album. :)

25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah. I briefly tried, but couldn’t do it. I have a 100 song Kinks playlist and that’s even leaving out many favorites. I’m sure some of us already posted some sort of song lists when we wrapped up The Kinks discography.