LP's that have NOT held their value over the decades.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Mar 17, 2023.

1. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

yes, Face's albums deserve a mention
    in NM some are $50+
    others at least $35+

2. brucewayneofgotham

"Blondes.." has had a new life in my area, NM is $25
    "Do Ya ...." is fairly popular with the under 40 crowd

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. brucewayneofgotham

In NM , you can still get book value

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The elephant in the room is "NM". Lets be honest. Most LPs offered as, "NM" are really VG+ or VG. I don't know how many I've picked up that certainly look NM, but once they go on the turntable and are accurately assessed there are a few pops, clicks, or some light surface noise. The truth is, most used records are Very Good. Remember VG means that there are some imperfections but it is an enjoyable listen.

5. brucewayneofgotham

I'm not , currently she is dead last in the RNR HOF voting , by the voter that returned the ballot early.
    It is early , and only 20% of the ballots are in
    So we shall see

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never even seen an original HIStory LP. I get the impression that vinyl held on for longer in the UK than it did in the US, but by the mid 1990s it was fading here a lot too. I wouldn't have noticed it at the time. It wasn't a record I'd have touched. Two vinyl albums that were common here on release, shops had loads of them in stock even when they didn't sell much other vinyl anymore, are the first two Oasis albums. HMV had piles of them. They still sell for a lot now though and would think they are scarce outside of the UK, but there was loads of them around here.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Definitely, I also don't think VG records should be dismissed. They almost always clean up into something very close to excellent and if people are annoyed by the odd pop or click, when it's a few seconds or the occasional isolated light click, vinyl isn't for them. Most sellers claiming their records are near mint haven't listened to the records throughout, on a revealing system at a good volume with no distractions. I'd never claim near mint unless I had done that and the sound was near mint as well as the visual. If this isn't done, people are just being wishful or making it up. A lot of new vinyl doesn't hold up to near mint standard, far from it.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You're getting $25 for Blondes Have More Fun?! It's close to unsellable for more than £5 here, regardless of condition!

What do you charge for albums that are in high demand, have credibility, but also sold a lot and aren't particularly rare? Something like say, The Final Cut, or Purple Rain?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  9. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

An unedifying discussion if you don't take inflation into account.

A record that cost A$5 in 1972 would, with no change in real terms, cost A$57.86 in 2022.

Most records have not 'held their value'.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There actually is one from the late 60s where he has a sketch about drugging women. He must have regretted that one. I think it got used against him in court.

11. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Two Little Boys... or Jake the Peg, with the extra leg... famous for playing with his didgeridoo

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Spanish Fly." Mentioned earlier in the thread.

13. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

It's best to remain oblivious about a musician's personal life, unless you only want to listen to boring music from musicians with (as far as you can know) morally blameless lives.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course! I knew I'd read it somewhere recently! :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  15. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

So true for 1950s era albums. Elvis, Little Richard, the Everlys and others used to go for so much more in VG+ or even below. Definitely the Everlys have gone down..I think I paid $10 each for their Cadence Los and their WB Lps are mostly in the under $10 category. They used to mostly be $20-50, and they are fine albums too.

caravan70, lazydawg58 and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Following this thread is doing a pretty good job of convincing me that collectible LPs that have not held their value over the decades is not really a thing, basically, despite scattered pesky exceptions.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

In a way it's a shame, but in another it's great that some very old original LPs of magnificent music are affordable. Not everything should be for the rich! I do despair if it's true that people really are paying $25 for common crap era Rod Stewart albums and almost ignoring the Everlys and Little Richard, but you can't teach stupid.

18. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

Well I learned a few things from our good friend in Bunkville. Don’t go to Bunkville to buy LPs. You’ll get ripped off. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Klan meeting to attend. o_O

19. Big Band albums seem to be not holding their value as they used to. Something tells me that the classic Jazz titles by Herbie Hancock and Cecil Taylor will continue to hold their value. Herbie's early 70s albums feature terrific music. Some music won't date as easily or as quickly. Politics and crime can play a role in sinking the demand for the output of some artists as in the case of Billy Cosby. Much of this is simple supply and demand. When fewer pressings were made and the music/cover becomes more popular over time, it's inevitable that the value will increase. Look at Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. As the album received more and more exposure decades after its release, more and more younger fans appeared. It's now a very pricy album in NM shape.

It's my belief that sex still sells and that records with cheesecake models on the cover tend to hold their value more often than not (not so much the Whipped Cream and Other Delights album). I saw Candy-O by The Cars selling for $20 at a record store, and one has to admit that the Vargas cover is beautiful, but I was surprised it was so expensive since I sometimes find it in thrift shops and it sold so many copies upon release. I'm sure a Millennial or Gen Zer may consider paying that price for it. Perhaps that isn't a good example. There are many 1960s and 1970s-era Jazz and Japanese albums with gorgeous cheesecake models on the covers and the sleazier the better. I think that many folks will always be interested in exploring music when the cover is seductive, but the music has to be good as well. This isn't always the case, but more times than not, I find it so. Richard "Groove" Holmes comes to mind with his albums Good Vibrations and Hot Tat. I don't think that many of those titles initially sold so well.

Stone Turntable and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  20. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I keep thinking the 1st press of The Offs first album has to crash. It a decent album but it's only the early Basquiat work on the cover that drives the price. Without that it's a $30-50 album. Not the $300+ it fetches otherwise.

Luckily, for what I paid, I think I'd always be able to get my money back if it came to it.

21. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

LP pricing is an art more than a science, people are going to pay what it's worth to them. That's why there is always that weird outlier where someone paid $100 for a record on ebay and other 3 sales that month go for $20. Some artists sell for more in some areas and some collectible records you can't give away locally. As an LP buyer/processor at a record store I use a combination of ebay/discogs/popsike and my knowledge of my local market.

22. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

There is definitely a regional aspect to it all. I would love to sell all the copies of Lionel Ritchie’s self titled and Can’t Slow Down that I can scrounge from the second hand stores (at 25 cents to $1) for half the price they are going for in Bunkville. If it’s true, I need to load my car up with thrifty LPs and head to Bunkville. One day on the streets could pay my yearly real estate and school tax.

23. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

I'd be fascinated to see, say, ten year historic completed sales for Nirvana on Vertigo compared with Nirvana on Geffen.

Seen a few 4 figure LPs on record shop walls that end in the hundreds on auction, ostensibly similar condition... prices can fluctuate wildly each week, it's a rollercoaster. Something ended earlier tonight on £6.50 I woulda gone just over 20 on had I been at the computer, people get lucky all the time, while sellers lose out. It's the same with the vintage equipment. If no one else bids, a 150 quid amp one week struggles to make 50-70 the next, both great working condition while a clearly battered one sits there on BIN at 200 for half a year :shrug:

The arbitrage is often quite blatant and shameless: a record closes one week on 30-40, posted, delivered, up for sale on another account next week for 120 Make offer, blam 90 :sigh:

caravan70 and Quakerism like this.
  24. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Cosby, off to the tip with the Glitters, Dubliners, Galways, Spinners, Harris (not Anita), billion sellers Last-Conniff-Kampf, TOTP bikini dollies, Country Greats (sic), Mantowotist, badly worn Leo Sayers, Band on the Run, one with the pool balls on the cover as well!? Donated a burst spine scuffed cover semi warped Rumours to RSPCA last month, 50p record for years here, got about 7 of them and multiple unplayed Tusks too. Some Rods and Eltons have been let go too, bad con of course, but bemuses me hanging round a record shop seeing people born this century buying them. Fair play. Sadly many charity shops have nowhere to park and unload, and some turn you away anyhow "no more easy listening" :laugh: :rolleyes:

I think some people here might be surprised how every record collection in Britain at one point must have had chewed up Paranoids and Led Zep IV... I've used them as wall decorations in the past, as in make collages out of them :uhhuh:

phillyal1 and Man at C&A like this.
  25. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Andy Williams, John Williams, Seekers stereo comps, Frank Ifield have to be pretty strict on... some you really do see over and over (EWF comp, Nina & Frederik, for many years saw tatty Culture Club every car boot went to, and so on).