SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thanks, Steve.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Can you explain the highlighted portion? Do you just mean you subtracted frequencies instead of boosting them or something else?

3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Thanks for that! I suppose the tapes were in good hands with Bernie Grundman!

JG

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Subtracting.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I tried that with brownies once, however based on results I wouldn't recommend it.:)

6. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Dear Steve,
    I recently set up a small stereo kit in a small back room. For disc playback I’m using an 90s era DVD player that happens to have a discreet subwoofer output and I have it plugged into a subwoofer. Well this gives me a tremendous amount of control over the low end. I love it but am I cheating the system?
    Yours truly
    DZ

7. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Whatever sounds good to you
    :righton:

Rupe33 and Dee Zee like this.
  8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I was trying to write that in the style of a Dear Abby letter to be “funny.” Fail.

supermd, Rupe33 and marcb like this.
  9. Piddler

Piddler Active Member

Hi, do you know Randy Kling? I noticed he did Alice Cooper's Killer Warner Brothers 2567-2 CD. Just curious Thanks

10. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Hi Steve:
    If I had a time machine I would (among other things) journey back and pick up all of the DCC Compact Classics vinyl I missed out on, including Fresh Cream, Aqualung, Hotel California and many others, as I’ve read how highly regarded they are.

I’m guessing the answer might be ‘no clue’, but any idea what became of those stampers when DCC went out of business? I have visions of one more (affordable) pressing of those masters. One can dream….

SoCalWJS, Rupe33 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Steve,

There has been an Encyclopedias worth of guff and stuff written on the "RL", Bob Ludwig mastering of Led Zeppelin II.
    Some good, some bad, some nuts.

I thought I would ask you.

For my tastes, from what I can hear, the Ludwig is a bit too over the top. Great romper stomper, gut thumping album, but a bit over the top. As much as I love it.

The best version I have, and I have 12 or 13 different versions of this, including a couple of UK originals;

The one I like the best is the 1977 George Piros mastering. Double sided. I'm lucky enough to have a minty, Monarch pressed copy of this.
    Which I think sounds the best balanced and closest to what was intended.,

I was wondering if you have an opinion?

Rupe33 likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

They are at Record Tech still.

13. Steve Hoffman

It’s just a bunch of EQ and compression. Get a cheap five band graphic and dub the original Atlantic CD with it to taste to analog tape at +6. There you have it.

mBen989, chris8519 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  14. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Start the presses! Oh yeah, those darn licensing rights.

15. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Start the presses? At this point, this forum might STORM the presses and take those plates like they were Moses’ tablets! LOL

I’m all for it. Record labels over here saying “let them eat cake” when really we want represses of the good stuff.

edit: let them eat $150 UHQR cake LOL! (And I do…)

topekatj likes this.
  16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

:cop:

JG

17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Hi Steve, I wanted to ask you, what do you think of the JVC XRCD releases of Decca classical albums? The ones I have are the Solti Rite of Spring, and Rossini Overtures conducted by Gamba. I know you have spoken positively of some jazz XRCDs mastered by Alan Yoshida. He also mastered the two Decca classical XRCDs I mentioned. Have you heard any of them, and if so do you think they sound good?

18. Steve Hoffman

Have not heard them, sorry.

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No problem, thanks. I find the two titles I have a little bright sounding. Was wondering if it was just me.

20. Steve Hoffman

Probably mastered without the DECCA filter in place. A common problem when the stuff is mastered on the outside. Get the London Blueback LPs.

Plan9, WhatDoIKnow and bruce2 like this.
  21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback, although I do not own a turntable unfortunately. I find that the old original 80s CD issues of Decca/London classical recordings mostly sound great. Even the 'Weekend Classics' budget line of discs. I guess these use the 'Decca filter' you mentioned? My old EMI classical CDs from the mid to late 80s mostly sound excellent too. I think many of them sound better than some 'audiophile' SACD classical reissues I own!

22. Steve Hoffman

The DECCA EQ Filter was used in two ways, first when recording to boost the top end. Second, during cutting the top end was reduced via the filter to sound normal while at the same time reducing tape hiss.

The first noise-reduction system.. Without the filter the highs can kill bugs at 50 feet..

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

How does a legitimate copy of Introducing The Beatles compare to other pressings of Please Please Me? Mono or stereo.

Also, the Swan 45 of “She Loves You”.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman , could you explain how you master when you need to both cut to vinyl and to digital for a SACD? (For example the AP Blue Note Series)

Is there separate/independent mastering done for each format, or is an output from the console sent simultaneously towards the lathe and ADC?

If there is separate mastering, how does the mastering differ between the formats?

Should we expect the vinyl and SACD to essentially sound the same?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Steve, I know you’ve written about 10cc’s Original Soundtrack not being released, but I’m curious of your recollection of mastering the twofer of their debut and Sheet Music. Was it you/DCC that made the call to track Rubber Bullets first rather than it’s original spot after Speed Kills, or was it a precondition imposed in order for you to gain access to the tapes and licensing?