Getting Picky About 'Sticky Fingers'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 18, 2023.

1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

There's nothing really negative about this album. Not sure why OP feels compelled to call out an album that's universally considered one of the Stones' greatest.

However, I must say that the sound is rather mid-rangey; and that there's too many mid-tempo songs sequenced together.
    But these songs are among their very best, so it's more a 'vibe' album to me. Personally, it's not in my top 5 Stones albums, but it's a classic LP.

Man at C&A, DK Pete and zither like this.
  2. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

I guess I'm the only one who loves "I Got The Blues". Billy Preston's organ solo is fantastic.

The Quiet One, ARK, Amnion and 18 others like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Far as sound concerning their seventies albums, I always found SF a very mixed bag. But this is a huge part of the charm of The Stones albums from this period. But far as the album in general, I’ve had it tied with Bleed as my favorite for many a decade now. In fact, I’ve grown to love SF more than ever, even liking the one song I once considered a dud, I Got The Blues which I always considered it’s’ one filler track.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As I just said in my previous post, I’ve grown to appreciate IGTB more and more over time. The organ solo is killer but it sounds better on some pressings than others. On some it’s so bright it slices like a razor through the speakers. But that’s besides the point; the song has definitely grown on me.

5. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I have to agree about it being their best sounding album. I played my original copy from mid '70s last night. It looks kind of rough and only saved it since it was pressed at Monarch. That was a good choice as it still sounds amazing, albeit with a little surface noise.

After that I have now adjusted my ideas and think it is better than Exile. I don't think there is a tighter Stones album.

6. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I apologize for the redundancy, but I'm going to simply paste what I said on the Beggars Banquet thread:

Sticky Fingers was my favorite from the first time I heard the complete Stones catalog across 1981-1982. Solidly.... no question. Not just my favorite Stones album, but an all time top 10 regardless of style, genre, or era.

Now in my late 50s, my tastes in classic rock are quite firmly settled after these decades of things solidifying.

Or are they?

Fairly suddenly in recent months, I've suddenly developed a diminished appreciation for Sticky Fingers. Still great, but not quite that great. Quite surprising. Sure, I've "outgrown" or moved on from beloved albums before, but much earlier on, not a full 4+ decades after falling in love.

That said, it's not BB that has supplanted it as my fave Stones spin, but rather Exile. BB has always sat somewhere in the 4th to 6th range in the catalog, currently at the top of that range behind the usual suspects: Exile. Sticky, and LIB.

It seems you and I are pretty much on the same page overall regarding this album.... it just took me longer to get there.

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I think this explains the OPs current take.
    Stones are my favorite band and SF is one of their best.
    After years of curating, I have 1st MO and PR USA pressings, Canada 1st, UK 1st, and the 1997 LPCent38 reissue. All in great condition.
    But I've heard this music so many times, over so many years that today, whole years go by when I don't spin any of these even once.

As an old fart not particularly attentive to music trends, I just now figured out that freakin Yo La Tengo is a great band that's been around since the 90s.
    So I started into listening to their extensive catalog for the 1st time.

Might be awhile before I put on Sticky Fingers again, as unquestionably great as it is. Too much other music to listen to!

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don’t think Sticky Fingers everybody’s collective favourite as you suggest. I think that Exile...is that.

Probably worth polling, though.

9. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Sticky Fingers is the quintessential Stones album. I've always felt like it tells a story of infidelity / breakup but never takes itself too seriously; it's a cartoonish take on sex & drugs & rock & roll. It's almost perfectly sequenced as well, never overstaying it's welcome with an onslaught of piano / horns / harmonica / backing singers like another popular album with childish scatological humor :shh:...

10. It’s 0ne of their slickest combining elements of what came before. I do think it’s a better album than Exile which has too much filler IMHO. In terms of where it stands with what came before, I’ve always thought Let It Bleed was a better overall album.

11. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

It's "Sister Morphine" and the Santana-derivative jam section of "Knocking" that drag it down?!?!?

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Are you stating that or questioning it?

ARK and Northernlight like this.
  13. Not mine. It’s a great album but it’s got too much filler. It’s a great album to be sure but sometimes shorter is better.

there is a poll.

Q: What is your favorite album by the Rolling Stones?

ARK, Northernlight and Chemguy like this.
  14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Nah, still my favorite Stones album by far. I love all the ballads and the overall vibe. It really doesn't get any better for me Stones wise.

15. Yes, one might imagine Beatles' fans might feel the same! :hide::biglaugh:

16. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

I am stating that as my carefully-considered opinion and implicitly asking others for theirs.

17. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

For me Brown Sugar, Bitch, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, and Moonlight Mile are the only truly great songs on here. Sway and I Got the Blues are some of the Stones worst ever songs, and Wild Horses, You Gotta Move and Dead Flowers aren't bad but aren't the best either. Still a half great half so-so Stones album is still not bad at all.

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

And the winner by a nose is 'Sticky Fingers'!

Northernlight likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A great but extremely horrifying image... :)

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

To me Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St. are like one (goats head) soup, and I mean it positively. Both great and flawless albums IMO.

21. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I can't un-see that rather terrifying image now, thanks! o_O

Chemically altered likes this.
  22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Bleed, Sticky and Exile are all essential. No need to pick a favorite, unless my life depends on it. ;)

ARK, No Blue Skies, Sean and 2 others like this.
  23. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

It’s pretty flawless to me. A perfect rock album, front-to-back great.

If Exile… is the best Keith album, this is the best Mick album.

Covers hard rock, blues, soul, country seamlessly across ten stunning - and completely varied - classic songs, and does so entirely authentically: the Stones really inhabit these tracks. This was comfortably their most mature work to date, Taylor adds new levels and layers of guitar beauty to complete an already swaggeringly confident rock band that has truly mastered its form.

Sure - it’s not for everyone, despite that.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Loved the album, it was one of my top 5 favorites, but just played it way too many times and burnt out on it long ago.

Sticky Fingers is a fantastic album!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  25. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

Here are a couple more for you fellas. Some fabulous artwork.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]