CD storage without jewel cases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Petie53, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My solution at least what I can fit into one picture :cheers:

[​IMG]

2. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would need 10 lifetimes to listen to all them!
    Incredible collection.

3. Polyphenol

Polyphenol Forum Resident

I’m approaching 4000 CDs. I tinkered around with different storage options in the past. At one point I was thinking about getting rid of the jewel cases and sell them or simply throw them away. Thankfully the last step (sell or toss it) I never did. I know some people who did it and later (meaning > 5 - 10 years) deeply regretted it. Just my 2 cents.

4. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

tnsmnichols, SJP and iggyd like this.
  5. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Do these fit in a normal space that would fit a jewel case in a CD rack? As in, are they no higher or deeper than a jewel case?

I bought a European product similar that fits perfectly, but, was a lot more expensive and these look like they might look nicer.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No you shouldn't. I have my 600 cds in their original jewel cases. No regrets.

Vinny123 likes this.
  7. Rich-n-Roll

They are all you described you can actually fit two in a space occupied by a single jewel case

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  8. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I've been storing my CDs without jewel cases for years.

There is a company here in the LA area that makes dozens of sizes of plastic bags, one size fits CDs and all the inserts that come with them.

There are also quite a few different file cabinet type things available, some made for CDs, some not.

I can fit about 8 CDs in the same space as 1 in a jewel case.

My entire collection is in a closet in stacked file drawers, out of my listening space. And easily accessible and browesable.

My listening room looks so much better without close to a 1000 CDs on shelves.

My vinyl is also out of my listening room in a closet on shelves I built.

head_unit likes this.
  9. Fish Master

Fish Master Forum Resident

I did exactly the same thing and have similar regrets. Additionally, many of my cds were destroyed by theses books.

gingerly and tin ears like this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yes, or maybe velour, because some plastic sleeves will stick to and then suck the ink right off the discs :mad::(:drool:

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What the heck is that up at the top? Like a light cord going into...??? It looks like you have a ways to go...and then like if you squeezed each shelf a little tighter to the discs that you could fit another row up on top :D

12. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Thank you. The sleeves I’m currently using save a little more space, but, these look sharp and much cheaper.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  13. Rich-n-Roll

I think you will like them and your welcome

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  14. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

I never thought I'd get there, but here are a few of the reasons why I'm ditching (most of) my cases:

-A pending move across country,
    -Limited space in my future home,
    -Lack of uniform packaging (a mix of jewel cases, digipaks, card sleeves, fatboy cases, slip cases, slimline cases, paper sleeves) makes my collection look clunky and cluttered.

I'm saving all the booklets (you would be surprised at how many booklets you can cram into one shoebox!) and cases w/ front and backs for any super valuable CD's (like certain promo singles and such) plus unique digipaks and of course box sets.

Of course this significantly drops the monetary value of my collection, but as I absolutely never plan on selling any of it... who cares? :shrug:

nutsfortubes likes this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Who is the vendor in the L.A. area you’re referring to?

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I must retract my recommendation of Tarifold products. I’ve recently discovered the plastic is not stable. It has gotten tacky and caused cloudiness on the DVDs stored in them. This affected playability on at least one disc. After a cleaning it played but the disc surface looked lousy.

bever70 and Dave112 like this.
  17. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Why even bother buy CDs if you aren't going to keep them in their original packaging? Just stream at that point. Imagine keeping LPs without the jackets, lol.

18. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Not really sure what you're referencing at the top, but I believe you may be talking about my movie screen, or perhaps the curtain rods...

[​IMG]
    2023-03-18_01-49-02
    by Barry, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    PXL_20220308_195011857
    by Barry, on Flickr

bever70 and Vinny123 like this.
  19. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

I too went with the books/sleeves years ago- jewel cases just took up too much space. The only curve ball was when the packaging changed to reduce waste, which does not work with the books at all. Now it’s about finding drawer space for those.
    As I generally rip the disc and store afterwards I’ve never worn a disc out from handling or playing so it surprises me that some have said the books/sleeves damage their discs.
    For those who ditched/pitched their jewel cases and regretted it later- what was it that led you to think that was a bad decision?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  20. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have a very similar cd rack as you, probably taller and a bit wider. I taught at a vocational high school and the carpentry class made it for me. I really like my rack. I like that I can easily read the labels, like a bookcase. It’s getting crowded. I’ll just buy something along the same line when needed.

BluesOvertookMe and Barry_NJ like this.
  21. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

I made mine myself, and I suppose I could make another, but there isn't really any more space in my room for another rack. I suppose I could put Another rack in another room of the house, but I really like having my media in my Media-Room :)

Vinny123 likes this.
  22. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Can-am cabinets or something different?

23. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

Yeah, absolutely.
    The reason I buy CDs is so I can browse them on a shelf. If I had that many that I couldn't display them all, I'd curate the collection down.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

idledreamer likes this.
  25. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Dennis Metz,

I have the same racks that you have, and like you, I put them back to back (to increase stability, I joined them together using reinforcement bars). I have multiple other racks along the walls perpendicular to the library style racks that I made like yours. I only have one such back to back rack; you obviously have a lot more CDs. I have about 5,000 CDs; you obviously have a lot more than that!

I also use thin plastic CD envelopes from Bags Unlimited to reduce the size of each CD for storage purposes. These envelopes allow one to keep the booklet and the front and back covers of the CD. I have only put part of my collection into the envelopes.

head_unit likes this.