Little Rascals Coming To Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 24, 2020.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I haven't gotten these yet but I have viewed a few of the shorts with a friend and fellow forum member and they did a beautiful job. I have the most recent DVDs which I am fine with, but it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Something else I have been exploring is appearances of various Rascals in other films, particularly other Hal Roach films. I just completed my set of the Charley Chase Hal Roach talkie shorts and there are Rascals in several of them -- Butch is in "I'll Take Vanilla," Alfalfa is in "Life Hesitates At 40," Darla is in "Neighborhood House," Spanky is credited in "The Cracked Ice Man" but the whole then-current gang appears as students in a classroom, with both Spanky and Stymie having lines.

With Thelma Todd, Mary Kornman is in "Maids A La Mode." Spanky is in "One Track Minds." Butch is in "Beauty And The Bus." Mickey Daniels is in "An All-American Toothache."

With Laurel & Hardy, Darla is in "The Bohemian Girl" and Butch appears in "Block-Heads."

They are all kind of in the same "universe." Then there are the Boy Friends shorts with alumni from the silent Our Gang era.

It's an interesting rabbit hole to explore.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

again a very big Thank you to David @ClassicFlix for the wonderful Special Features and all Restoration of The Little Rascals in The Complete Collection Blu-Ray boxset!

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

boggs, Jazzmonkie and rontoon like this.
  4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Crungy likes this.
  5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I'm working my way through the blu-ray complete set. All of it is great and a revelation to look at. However, in "Readin' and Writin'", why do the exterior shots look so soft? Is that an original artifact or effect?

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm curious as well...if someone has both the complete and single seasons maybe they can do a comparison of "Readin' and Writin'"...

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

a Happy New Year greetings @ClassicFlix and thanking David again for the awesome Boxset for The Little Rascals Hal Roach 'Sound Shorts' assembled, released last November 2022!
    Many thanks for tireless and relentless research for finest film elements to scan and complete this project! Also thank you to many who bought and supported the Vol 1-6 titles and Complete Collection boxset w/ Bonus Disc [ foreign Silent shorts and Features!].

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2023
  8. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Forum Resident

Check out a clip we just posted of a raw scan from the 1924 Our Gang short BIG BUSINESS.

From 35mm, the short will be restored and released on Blu-ray later this year.

ENJOY!

- David

ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Good stuff, David, these films are important.

10. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

This footage is particularly notable because it has the original Pathe intertitles. Publicly available versions of this film have the European style intertitles with a different font. Great to see and fantastic quality!

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Beautiful and thank you again for posting and sharing another of Our Gang Silent Shorts in research and Restoration process!

ClassicFlix likes this.
  12. Michael

thanks so much!

longdist01 and ClassicFlix like this.
  13. ClassicFlix

Check out a clip we just posted of a raw scan from the 1922 Our Gang short SATURDAY MORNING (1922), the 6th Our Gang film in the series.

Scanned from 16mm elements, it will look very nice when cleaned up and will be released on Blu-ray.

We have scanned over 55 Our Gang of the surviving 88 silent Our Gang shorts to date and we continue to look for better material for at least half of the 55, plus additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have.

It's early to tell but timeline for the first release is likely mid-2023.

ENJOY!

- David

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again David for sharing these Raw scans of Silent Shorts being prepared with all of us! @ClassicFlix

15. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

The opening few minutes presented here should be brand new to just about anyone familiar with this film. A shortened version with no intertitles was all that was previously available to the public. More amazing footage from ClassicFlix! The upcoming releases are going to be incredible. Thanks for sharing!

16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I think I've mostly just seen the silents that Cabin Fever released back in the day (which I enjoyed), so I'm pretty excited for all of these silents from ClassicFlix. You can see that a lot of these shorts are gonna look terrific

longdist01 likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yeah @ClassicFlix has done some amazing work on all the Sound Shorts for last few years, hope they are able to locate and restore some the hard to locate 'Silent Shorts' with best film elements that survive! A few are long gone - lost in studio backlot fires unfortunately decades ago...terrible fate!

Jazzmonkie, rontoon and ClassicFlix like this.
  18. ClassicFlix

Check out this "restoration in progress" clip we just posted of HIGH SOCIETY (1924), the 30th short in the Our Gang film series.

Scanned from 35mm elements, it will look very nice when cleaned up and released on Blu-ray.

Scans on over 55 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for better material for at least half of the 55, plus additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have.

It's too early to tell but timeline for the first release is likely late summer/early fall 2023.

ENJOY!

- David

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again David @ClassicFlix for more raw scans and of the progress on Silent Shorts era restorations. Wonderful, exciting news by middle of 2023 so far!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    ClassicFlix likes this.
  20. ClassicFlix

Check out this "restoration in progress" clip we just posted of FIRE FIGHTERS (1922), the 2nd short in the Our Gang film series.

Although scanned from 16mm elements (35mm is not known to exist), it will be, by far, the best presentation available and will be released on Blu-ray.

Scans on over 55 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for better material for at least half of the 55, plus additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have.

It's too early to tell but timeline for the first release is likely late summer/early fall 2023.

ENJOY!

- David

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you David @ClassicFlix for the update and another amazing Silent Short from Raw 16mm film elements!

22. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Hi David,
    I bought the box set last year and the films look as great as they can. I'm not familiar with the chronology/existing silent shorts, but does the very first Our Gang short exist in any form?

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Michael

will the complete sound Little Rascal's remain in print without an expiration date...or does it revolve around licencing?

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yeah hope 'Complete Collection' box is available for many years, and sales wise is well received for the amazing Sound Shorts in 2020 era!

Sure hope Silent Shorts are even better received considering what survives today on film stock!

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  25. Michael

Indeed!

longdist01 likes this.