Wrong / Alternate Tracks Used In Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Jun 9, 2022.

1. FireBrigade

FireBrigade Forum Resident

What a great thread idea, there's so many worth noting! Glad it's been revived. Here's a few of note:

The Very Best of Badfinger (2000, Apple/Capitol) uses the unreleased 'original' recording of "Name Of The Game" (which was issued as a CD bonus track in 1991) rather than the released 'second' version, which is a different recording entirely.

The preceding track on the disc, "Baby Blue," is also the dry album mix rather than the more famous U.S. single mix with extra reverb. The album version has always had a clipped intro as well, which went uncorrected on this compilation (or ever!)

The Kinks' Anthology 1964-1971 was advertised as having a (first-time) true stereo mix of "Dead End Street" (and says so on the box), but on the disc it merely has the regular mono mix. The stereo mix intended for this did later come out on the 2016 LP The Best of The Kinks 1964-1970, but the mix remains unavailable on CD or digital.

The Zombies' The Zombies' Greatest Hits (Varese Sarabande, 2018) claims to be mostly mono single versions except for certain tracks in stereo (per its back insert), but the disc is actually *entirely* mono single versions, even on the songs it marks as 'stereo' on the back! I believe that means this is the only CD where one can get the mono mix of 'Time Of The Season' besides the several CDs with the mono Odessey and Oracle album (assuming that the album and single mixes are identical? Someone else may be able to confirm!)

Chad & Jeremy's Painted Dayglow Smile (A Collection) uses a totally alternate recording of "I Don't Wanna Lose You Baby," though the notes only indicate it being a new stereo mix of the regular track. However, the Sundazed remaster of the "I Don't Want To Lose You Baby" album has one bonus track - an 'alternate version' of the title track - and that recording is another completely different scratch recording of the song. So there are *three* finished versions (with different arrangements, overdubs and vocal takes) of the song floating around...!

This same C&J comp also boasts having the '45 version' of "Rest In Peace," but it is merely the stereo album mix (the booklet does have the correct running time for the album mix, which makes it an evident giveaway: 6:49 on the album compared to 3:19 on the single!).
    It also has a number of first-time stereo mixes of songs from 45s (which remain the definitive, and often only, versions available on reissues - the mono originals evidently phased out). The last track is 'Sister Marie,' which the booklet strangely claims is both the '45 version' and also a 'previously unissued alternate take' in the same sentence (not sure how that's possible??). It's definitely the same take as the single, but it is a vastly different mix for sure! This version has not appeared anywhere else since this 1992 disc.

The Creation's "Painter Man" was only issued in mono upon initial release (as far as I can tell), but a true stereo mix was made somewhere along the line - or two? The various artists' releases Rhino's History of British Rock/British Invasion Vol. 4 from 1988 and Grapefruit's A Slight Disturbance In My Mind: The British Proto-Psychedelic Sounds of 1966 from 2017 both feature true stereo mixes of the version on the single. But the two Creation releases Action Painting from 2016 and Creation Theory from 2017 use a true stereo mix of a completely different (and inferior) take of the song! The Grapefruit release attributes their version being taken from the 2017 set, which is seemingly impossible since the correct version isn't present in the latter set!

On the Grapefruit kick, the remastered/expanded version of Neil Innes' How Sweet To Be An Idiot uses both the album version and the single version (two separate recordings) for the first time, but accidentally switched them up - the single version plays during the album and the album version plays in the singles half of the disc! I ripped it to iTunes anyway so it was an easy file-switch, but surely more of a pain for those listening on a traditional system. At least both versions are present, and in great quality!

I have more instances worth sharing, but will save them for a later post - this is getting intense! :laugh:

2. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION Thread Starter

The Zombies one is my favorite of these, because it's not as simple as getting one track wrong on accident, or the wrong mix of an album, it almost feels like it has to be intentional intentional. Great share, thanks for posting!

3. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

Striking It Rich by Dan Hicks' & His Hot Licks has an alternate and inferior version of "Walkin' One and Only" (the guitar breaks are the most notable difference). The count-off to "I'm An Old Cowhand" is also missing. This affects all CDs, including the Japanese LP sleeve repros.

Mollusk likes this.
  4. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

The Odessey singles should all be the same mono mixes, except for an edit on Care For Cell 44, which was apparently used on the original mono LP, making the CD with the mono mix the (first?) release of the full version.

Mollusk and FireBrigade like this.
  5. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I can't speak about the CD but I had the LP of this release and they did not use the true single version of "Leave Me Be". I no longer have the record because I sold it off so I can't play it to refresh my memory but I believe they used a version with a slightly different vocal take. In any case, something was not right. I actually posted about this earlier in this thread.

Mollusk and FireBrigade like this.
  6. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Plus the cover accidentally substituted 1970s Elvis for Jim Morrison

7. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

The 2000 Level 42 2-fers made a few questionable substitutions. For their self-titled album they reverted to the original shorter length (edited) versions of songs that were on the original LP instead of the longer versions that were on the original CD. Could be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for. For “Staring At The Sun” they replaced the original LP version of “Two Hearts Collide” with an inferior, poppier mix. Oh, and the CDs are LOUD. Stick with the originals.

c-eling, Mollusk and negative1 like this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The 2009 Repertoire CDs of the Graham Bond Organization's first two albums, The Sound Of 65 and There's A Bond Between Us, boast a load of non-album track bonuses. However, there are some problems.

On the Sound Of 65, two of the songs, Hoochie Coochie Man and Little Girl, should be in mono and be alternate takes to the album, instead being earlier versions released on a various artists comp. But they are instead the album versions, but in stereo. These same stereo mixes would later appear on the set Wade In The Water (properly labelled as being remixes of the album) along with the proper alternate versions in their original mono from that various artists set.

There's A Bond Between Us has the single Lease On Love/My Hearts In Little Pieces as a bonus. But it is a new stereo remix. This same remix, labelled as such, would also appear later on the Wade In The Water set. The original mono mixes of these two songs have never been properly issued on CD. Their only appearances have been needledrops.

(The four stereo mixes that were incorrectly used on the 2009 CDs also have extra reverb which is not present on the Wade In The Water set)

Mollusk and MerseyBeatle like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In 1993, Alan Douglas decided to put out a CD of Are You Experienced with the UK singles (A and B sides) as opening tracks, followed by the original UK album (which featured none of the aforementioned songs). He slipped up by inserting the alternate, U.S. Smash Hits take of Red House. The following year, the true original AYE take of Red House turned up on the Blues compilation.

10. Royal Swan

Royal Swan Forum Resident

The 5.1 mix of The Game by Queen has a different version of Coming Soon which was not previously released.

This is because the multis for the standard album version were lost or damaged.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On the Totally Cool box by Daddy Cool single versions of Come Back Again and Hi Homey Ho replace the longer LP versions on CD 1 which is supposed to be the two original LPs on a single disc.

Mollusk likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On both The Ultimate Kylie and Step Back in Time a radio edit of Confide in Me appears. The original single was the full length version and that's what was played on radio.

Mollusk likes this.
  13. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

John I'm Only Dancing (sax version) erroneously featured on early pressings of Changes One (1976).

Mollusk likes this.
  14. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

It doesn't sound as if they just paused for a bit, not to my ears, and they play it live without any stops. So I assume it is a drop of volume in the original mix, intentional or not it's hard to tell. But it's still there on MOV 2018 issue.

Mollusk and Disco Robot like this.
  15. Mollusk

Was it a newly made Radio Edit, or was it one that was made previously but never really released?

16. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

One of the earlier examples of all this is that the soundtrack LP to Saturday Night Fever originally contained the studio version of the Bee Gees' Jive Talkin'.

At some point during later LP's production runs, due to a "contractual distribution issue" RKO substituted a live version.

The studio version has since been restored to CD and digital releases, but there's no way to tell from the LP jacket whether the pressing contains the studio or live version of the song.

Mollusk likes this.
  17. Mollusk

This might be an odd ask, but do we know when the live track was recorded?

Was it '77 or was it after? I'm not super well versed in Bee Gees so I don't know their performance history for this song.

18. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

The original mono UK and US singles this song appeared on have unique versions between them. Two different recordings and not just a different lead vocal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Mollusk likes this.
  19. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

It was the live version from their 1977 album, Here at Last... Bee Gees... Live.

Mollusk likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was on the German cd single and there was an Australian 1 track promo.

Mollusk likes this.
  21. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have both the original US Parrot 45 and the original UK Decca 45. I just played them and they're identical and the version on these two singles is not the one used on the Varese Sarabande "Zombies Greatest Hits" which claims to use the original singles.

Mollusk likes this.
  22. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

I'll admit I don't have either single but was going off the liner notes in the Zombie Heaven box set and on the rear cover of Varese Sarabande's CD reissue of the US debut album The Zombies featuring She's Not There & Tell Her No where that alternate version of Leave Me Be is a bonus track. The ZH box has the regular mono single version, and the Vararese Sarabande CD reissue has the mono alternate version. Both of these releases describe that alternate version as being released on the US Parrot single, but it wouldn't be the first time the liner notes got things wrong.

Not sure where that alternate version first turned up first then! Thanks for the correction.

Mollusk and Bob J like this.
  23. Mollusk

Thank you both for teaching me something I didn't know! It's not everyday I learn something new on the SHF! (Well, besides new rude names to call people who disagree on which Beatle album is the best one ;))

COBill and Mylene like this.
  24. Mollusk

I'll give this a little early morning bump, any takers?

25. tapiocattundra

tapiocattundra Well-Known Member

the 2006 deluxe reissue of more of the Monkees used the wrong mono mix of "your auntie grizelda", the tv mix in place of the album mix. luckily it was fixed on the 2017 sde :}

oingo boingos only a lad had some early pressings with early mixes of side A that haven't been reissued officially

Mollusk and advancecharmander like this.