Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spieg16, Mar 16, 2023.

1. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Jason, do you know if there will be a hi-res digital release? Like a 24/192? :)
    Do you know what sample rate was used?

Jarleboy and Say It Right like this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The film, as great as it is, only captures the feel pf the live performance in spots. If you saw the show back then it was clear that the entire stage was meant to be seen as a whole. The stark background, the entrance of the various pieces of the band, the stage hands in all black like Japanese puppeteers, the loosely choreographed movements of band members, the lights in front of members designed to throw large moving images up on the backscreen. It was artistic, and breathtaking. You can get a feel for it at the 00:42 mark of this clip.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It’s one of the great new wave drumming performances of all time - every fill is all sixteenth notes on the snare drum, punctuated by crash cymbals. Nothing else required.

Cool hand luke and DHamilton like this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Before the release of the DVD, there was the most unique marketing campaign. A postcard arrived in the mail with the word, STOP. (On the back, it read Same as it ever was...only better!) Next week, another postcard arrived, this time with the word, MAKING. Next thought was that there would be one next with SENSE. They did not disappoint!

Considering this was already a planned purchase (with brand new Sony DVD player), that experience made it feel even more compelled to get it. Since got the Blu Ray, which was kind of jumping the gun. Could have much better surround mix, which is to be expected with the 4K. Atmos?

Yes, they should also find a way to get that Rome concert out officially.

Rupe33, DHamilton, Beamish13 and 4 others like this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's a strange one with Talking Heads. A lot of people want them to return, but for me they were a great band who had an excellent run of albums and then broke up while they were still at the top. They didn't go on too long, they didn't go back to milk their catalog. At the time of the break they all released solo albums, had tours, and so on. As such, Talking Heads was a launching pad for the rest of their careers - especially as the tensions appear to go all the back to their college days. We got a good, tight set of albums that still sound great today.

So what could they do better now? Do these reformations (other than cash cow touring) ever come to anything matching what came before? What is it we really want from their getting back together? Another Stop Making Sense tour? A tour like the Stop Making Sense tour? Another Remain in Light? Personally, I think it's all been done.

Byrne has lots of albums out, and he's worked in many areas. He's riding on a high right now after his last tour got great plaudits. He's 70 years young, so does he really want to step back into TH, or does he have lots of things he still wants to do (I suspect the latter)? Jerry is on his tour covering TH material, and that seems to be going well. Other than money, I really don't see what's in it for them.

Of course, there are fans who didn't get to see them in all their pomp back in the day, and I supposed they'd like to see what's left in the tank. But it's been so long since they broke up. I just feel that it's become unfashionable these days for any band to end. People still want Led Zep to get back together and they've been broken up since the early 80's. I don't think you can go back, you can't ever relive those prime days.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I was.

fishcane likes this.
  7. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Isn’t that the definition of “fine”?

8. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Also, Byrne recently reaffirmed that there would be no reunion, but added unprompted “we’re all on pretty good terms though!”

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Rupe33, qtrules, Paul K and 6 others like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome! I really like it when they use someone that worked on the original come back and and do the new version as well. As a recent example, Chris Kimsey who worked on the original "A Space In Time" TYA record came back and mixed the new version that was just released and the results are fantastic. Rhino continues to deliver!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Cool hand luke likes this.
  10. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

Rumor has it that the original negative of the film is missing, or lost.

11. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Wow. Tina has really let herself go!

12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

The Revealer likes this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

What is that screen capture from? Is that a Zoom call that is accessible somewhere?

marc with a c likes this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

They also played 'My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)'. I first heard the song on a Talking Heads cassette bootleg and thought "what is this amazing unreleased song?" Then tracked it down to the Catherine Wheel album.

Merrick likes this.
  15. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

I wondered that too, though perhaps the more important question is "Doesn't Jerry own a comb?"

Christopher B likes this.
  16. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

not accessible anywhere. Their manager shared a screencap on Instagram.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Thanks, just curious! :)

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, these "fans" think playing something that was spontaneous back then, is just like deciding to do it,
    and then flicking a switch now. As far as Zeppelin goes, I listen to more of Robert Plant's solo stuff now
    than Led Zeppelin albums.

Vaughan and Charlie Z. like this.
  19. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

Anyone have a promo code they would like to share for talking heads storefront

20. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

:biglaugh:

21. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

This thread has forced me to pre-order the Stop Making Sense deluxe vinyl... and break out my Brick to re-listen to a bunch of Talking Heads well before the August release rolls around.

22. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

Speaking of the Brick - holy hell, have you ever looked at how much that set fetches on the used market? You're not going to finance a child's college fund, but it's nice to see its value after enjoying the discs for all these years.

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s one of the best box sets out there

Jarleboy and The Elephant Man like this.
  24. damien

damien Forum Resident

Weird that Storytelling Giant has never been available as a stand-alone since the VHS/Laserdisc. It wasn’t just videos; the short films were pretty cool too.

Rupe33 likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

An Expanded Version of Storytelling Giant is available in the Once in a Lifetime 3 CDs/DVD Box Set. Although, the SG on DVD was never reissued individually, so if you want it on DVD, then ‘This Must Be The Place’ to obtain it. Unfortunately, the Music on the 3 CDs has Bad DR Numbers, so if you are just interested in the DVD, then find this Box Set at the lowest price available.

Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

damien and Beamish13 like this.