Chris Rock on Netflix!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I know, right?

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed. : )

Licorice pizza likes this.
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Liked it quite a bit. Certainly much better than Marlon Wayans' show on HBO Max where he spent the whole show on the slapping incident.

RSteven likes this.
  4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I didn’t care for the stories about his daughter in school. I know he’s proud that he was able to give her a different life than he grew up with, and he’s amused at being able to reveal some secrets about how he handled stuff when she was younger.

But it just comes across as bragging, and it wasn’t that funny. At least when someone like Ricky Gervais brags about being rich, we know he’s doing it to be a jerk. I don’t think Chris is trying to be a jerk, which is what makes it annoying.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was middle of the road to me, some bits were funny, some fell flat. Rock was untouchable when he was at his best around 25 years ago, but it wasn't as if this special totally sucked or anything - he's just not hungry anymore.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

90 live dates last year.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Being divorced and needing money does not equal hungry.

8. BluesOvertookMe

What does? Curious.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Wanting to prove something. Usually the term "hungry" is used to refer to an artist that is trying to prove themselves and not rest on their laurels.

10. Rotary Connection

Rotary Connection Forum Resident

The slap was about 50x funnier

11. BluesOvertookMe

Oh thanks, I never knew what that term meant. :tsk: Do you really think a tour of live comedy is an easy, lazy way to raise money?

12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Beyonce in the fast food window versus Jay Z.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Did I say that? Because I don't think I did, and do I think there is any reasonable way in which one could interpret what I actually said the way you just did. He could tour 2 shows a day for 365 days a year, and still not break any new artistic ground. I mean, his material is still funny, it just isn't as fresh as it was 25 years ago. To me at least.

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

He sure didn't pull any punches on Smith or the bald lady.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I agree.

16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

THAT was brilliant, I admit.

RSteven and Licorice pizza like this.
  17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

And now Will Smith has come out as being pissed at Chris Rock’s comments in the matter. Are we now supposed to feel sorry for him?

18. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

I liked the ending but thats it.

19. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

my post was deleted cuz i was "political"....really? do these "gorts" even know what "political" means? no where in my post was there any thing about politics....and yet.......weird humans we are nowadays..........this message will be gone in about 29 seconds... i'm sure the robots will delete it....but, even tho, i felt i had to say something 'bout it.....................

Licorice pizza likes this.
  20. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Chris Rock’s opening line to Paul Pelosi at Adam Sandler’s Mark Twain Ceremony was the best of the evening.

And, not trying to derail the thread….Adam Sandler?

When they would show a greatest bits clip, it was kind of embarrassing, a series of thuds.

Other than Opera Man, I don’t get it. One evening I was trapped at a neighbor’s and forced to watch Happy Gilmore. It was death.

Anyway…

21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Mine too, for what I don't know?? It wasn't poly-ticks that's for certain. As Chris would say, "when you have a career there ain't enough time; when you got a job, there's too much time."

22. I knew what you meant the first time. You wrote pretty much my exact feelings.

tkl7 likes this.