'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. OKC - Original UK. The current reissue is pretty good too, if you get the right pressing. Some come directly in the cardboard inner - I didn’t like that pressing very much. The other comes in a black poly lined inner with the cardboard inner separate - that ones pretty great and far cheaper than the OG.

In Rainbows - Nothing comes close to touching the 45RPM box set version. A must own for any Radiohead fan IMO

2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Nice to see you have your priorities straight :)

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Thanks a lot that is helpful.
    Edit: i see this is about 200 eur now, including the CD that I already have… that’s a bit much for me

4. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Just received a NOS copy of Henderson/Village Vanguard Vol2. Frustrating that this is OOS at Universal. Even more frustrating that it has what appears to be fingernail scratches all over the first half of side two. It looks like someone's grabbed it as they dropped it. It was sealed, but a total mess nonetheless. Disappointing that RTI let this kind of thing pass. Side 1 sounds great though.

5. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

OT, but In Rainbows does indeed sound fabulous. The box is an annoying size though - just too tall to fit in a Kallax. I have the OKNOTOK set for OKC and I think it sounds very good. I'm, not sure if other pressings are considered to better it or in what what they could. It definitely smokes the original UK CD.

6. Matadore

Matadore Forum Resident

I have this version of In Rainbows (2016 European pressing) and I think it sounds great.

Bobsblkwax and Trifonius like this.
  7. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Great, that looks like an affordable alternative. I have the XL Hail to the thief that I also think sounds great

Matadore likes this.
  8. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Gil Evans is $33.49 pre-order on amazon

Plinko and Patanoia like this.
  9. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

I’m hoping somebody can do me a quick favor. On A1 of Carmell Jones, I’m hearing the trumpet on the right side when listening to headphones. But when I stream in the car, trumpet comes from the left and sax on the right. Could somebody listen to their copy and let me know which side the trumpet comes from?

Wondering if I’ve done something wrong with my new headphone setup.

10. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Trumpet right, sax left.

GabrielJazz likes this.
  11. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

Thank you!

Dai likes this.
  12. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Any thoughts on the XL 2016 OK Computer?

13. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Could you guys take this stuff to a thread that's actually relevant to Radiohead on vinyl?

It's Felix and river_man like this.
  14. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

This thread often digresses a little, helpful and knowledgeable people are here. It never lasts very long but if it annoys you, sure

Aeryn Sun, GabrielJazz and Dai like this.
  15. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Yes, it does annoy me -- thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

The thread is 'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series* -- nothing to do with Radiohead, so not a "little" digression.

Why even have threads if this is going to be a free-for-all?

16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Yeah. I was just wondering why even have the warble thread.

17. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

It's not common knowledge, but the asterisk actually references additional text that includes "and Radiohead"

18. Dai

I like the digressions. One of the reasons this thread is 1762 pages long is because of the the digressions and the community that has built from it. The off-topic discussions don't last long and are easily ignored if not interested.

19. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Hmm. Maybe I should go to the Motorhead - Were they big in the USA? * thread and tell them how much I like my new Black Fire Tone Poet?

In any case, warble gate is a non-issue for me. :righton: Thanks for your help @AnalogJ , @Mazzy , and @Starquest !

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. threequartersbaked

threequartersbaked Forum Resident

I'm not sure what is worse, the digressions or the complaining of said digressions. I hope this doesn't annoy you!

21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

No, not at all.

But it does amuse me a little that you used your 35th post (since you joined, about 2.5 years ago) to say this. :laugh:

22. threequartersbaked

threequartersbaked Forum Resident

This is now your 4th post engaging in digression...I stand by my previous questions.

We're really looking at join dates and post counts now? You sound like a blast. Have a great night, bud. I'm going to put on one of my favorite Tone Poets. And them maybe Radiohead.

23. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

What can I say, I'm weird, I reply to posts directed at me. You have a great evening too . . . "bud". :crazy:

24. Dai

On reflection, perhaps I chose the wrong example to white knight on. I do like digressions that come naturally out of Tone Poet chat, though...

Nycademon likes this.
  25. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I have that exact same pressing. I quickly sold my 2007 US first press after comparing for 5 seconds