Tonearm advice under 8k with removable headshell

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

I’ve been considering upgrading the tonearm of my Technics SL-1200G in the past, but came to the conclusion that there aren’t much options under 2k that are a significant improvement over the stock magnesium arm.
    That’s why I’m revisiting this idea now with an increased budget of up to 8k.

Main two requirements are 9” with removable headshell (non-proprietary).
    Preferably gimbal bearing, but open to other options as well.
    I strongly prefer lower/medium effective mass over higher effective mass, since I intend to use a wide variety of cartridges.
    Most cartridges perform best with lower effective mass.
    It looks like removable headshells are uncommon on higher end tonearms…
    The only one I’ve found so far is the Dynavector DV507MKII, which looks quite interesting with an elaborate featureset.
    However, that one is hard to find new.
    I prefer new, but I’m also open to buying used if that happens to be the way to go.
    I’m also open to tonearms that require soldering wires to install, but I’m not looking for a “DIY refurbishing vintage project”.

Any suggestions?

2. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

Oelewapper likes this.
  3. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Have you considered the Kuzma 4Point 9"?

Pappas3278 likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

That one has no removable headshell AFAIK, so that’s off the table.

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm sure you've looked at Sorane, which is probably what you are referencing. I was looking at Schick recently. That has a removable headshell, but is tailored to certain cartridges.

googlymoogly and Oelewapper like this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Overpriced, but still an excellent arm, SME M2-9R, or as you are in the Netherlands what about the Groovemaster, well within budget.

McLover likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

The Sorane definitely looks like it’s inspired by the Dynavector tonearms.
    But in that case I would prefer a Dynavector.

8. Oelewapper

The Groovemaster is 22 grams effective mass… Idk if that’s suitable for all of my cartridges…

9. Ontheone

It removes with a a small allen screw. I have this arm with 2 headshells.

[​IMG]

jusbe and Ingenieur like this.
  10. Oelewapper

Does it accept standard SME type headshells?

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You may be looking at the TA-1, which follows along the Jelco design. They have some other arms, too, that a very versatile.

Oelewapper likes this.
  12. Ontheone

Ah, probably not. It's a hexagon-shaped insert.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think you're going to have a tough time TBH. It's not about your budget, but rather what the tiny standalone tonearm market caters to. IIRC the magnesium 1200G arm is something like 9g EM? Good luck finding anything at all like that for a standalone tonearm.

The lighter arms out there will have fixed headshells and most of the removable headshell ones will have higher effective mass geared towards medium/low compliance MC carts. You may find some arms that use expensive swappable wand systems, for example.

Does SME still make their light vintage style tonearms and sell them separately? Maybe some of those are an option.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One more thing. It's not exactly what you asked for but there is a company based in the UK or Europe that makes a special plinth for the 1200. I can't remember the company name, but I believe it accepts up to 3 tonearms. That could be a way to scratch an itch if you wanted to mess around with different tonearms and cartridges, but not modify your turntable, or give up the existing 1200G arm and its flexibility.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

Ah too bad…
    I’m running 6 cartridges on Jelco HS-25 headshells and I have 5 spares of them in storage for future additions to my cartridge collection.
    So I’ve basically settled on those headshells for the upcoming few years.
    They’re SME connector type with dual pin (top and bottom).

Boltman92124 likes this.
  16. Oelewapper

Maybe in the future… I’m short on space right now for those kind of things…

patient_ot likes this.
  17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Just for reference.

All Products Collection - Acoustand Audio

18. Oelewapper

I believe it’s closer to 12 grams.
    Haha thanks lol
    Some tonearms that are fairly high mass actually are quite low effective mass though; the Dynavector for example has some kind of design that makes its effective mass much lower than you’d expect.
    But that comes at a price of course…

patient_ot likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Dyna arms certainly do have a very distinctive and interesting look. I assume they are/were designed to pair well with Dyna cartridges.

20. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

If you're going for such a high-end and expensive tonearm, why making a compromise in sound with removable headshell? Makes no sense to me.

4-2-7, MGW, tryitfirst and 2 others like this.
  21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Reeds headshells are removable. Not the design the OP wants' but once set-up you're done until wear sets in.

22. Oelewapper

Removable headshell doesn’t equal compromise.
    It just needs to be well implemented into the rest of the tonearm design.

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Well, you have extra wires and connectors in the path of a very small signal. Probably those with a straight run of wire from cart to phono pre believe there is some sonic benefit in that.

MGW, Boltman92124 and popol_vuh like this.
  24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Ikeda IT-345 is very well made and will fit your budget.. but I am very happy with Sorane Sa1.2 at quarter of ikeda price.

jusbe, Oelewapper and jupiterboy like this.
  25. Oelewapper

Yeah I know the stories, but I’ve never seen proof of that, nor is it observable (some high-end high performing tonearms do have removable headshells).
    It’s just some of the many many myths that persist in this hobby.

brucej4 and lsipes1965 like this.