Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality & General Discussion: "Swing Along With Me" (1961)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 20, 2013.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The Reprise stuff has been under the UMe umbrella for quite some time now.

zoltantamas likes this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OH YEAH! What "Brainiac" had the brilliant idea to truncate the stereo version????? :realmad:

MLutthans likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

02a9446d-4735-448b-bc5f-18e19b474733-XXX_D01_MAD_ALFRED_18.jpeg

4. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I guess this Japanese LP isn't a remix? Seems like it is hit-and-miss with these Japanese '80s reissues if original stereo mixes or remixes. There's still several more of those Japanese reissues to come as Matt continues his Reprise album sound quality pages (for which I am very grateful!), so who knows what we'll find then...

5. MLutthans

Maybe I am having a senior moment (all too common these days), but I don't recall any Japanese Reprise (not Concord-era) LP issues being NEW remixes, except for Great Songs from Great Britain, which .was kind of a weirdo circumstance, since there was no USA counterpart when the Japanese LP was released. (The German release also used that 2nd mix.) Sinatra and Strings used the 1968 2nd mix, but that mix was in use on the USA pressings long before that Japanese LPs came out. Any included previously-unreleased bonus tracks are a crapshoot, maybe, as the ones that come to mind were newly (sometimes poorly) mixed for release in Japan.

rangerjohn likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  7. MLutthans

Lots of session pics back on page 11. @roda12 recently pointed out this shot that appears in the gatefold of the UK version of THE CONCERT SINATRA LP. Maybe from these SWING ALONG WITH ME sessions?
    R-3249169-1615218965-1012~2.jpg
    Any thoughts? Here's one of the known SWING ALONG shots:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  8. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

This is my favorite too, it’s from 1984.

paulmock likes this.
  9. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Just bought a mint copy of the MFSL 2011 reissue... Well, it sounds great to me, very satisfied!

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    zoltantamas and paulmock like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That is all that matters!!!!! ENJOY!

11. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Today I came across an early Reprise mono LP pressing of this album. It has the original pre-lawsuit title Swing Along with Me, the "serious" Frank tri-color label, and runouts as follows:

Side 1: R-1002-A-5-[backwards S] [12 in circle] 10,013
    Side 2: R-1002-B-6 [1 in circle] 10,014

Pressing ring diameter: 69mm
    Pressed at Columbia Records, Santa Maria, CA

It sounds quite good to me, perhaps a little too strong around 8-10 kHz, but tolerable; upper bass perhaps a little weak. For the $5 I paid for it, I'm quite happy. There is a small amount of background noise and the occasional pop (in contrast to the mono copy of That's Life I also got, which is pretty much flawless).

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Is Tux the Cat, a music lover? Baby, my Tuxedo cat is a music lover. Baby loves Frank Sinatra's work. Cocks her ears, once she's in the sweet spot. Enjoy Tux!

13. Luca

Listening now to the 1984 Japanese LP. I already had the MFSL, but this one doesn't sound bad at all: a bit bright and brash, perhaps, but very lively and the vocal tone is absolutely decent!

frus75 likes this.
  14. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

Luca do you have the American R9?

15. frus75

frus75 Forum Resident

Spot on! To start with, foreign countries were given 2 track stereo tape copies. From that, little remixing could be done. They didn’t get the 3 track (or later 4,8, etc) masters to make a new dedicated mix.

16. Luca

No, only the MFSL and the Japanese. R9 in perfect conditions are hard to find!