SH Spotlight Russ Gary recording Creedence at Heider. Beatles, etc. Do you have any favorite pix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Why, those are the transporter controls! :shh:

I have some from Cosimo Matassa's second studio on a disc somewhere, I'll try to post a couple tonight.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The Who:

First picture, October 3, 1966, CBS Studios

Second picture, Face Dances, 1980, Odyssey Studios

Attached Files:

3. Steve Hoffman

Columbia 30th Street Studio (A converted church).

This is where MILES DAVIS/KIND OF BLUE and DAVE BRUBECK/TAKE FIVE were recorded.

The control room, ace Frank Lacio, engineer.

Attached Files:

4. Steve Hoffman

Paul and Linda coming through the door at Columbia, NYC during the RAM project.

Attached Files:

5. Steve Hoffman

Federal Sound, Kingston. Where Johnny Nash recorded "HOLD ME TIGHT", etc. A great sounding studio.

Attached Files:

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

The Columbia church conversion looks amazing...

Is that a beer behind Frank in the lower left pic?? :)

7. Steve Hoffman

Dave Sarser, a great engineer (and famous violin player) at his Toscanini Studio in the basement of Villa Pauline in Riverdale.

Dave Sarser recording with his custom Pultec three-track console at STUDIO 3, NYC. He had the first three-track setup on the east coast and was involved with getting Les Paul his first Ampex eight-track. Note the three Altec monitors above his head in the photo.

Dave Sarser tweaking the Pultec EQ, with piano Kings John Steinway (right), leaning on the console, Fritz Steinway (seated left) and the advertising reps looking on.

All the above from Jim Reeves great website.

Attached Files:

8. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Steve Hoffman:"Dave Sarser, a great engineer at his Toscanini Studio in the basement of Villa Pauline"

I would love to know where that is exactly. Riverdale is my stomping grounds. I know Toscanini, and Mark Twain both resided at what is now the Wave Hill Museum, and gardens. I don't believe there was a studio at that location but I could be wrong.

That CBS room where Brubeck and Miles recorded sounded great. I do not think it exists as a studio today.

10. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

No, it doesn't. The 30th Street location was torn down in the mid-1980s.

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

12. kudesai

kudesai New Member

13. Steve Hoffman

You sure it's 1970? I see that mono full-track tape machine right in the middle....

14. kudesai

kudesai New Member

15. kudesai

kudesai New Member

I agree, its probably earlier. I took the date from the caption.

16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, Webster Hall, a great sounding recording venue. Most great sounding RCA original cast, jazz, etc. stuff was done there. I think it's still there. On East 11th street, isn't it? It was built pre-depression and sat empty until Victor needed a "big" sounding NYC studio. They probably got it cheap.. Engineer Bob Simpson did his best work there. No isolation booth at Webster Hall, everything was out in the open for that nice, natural sound. Not as "churchy" sounding as Columbia's 30th Street Studio. More of a down to earth sound with nice natural reverb.

Scotty Moore's website is one of the best on the Web. Recommended reading and great photos!

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What a gorgeous room! It must've been a pleasure to work there.

BTW, look at the size of that patch bay. Holy crap! Must've been able to patch into several rooms with that thing.

18. Steve Hoffman

The next time you listen to TAKE FIVE in stereo, remember those pictures. That's all NATURAL reverb; no chamber needed.

I was told that you could "patch" right in to the other Columbia Studios via high fidelity phone line via the patch bay, all three channels (L, R & C). In other words, they had the town wired. Impressive.

Contrast this with the dead, dry sound of the studios in the late 1960's and 70's, all those little isolated rooms, well padded. Totally the opposite of the big rooms of the 1950's.

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Bill Putnam and Lee Gillette, Universal, Chicago, May 1955.

Attached Files:

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Another gorgeous room...

Attached Files:

21. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Here is another Stax photo from '67 that seems contemporary with the first picture.

[​IMG]

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It's a club now. It has been since the 80s. At least it still exists. It has not fallen to the wrecking ball.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Columbia 30th Street....

I was listening to one of my all time favoutite albums today which happens to have been recorded in that wonderful hall - Tony Bennett's 1964 album Who Can I Turn To.

I was listening to the 1995 CD release which is a remix (from a 3-track I guess) and the reverb sounded wonderfully natural. Is this just the live sound of the hall at 30th Street printed directly onto the multitrack? I always assumed the echo had to have been added during the remix but this sounds much better than what I'd expect to be used in 1995 (Lexicon or similar digital rubbish). I guess what I am asking is - do all 30th Street Columbia recordings have the natural room echo in abundance thanks to close-miking techniques not being in use much until the mid to late 60s? Also, did they used to add further echo from a chamber on the original mixes? The vocals in particular usually end up sounding strangely glassy with echoey sibilance on original Tony Bennett mixes.......

Attached Files:

24. Steve Hoffman

This is the best thread ever. It's going right into the permanent FAQ section after awhile..

25. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I definitely think the room added the echo. But I think the reason they may have remixed the album was because the contemporary stereo mixes tended to be overly bright (for some reason). That may also account for the echoy sibilance. I have almost all the pre-1967 Tony Bennet mono LP's, and the mono mixes don't have that glassy sibilant sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.