Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's a good recommendation. I would also see Stereo Jacks as well, in Cambridge Ma. He doesn't treat classical music like a second thought.

greebls and DISKOJOE like this.
  2. greebls

greebls Well-Known Member

excellent!! many thanks. driving up there, daughter living in jamaica plain area. sounds like a daytrip will be in the works.

uzn007 and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Orpheus Performing Arts in Back Bay. Orpheus Performing Arts Treasures classical music store isn’t going anywhere – The Daily Free Press

greebls likes this.
  4. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

It's a great store. I used to go there frequently when I worked in Salem. It's on the fringe of downtown and parking can be difficult at times and it's a bit of a hike to the train station. Well worth the trip though. The prices are moderate and I have bought some really good items there.

DISKOJOE and greebls like this.
  5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Mystery Train in Gloucester has a vast classical LP selection, well worth the trip. And if you find yourself in NYC Academy Records on W. 18th St. is the best used classical store on the east coast.

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Stereo Jack's is now in Somerville. Jack (Woker) sold the store last year and the new owner had to move because Jack's lease ran out and a cannabis store moved in.

greebls likes this.
  7. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

My wife is a Gloucester native, so I drop in at Mystery Train frequently when we are in town.

greebls, DISKOJOE and Marc Perman like this.
  8. Sckott

This is good to know. I almost stopped by a few weeks ago. Jack has had problems with the lease for a while. Good guy.

greebls and MAP like this.
  9. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I’ve known Paul since the early 90’s and never knew he was into classical.

My father and I started shopping there in the mid 70’s, the original owner Skippy turned us on to a lot of music.

greebls, MAP and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I finally got a chance to head up to Color Sound Oblivion. As advertised it's hyper focused on industrial/EBM/noise/darkwave/coldwave/goth but they do have a fair bit of 80's synth-pop in the bins as well. But if you're not into the store's focus I wouldn't bother going in unless you are heading right by it. If you are into the store's focus then it's about as good of a selection as you're going to find in northern New England. The store is in a former ATM building so it's super tiny, 9 bins of vinyl + some CD's on the wall which I didn't look at (but should have there is a fair bit of this kind of music that is CD only. Prices on new and used vinyl are what I would consider cheap, generally under the market rate. Basically similar to what you'd probably find if you stumbled across this stuff in a more conventional store and they had no idea what it was.

I was trying to keep it reasonable so I walked out with 5 records, but could have bought several more. If they had a listening station setup maybe even more; they had some things that looked interesting that even I didn't know. To give you an idea of what they have here is what I bought:

The Fixx - Phantoms (80's synth-pop)
    The Human League - Dare (ditto)
    Ash Code - Oblivion (darkwave/post-punk band, this is their debut LP from 2014)
    Click Click - Wet Skin and Curious Eye (80's EBM on Play It Again Sam/Wax Trax)
    Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant (2022 reissue of early 90's EBM on Wax Trax)

greebls likes this.
  11. greebls

thanks, that is great! i knew there had to be one. now i have a good reason for nyc visit.
    love this group! thanks to all for your recs!

Marc Perman likes this.
  12. greebls

you didn't mention whale watching! its a cinch! my wife teresa has been dying to see right whales for years.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I generally don’t do boats!

greebls likes this.
  14. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

I don't either, but you can enjoy looking at them from any number of Gloucester Harbor resturants after your trip to Mystery Train Records!

greebls and Marc Perman like this.
  15. Sckott

Just wanted to mention, I made it into the new Stereo Jacks. For those who need the subway, it's right over Green Line/Ball Square. The new store is smaller, but in some ways, better. They are still getting great Lps all the time, Jazz and Rock; everything was priced decently (some they had as collector's pieces, expected prices). I had a great time and parking was a lot easier. I took away about 20+ records and only spent under $50 and there were some surprises in the bunch, like $1 records to replace copies I had that were not great. Cute sign outside. Hope the store stays alive ! They got rid of a lot of stuff that wasn't selling and the "New Arrivals" was 8ft long, across in bins. 80 min and done.

16. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

The Music Research Library moved from Providence to Beacon Hill in Boston. Their Providence location always had great stuff, especially jazz. Vas and Zach are great guys.

Plunderphonica, uzn007 and greebls like this.
  17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

There's a relatively new record / guitar store in Hudson, MA, called Guitars & Grooves. Very small, and they sell used vinyl only, so no new releases.

I've perused a few times and purchased a few times. All in great shape with reasonable pricing.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I am currently with family on vacation in Boston, and was able to visit music research library in their beacon hill location. Great store! Had so much good stuff, of all genres, very cool guy and charm to the store. Love that they don’t carry the same old same old, seems to be thoughtfully curated and can’t get over how much killer stuff they had for a small store.

Plunderphonica, DISKOJOE and petercl like this.
  19. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

They put in a lot of work getting stuff for the store.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Plunderphonica likes this.
  21. PB with J

PB with J Forum Resident

Music Research Library is at 24 Joy Street, which is one way to go from the Commons to Cambridge Street (it's on the corner of Joy and Myrtle).

Plunderphonica, Daddy-O4 and uzn007 like this.
  22. greebls

greetings!

I have been back in Florida for a couple of days, here are the record stores I visited in Boston:
    --I was not nearly able to go all over the place as I had wished-- :/

First stop was Orpheus and a major disappointment. I couldn't get in the door. The person at the desk said they were closed for 'personal reasons'. He said maybe they would be open at 4pm. After taking the subway and bit of walking to get there, hard not to start swearing. I called later in the day and was told that they lost their lease, everything was in boxes, and the place they were about to move into, next door apparently, was no longer available. and that was it. great disappointment.

And right down the street is Nuggets. Walked there in a huff, so bummed out from the orpheus experience that I probably spent only 10 minutes in there. not impressed with the classical sections and the rest of the store I did not find very inviting. bought nothing.

Then proceeded towards the North End, and found Music Research Library. a very small store, boutique in nature. records were mostly new and mostly expensive. nothing I was interested in. quirky stuff. and mostly expensive. bought nothing.

then farther towards the water, Good Taste records. this place looked new. a little more records than MRL, offering lots of hip hop and r&b, and pop mostly. and mostly all new. bought nothing.

after we got back to our place in Jamaica Plain I took a walk to Deep Thoughts. And was pleasantly surprised. The first 4 bins were experimental/analogue works. things I had never seen. a big world section, lots of rock. Lots of used lps. I spent the most time there and a lot of money.

the next day we went to the Cambridge area. had lunch at Charlies Kitchen and visited Armageddon Shop. A well organized place. I saw things I never thought I would see on vinyl. Had I gone here earlier I would have dropped more cash. this was on our last day in town. bought 3 records.

On our way back to the apartment we stopped into Tres Gatos, a restaurant with a record store in the back. Mostly all new, pop and indie for the most part, some blues and jazz. lots of vinyl crammed in there. for record store day they were going to devote the whole place to vinyl, which seemed very generous, the restaurant seemed like a busy place. this was just like the store in my town, seen most of it before. bought 2 records.

that evening went back to deep thoughts and bought 3 records.

Did not get to visit Salem or Gloucester. Or any other Boston shops. sorry. enjoyed the visit very much. Boston overall much smaller than I expected, which was nice. one didn't need a car to get around, as opposed to Atlanta, which is a driving hell.

Good job Boston!!

the haul:

Baris Manco - Yeni Bir Gun
    Michel Magne - Musique Tachiste
    Joris De Laet- Exp. and Parametric Music 1976-2017
    Emerald Web - the Stargate Tapes
    Willie Lane - Known Quantity
    Messiaen/Xenakis - MHS Acapella pieces
    Alhaji Bai Konte - Kora Melodies
    Billie Holiday Sings
    Dropdead- 1993
    Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
    Varuckers - Prepare For the Attack
    Mississippi Fred McDowell /Johnny Woods - Mama Says I'm Crazy
    Boygenius - The Record

Marc Perman, sharedon and quindembo like this.
  23. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Deep Thoughts is great.

greebls likes this.
  24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and hope that you didn’t suffer sticker shock in our restaurants.

25. greebls

that store made me feel right at home, like, where you have you been!