Do sellers even check their Discogs accounts anymore?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Redd House, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will Thread Starter

Frustrating. I've placed two orders in the last week or so with not a word from either seller for days on end. Anyone else experiencing this lately?

2. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

I have not experienced this. Normally the are on it that day. I pay up front via PayPal so maybe that helps. Are you paying up front?

negative1 likes this.
  3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I haven't had any problems, no.

You are aware there is a procedure for dealing with issues like this, yes?

negative1 likes this.
  4. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

I asked two sellers for pictures of an item they had listed. This item is £70 so I am not ordering blind. No pictures from either so far so I will keep looking if they don't want my money.

5. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I have cut back on going to Discgogs as prices have climbed dramatically. Shipping prices have been a high too.

Dave and conjotter like this.
  6. Redd House

Yessir.

7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I check their feedback.

8. Redd House

Both sales are for items I really want so I don't want to get them suspended after 4 days of not answering. Maybe they're on vacation or in the hospital, who knows. But I'm just going to hang tight and hope they check their damn email sometime before Christmas. :doh:

9. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

As far as I know there is no other way since discogs payment has been linked with PayPal for a while now

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  10. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Order from me, just started selling recently and I ship out within a couple days. My experience buying off of Discogs has been pretty good, and prompt too.
    One recent change I heard about is the international shipping rates were jacked up absurdly high due to, well something I don’t understand. I quickly limited my sales to domestic only ( I’m in the US ) after I had to ship an LP to Germany, $26 just for postage, ended up making $5 on that album. That could be throwing off those selling internationally I guess.

11. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

shipping is a pain and significant cost generally.

There are a couple of records I have on my want list, that I will instantly snap up if they come up at my price point. Otherwise, I try to only buy when a seller has 2-3 records that I want, in order to save on postage costs (and also see if they do a discount due to buying multiples).

Front Row likes this.
  12. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

postage should just be set at international rates, should it not - so it doesn’t really matter what the postage is.

I am in the UK, and rarely buy overseas as VAT and postage make most things unviable - but occasionally it works.

13. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I occasionally sell records on discogs and I have never sold a record after someobody had asked me for a photo - not once .
    Also never got any feedback either .
    And I am sure this had nothing to do with the quality of the photo or the condition of the record .

jackieboy likes this.
  14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I order from Discogs all the time, but I always ask a question before I place an order. If there's no answer in a day or two, and sometimes there's not, then I either don't place the order - or order from someone else.

negative1 likes this.
  15. International shipping is deal killer, in fact Discogs should have a way to screen out overseas offers if you wish( which I know they will never do).

16. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

It shouldn't do as the buyer pays the postage charge.

17. Trainspotting

Except most of what I order comes from Europe or Japan. US sellers don't seem to have what I'm looking for most of the time.

negative1 likes this.
  18. So you are paying some serious postage, god bless you! Are you ordering boxed sets or vintage vinyl?

19. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i'm in the US, and used to regularly order from UK, and Europe.
    yes, it cost more for the shipping, but the items i order are usually so cheap, that it evens out.

occasionally, some of the items are very expensive, but then the shipping isn't really a factor.

now, the real problem is with the items that the sellers won't ship to the US.

so now, i just bulk order items, to a person, and have them send it to me.
    that way i pay European taxes and shipping, and a minimal amount to the US.

i order about 100-200 items a month, so the shipping costs vary from $1 to $2 per item,
    thats it.

here's some examples:
    Code:
    1) Of course, there is also EUR - UK Shipping costs (not shown, but in general, very cheap, even registered
    for expensive items

2) The orders are a mix of 7 inch, 12 inch, cd singles, LPs and cassettes usually. So the weight varies

3) I have converted the shipping cost from UKP to USD (and rounded up)

Month Items Shipping to US Per Item
    -------------------------------------------------
    Jun 49 $70 $1.43
    Jul 63 $110 $1.75
    Aug 130 $90 $0.69 [115 7 inch, 12 CDs]
    Sep 26 $50 $1.92
    Oct 52 $90 $1.73
    Nov 112 $90 $0.80 [19 12 inch, 44 7 inch, 10 cass, 34 CDs]

for jan 2023
    ========
    items ordered - 101 items
    2 10 inch
    47 12 inch
    42 7 inch
    2 7 inch Pic
    1 CD
    1 Magazine
    6 LP
    ==========
    Cost to ship to USA - $120

so approx $1.20 per item

Also shipping time : 4 days from their location to my house.
    ---
    for feb
    ===========
    Count Format
    2 10 inch
    72 12 inch
    3 LP
    77 Totals
    ================
    Cost to ship to usa - $60

so approx : $1.28 per item

So it is half the cost as before. Weight : 16.5 kg

Shipping time : Should be 1 week.
    ----

update for march
    ==============
    Count Format
    52 7 inch
    22 Cassette
    2 Book
    40 CD
    1 Magazine
    117 Totals
    ==========
    cost to ship to usa : $80

so approx : $1.46

shipping time for both : 1 week

later
    |||| || | | || |
    neg ativ e 1

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Thank you for taking one for the team!

21. So you are using some kind of consolidator who takes all your individual European Discogs orders, boxes and ships to you? But you have also incurred European costs on each specific order. Are you buying 80s? And for a store to offset the two layers of cost?

negative1 likes this.
  22. Trainspotting

A lot of Japanese CDs, 5.1 sets, etc. Never vinyl. I am so not a vinyl guy.

zphage likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Do their terms help explain their silence ?

I ask because I am currently waiting for an album I ordered last Saturday to begin shipping.
    In their terms they explain that it can take them 3 - 5 business days to ship. Weekends don't count.
    Therefore today is the 5th business day so I should see some activity.
    They further explain if you message them within that 3 - 5 day period they will not respond.

Why am I using them you might wonder ?
    My past orders arrived very quickly ( they're local ) in their own designed mailers which are great, with zero damage to my purchased records.

They're not the only ones I've seen that lean heavily on their TERMS, many do.

24. __Patrick__

When I've done that (inquired), things have gone south for me. The sellers both up'ed the price significantly once they saw my interest. :mad: I moved on from both immediately...

25. __Patrick__

Yep, 5 day wait time is not uncommon. Most ship fast though. Those with wait times usually state so in their terms.

Myke likes this.