SH Spotlight Russ Gary recording Creedence at Heider. Beatles, etc. Do you have any favorite pix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks for the info, Martin! :righton:

Prompted me to look in the Mosaic KC3 liners; according to Mosaic, it was MacGregor to '44, Radio from '45 - '48, and "CAP" (presumably Melrose) from '49. So the top of your head's in fine form. ;) Also a great many NKC Trio dates were waxed at "WMGM" in New York. Was that standard for Capitol, or unique to the KC3? Anyone have pics of that studio?

2. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

Found some additional BB/BW scans on Google:

Attached Files:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Russ Gary with Kevin Gray and I last year at AcousTech, Camarillo, CA.

Attached Files:

4. Steve Hoffman

Better Records' Tom Port, my hair bun and the Master Masterer STAN RICKER. This was at the old mastering room at Record Tech when Stan and I were working on John Coltrane's "LUSH LIFE" for the DCC 180 gram LP. Probably 1997 or so? Stan was trying to figure out how to get the crippling top end oscillation from the tapes out of the cutting amps. Not a fun day..

Second shot that same day (from left: Don M. owner of RTI, Stan Ricker, Tom Port, me, Brian Hartsell, owner of The Analog Room in San Jose, Future SH Forums member Kim Kerwin.) I remember it was cold as hell in there that day.

Attached Files:

5. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

Thanks for clearing that up, Chip. Keep up the great work - and keep the pictures coming...this is AWESOME!

I had to throw in a few of me and my boys in the control room of #2 studio at Abbey Road in March, 2001, recording a silly song my brother and I wrote. I'm the bald guy in the back in the middle.

The second shot is also in the control room of #2. My brother Alan is on the left, engineer Peter Cobbin is at the desk and assistant Mirek Stiles is on the right.

The third is my brother Alan and me, in our glory.

Andre

Attached Files:

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Caribou Ranch, Colorado

Rocky Mountain News reporter Mark Brown has started a thread about his article on Caribou Ranch:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=138434

I hope it's OK to post a couple of screen grabs I made from the article:

Control Room

[​IMG]

George Martin and Geoff Emerick at the ranch (notice the 16-channel desk - must be an earlier photo as the one above looks like a 32-channel desk):

[​IMG]

Not sure what they were working on - an Elton John album maybe?

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's really cool! Any chance you'd post a clip of the song? :)

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

They never worked on an EJ album did they? Could it be America?

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I wouldn't know - I'm not a big Elton fan....

Just been searching the web and America's 1976 LP Hideaway seems a likely candidate :agree:

10. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Correct.

11. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Jeez, I go and hide under a rock for 2 weeks and miss one of the best threads ever?!!

These could quite possibly be some of my favorite Lennon photos, ever! He looks so genuinely happy. :)

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Correct. I wrote the article. That's the America "Hideaway" album they were working on. Henry Diltz shot the front cover, and this is a never-before-seen photo during a recording session.

13. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Fantastic shot. I haven't read the article yet but I look forward to it. Caribou was always mythical to me as a big EJ fan in the 70s. :thumbsup:

14. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Thanks for the link your article. Great stuff.

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I like that. When did Universal move from the Ontario St. facility over to Walton?

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's a bunch of al kooper related shots from various studios.he's had quite a colorful career.you'll recognize;dylan,skynyrd,blood sweat and tears,super session,a couple of beatles and the tubes.this is the first post.another will follow.

Attached Files:

17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

and some more kooper.

Attached Files:

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Those are AWESOME pics. I've always wanted to see wide shots of that studio but never have found any. Thanks for posting. So sad the place is gone but thankfully the music made there still lives.

Most people think of Columbia's jazz and rock artists recording there, but a lot of great classical music was made there too.

dan c

19. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

The master at work:

[​IMG]

20. I just read this thread from beginning to the latest post. FANTASTIC. It adds a new dimension to the listening experience to see the space where this stuff was recorded - particularly the posts about the Columbia 30th St space and insights about Tony Bennett etc. Enlightening stuff.

21. Something to consider for Stevehoffman.tv 2.0:

All these great pics (and the hard work in scanning, researching and gathering this stuff) would really benefit from image sharing features on this site (like Flickr) where images could be tagged and organised by band, studio, era, etc., and commented on individually, rather than requiring to be quoted. That'd also allow us to view or browse them as a slide show, or thumbnails. The same goes for all the fabulous shots that are being gathered of musicians, rare album covers, record labels, target CDs, etc etc.

22. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Here's a few of Radiohead recording In Rainbows. I'm sort of surprised that nobody else has posted these yet, given the number of discboxes purchased on this forum... :wave:

Attached Files:

23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

...and another: Ed O'Brien straddles the studio monitors.

Attached Files:

24. Steve Hoffman

I nominate you.

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Everly Brothers at work...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.