Lee Perry - Upsetters 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I'm listening to this album for the first time... it's the Auralux stereo release from a few years ago.

For those not familiar, it was called the first dub album for a long time, but apparently that's not quite true. However, Perry pressed 300 albums in 1973. Ever since then, it showed up in various quality until it was reissued recently in stereo.

Does anybody know if this is REALLY stereo, or simply a transfer of the split tapes? Was it always supposed to be mono?

Lastly, how's the vinyl edition?

http://www.upsetter.net/scratch/disco/albums/blackboard_jungle2.htm

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

i do not own this particular album, but another AURALUX Re-Issue : Sly & Robbie - The Taxi Years on DoLP. Their remasterings are top, some say the first Vinyls are hit & miss, but the CD's are always great sounding.
    As far as The Upsetter goes, when LEE PERRY started recording in his Black Ark Studio he used STEREO Sound. He recorded everything on a regular TEAC STEREO Tape-Machine and had an 8 Channel - Mixing board. He used to put 4 tracks on each Stereo-Side, so this might sound like a fold-down - but it was the only way to do the pre-mastering. He usually recorded the bass, drums , guitars and keyboards on one track each (perfect for dubs later on) and mixed these on one Stereo Channel and the vocals on the other. He could double the voice and still have 2 tracks for harmonies , percussions or horns - That was usually mixed down to the other Stereo Channel. The Stereo Panorama was often reworked during the mastering process i guess.
    For his Dubs he used whatever tracks sounded good to him, bass + drums for the foundation , keyboard and/or guitar stabs to accent the rhythm. vocal snippets as chorus, sound effects and whatever on top....

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

As I understand it, the LP was originally released in '73 in true stereo, but that later LP and CD reissues used inferior mixes from tape copies of unknown origin (the version on RAS that I have, for example, is not in true stereo). I have read that the Auralux reissue is, indeed, the first to restore the original mix. If that's true, then enjoy! How does it sound to your ears?

I may have to pick one up myself!

L.

4. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

The Auralux one is a needledrop, taken from a first Jamaican pressing.

I've had several different incarnations of this LP, and the Auralux one is easily the best sounding of them.

It's true stereo. I'm sure it predates the Black Ark, though - I thought that went 'live' 74/75? In any case, it's mixed by King Tubby, so I would expect it was done at his studio.

If I could only keep one dub LP, this would be it. The version of the 'Words' rhythm, 'Khasha Macka" is amazing, especially the last minute, when Tubby pulls down the drums in and out of the mix

Tim

5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

if it says' mixed at King Tubbby's' it's from Tubby's Waterhouse Studio. Lee Perry was hired as an engineer there before he opened his Black Ark.
    He also was a freelancer for other studios (Harry Mudies i.e.) esp. with The Barret Bros untill they joined Bob Marley to found The Wailers. He still is very upset about that ...
    Not exactly sure when that Black Ark opened : 73/74 - something like that.

6. CardinalFang

Is there a recommended Lee Perry biography that I should read?

7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

PADYBU likes this.
  9. CardinalFang

Thanks! I discovered that site last night, and downloaded every podcast since the first one in 2006. :thumbsup: Good stuff. :)

10. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

You're welcome. I found that site an indispensable source of info. when I was trying a few years ago to get a handle on Perry's output and build a collection.

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.