Revisiting Ryko Bowie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 21, 2020.

1. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I just recently traded away all my Bowie Ryko cds - I realized I never played them and didn’t really care about any of the bonus tracks that I didn’t have elsewhere. The main bonus track from all of the Ryko bonus tracks I play often is Crystal Japan, which I love, but of course it’s also in the NCIANT box. I also like the two live tracks from Nassau Colliseum on STS, but even though they do sound better on the Ryko cd, I’d always rather just play the whole concert anyway.

I’m bet happy with the RCA cd version I have for each album covered by the Ryko cds.

2. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

You didn’t rate I Pray, Ole?

Quincy and friendofafriend like this.
  3. friendofafriend

Sorry, no. I mean I don’t hate it, but I never pulled the cd out to hear it, and I won’t miss not having it.

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

After reading this thread and the observations from @Vaughan , I decided to pick up the Sound + Vision Box Set... I had it when it came out and loved it. I found a copy on Discogs for $15. A hell of a deal, considering everything is included in the box and the discs are in great shape!

I did no comparisons. I just ripped the discs with XLD and loaded it into Roon. I found myself really enjoying the set, and heard nothing offensive in mastering. A different style, sure. But still a great listen.

Just because I'm a collector/archivist/nerd, I decided to start looking for Ryko Bowie discs in the shops. My goal is to have a complete set living next to my RCA discs. :)

Maurice, furthermore, pobbard and 7 others like this.
  5. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I have the S+V box too - in the old album-sized flat pack. Good condition. I've tried to sell it a couple of times and been surprised by the low offers. Holding on to it for now.

croquetlawns and CBackley like this.
  6. croquetlawns

It still has some exclusive content so I’m hanging onto mine as well!

TeddyB likes this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I'm astounded that I was able to buy an original version of this box for $12 plus shipping. The seller rated the sleeve condition as VG, but they really under-promised on that one. I'd rate it at VG+, and it includes all booklets, even the generic Ryko catalog that was included in the box. I've listened to it at least three times since it arrived. Worth every penny and then some.

8. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I do have a complete set of the Ryko albums, are they something desirable? Worth more than $1-2 a piece? With the boxes now I do find I don't touch them. Those fragile clear green ryko cases, the discholders always prone to breaking.

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

A Ryko CD question for those in the know: Is there a silver-to-center Ryko CD of Scary Monsters (vs. the later plastic hub version in green jewel case)?

Just for fun I've collected all the first run silver-to-center PDO pressings in regular jewel cases along with the later green jewel case versions, with the exception that I've yet to come across an earlier PDO pressing of Scary Monsters.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The Au20 gold discs seem to go for much more than standard pressings.

croquetlawns likes this.
  11. friendofafriend

I recently traded my mostly complete cd set (minus Space Oddity and David Live, but including ChangesBowie) for around $60 store credit at my local record store. I'm sure I'd have gotten somewhat more if I'd sold them individually on Discogs, but that would have been a lot more work for me.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

I got it when it came out and I'm still trying to figure out what the hell to do with this!

13. croquetlawns

:D

14. SteveMaturin

SteveMaturin Forum Resident

Yes, I was buying the Rykos on import as they were coming out. My Scary Monsters is solid silver. I think this and Ziggy the Motion Picture (also solid silver) were the last of the Rykos to be issued in the non AU20 series. So far as I am aware they were also the first that had the green tinted jewel cases with the original pressing. Everything before had been in a standard jewel case.

davers and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yes there is, my copy has the silver-to-center disc. But it also came out in its initial release in a clear green jewel case. As I recall, this was one of the first Ryko CD releases that had a defect with the overly-brittle CD tray teeth that necessitated a recall/exchange program directly with Rykodisc. Since this was my favorite Bowie album at the time, I bought my copy on the day it came out at the now-long-gone Boston Tower Records.

yesstiles and davers like this.
  16. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies; I'll need to track down that solid silver Scary Monsters to complete my Ryko CD set (minus a few of the AU20 gold discs).

On a related note, several years ago I found a complete set of sealed Sound & Vision boxes (CD, cassette, clear vinyl) at a couple of local record stores. I usually don't do the multi-format thing but these boxes look so cool I couldn't pass them up!

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    croquetlawns, maui jim and Maurice like this.
  17. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

...especially with the SH/forum recommended eq applied :).

18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I re-listened to the Diamond Dogs 1990 EMI Made in Austria CD, which presumably is the European equivalent of the Ryko and as a CD it's pretty good, better IMO than the WG RCA or 2016 I now think.

The WG CD RCA is the only one I have that sounds a bit like an original UK LP, dark and kind of closed, but that sound doesn't really work on the too quiet, feeble WG RCA CD. It works fine IMO on the old LP, for a dirty, grimier sound-contrast for example with the huge, clear sound of Aladdin Sane.

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. friendofafriend

I like the 2016 Diamond Dogs cd a little better than the Ryko, and the made in Japan US RCA I have a little better than the 2016. I’ve never heard the WG RCA or the EMI.

Plan9 and croquetlawns like this.