VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

That gives us some time to steady ourselves, steady ourselves.;)

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Van sometimes wore funny hats in the 70's too...

Attached Files:

3. Clarkophile

Above photo: Morrison's little-known stint as "Papa" Van in the reformed Mamas and the Papas after a petulant John Phillips backed out at the last moment.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

anyone pick up these new remasters today? curious on their sound...

5. Clarkophile

I checked Amazon.ca and they aren't being released here in Canada until early Feb. If I'm wrong about this, somebody tell me.

I just ordered A Sense of Wonder.

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I picked up It's Too Late and Tupelo Honey today, have not gotten a chance to listen yet.

7. Clarkophile

Cool. Please share your thoughts here after you've had a chance to listen, if you be so kind.:righton:

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Both albums I picked up were mastered by Tim Young. I am at work now, and I may not have optimal listening conditions until later. Right now, listening through a computer with headphones. Tupelo Honey may sound a little better to the Polydor remaster. It does sound a little loud, but that may be this computer. Does not sound very warm.

9. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

10. Clarkophile

Thank you for posting that. Nice to see Van still spouting off comments like this:

11. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Yeah, he may be a cranky old fart, but he's my kinda cranky old fart.

Tim

12. Clarkophile

Agreed. The end of the world will be upon us the day George Ivan Morrison says words to the effect of "This upcoming Greatest Hits Tour is a chance for me to give something special back to all of my long-time fans..."

13. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I finally got to see Van this spring and got to hear Brown Eyed Girl, Wild Night, and Gloria to end the show.

I would rather have had the last 15 or so minutes been on 3 of the countless better songs he has recorded.

The concert length overall was not exactly of a Springsteen level either....

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Try not to dampen my enthusiasm :) Van will be here in March and I'm feeling compelled to pony up the exhorbitant ticket price. I've never had an opportunity to see him before.

15. DJ WILBUR

DO NOT MISS HIM.

16. Clarkophile

I really don't want a Greatest Hits tour per se, but having never seen Van, I would have thought it would be something to brag about, tell the grandchildren about: "I got to see Van Morrison perform 'Brown Eyed Girl.'"

We'll not always have that privilege.

17. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

It's Too Late To Stop Now - remaster is loud. A little harsh. Could be worse I suppose.

Only have vinyl to compare it with and the LP wins.

18. Clarkophile

Uh-oh.

Thanks for the review though.

19. DJ WILBUR

well they HAD to make it louder than the last remaster I suppose....

I need this one on vinyl.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm happy with the old remasters - I definitely will not buy the new pressings again.

21. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

According to a poster in another thread, engineers at Metropolis are doing the remastering. Metroplis is the same group that did the previous Polydor remasters which already tended toward the bright and harsh, so I would not necessarily expect different results the second time around :shake:

On the plus side, may be this will free up some old WBs in the used market :thumbsup:

22. butch

butch Senior Member

Van the Man live is something else,I've been underwhelmed with his live performances.He defines the word loose when he plays live!Supposedly he doesn't particularly care for the touring/live act part of his career.It is fun to see the Man in action,but don't be prepared to be blown away.................

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I've seen him a few times and when he is really "on" he can be absolutely transcendent. It is a roll of the dice, hopefully you catch him on one of those magic nights.:righton:

24. DJ WILBUR

hey man, I've seen most of his NYC area shows since 88 or so. what shows let you down?

25. Clarkophile

Hey Tim, be sure to write some thoughts about A Sense of Wonder when you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.