All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Listened to the official Orangerie Session release today. Very nice.
    But could it be that Thorsten has a tendency to soften the edges? I cannot fully point to some evidence, would need to relisten and compare, it is just a gut feeling. Maybe the missing cut up voices, which I happen to enjoy quite a bit.

I am not in for deep listening at the moment, but anyway, I do enjoy the Orangerie session for what it is. Quite nice.

Though ... I do wish they'd play much more with bass and sub bass sounds, because ... that is giving me the tingles.
    But that is just me, and quite obviously not a TD thing.

Just listen to Daft Punk's Solar Sailor ... my favourite and very clever employment of sub bass. That track just keeps on being just ... great for me.
    I guess that may be a toolset that is just not TD.

Btw, the Krake session. Without checking the files in a DAW, the ReMaster is noticeably louder. And I'd say, if I ignore what I have heard of the live audience recording, it also is magnificent. The Intro, with the dissonances, the rain field recording, then the plugged violin with the howlubg synth in the background and ... some bass drone ... wow, just wow. And it keeps on building up tge beauty when the sequences come in. Ok, in this case I do not like the distorted part that finishes at about 08:00, but I don't care, as the piece keeps on building.
    beautifully.
    That part before and the part after 13:00 ...beauty.
    Then the critical part at 15, the beats. I think they could be louder for more dry club feeling, I feel that this aspect has been mixed out a bit by emphasising more the whole thing instead of the beats and nostalgic 80s sequencer runs are less dry and prominent, with added lifeliness of those very quick runs ... even though that (temporary) dryness would suit them great, the mix seems to go more towardss the typical band sound, but those elements are still there (esp. if you listen loud) and it still does build, up until around 22, until Hoshiko comes in to change everything into the dreamy outro, with a great and lifely piano sequence.

I don't know if Krake is more than a ReMaster to increase the volume and I guess not, but if I listen to it as independently as I am able to ... it ... is ... sublime. Wonderful. A progression compared to the ones before, and ... both Krake and Orangerie sound a lot like they have grown together again as a changed musical unit, and what an exciting unit.

One thing is sure:
    Tangerine Dream right now do benefit from being listened to loud and with a bassy system. I feel like that really does bring the music to live, and now relistening again to Kraken ... it feels like almost a different recording that has quite a bit of what I missed above.

Saying that I accept that the cut ups will not appear on official releases

Oh, wow, ... that pumping at around Krake 21:00 ... just WOW!

So ... in short:
    I now love them both, and do pump up the volume.

... and did I mention how much I love the Kraken intro with it's disharmonic (clusters?), the violin, the rain ...

... and ...
    let me say it again ... listen loud.

:)

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Still looking for Hades , bummer what they sell for and many still sealed.
    Despise Flippers. Who buys the dang box and doesn't open it ?
    Looks like Dream is passing by my town.
    That sucks.
    Tried Stratosfear at 25rpm.
    You wouldn't think it would make a difference but damn if it don't change the vibe. Pretty neat.
    Love that last sequence. Ratchet.

Csquare4x and pory like this.
  3. pory

pory Forum Resident

I would love if they reissued it again. But I’m unsure that’s ever likely. :cry: A local record store has a copy of Pilots of Purple Twilight for sale, but I couldn’t ever afford it. :shake: Hopefully someday when I can it’s still there.

4. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Yea it’s a shame the price on Pilots box set is high. I looked around for the last 2 years until @tdcrjeff contacted me a month plus on his unopened box set. A very reasonable price indeed. Thx to Jeff for this set. It’s still sitting next to my system waiting to be opened and explored. I’m waiting for the right time to explore the box.

pory, tdcrjeff and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  5. hEARt PhoniX

It's rich on discoveries for me, and I am still not through, taking my time. There is no need to rush.
    As I am still new I prefer getting reasonably acquainted to the core before exploring the bonus, that increases my appreciation as it sets another perspective than just rushing through everything all at once.

The Hades box means a lot to me, it opened the TD floodgates for me, as it offers so much, well presented in a systematical and chronological way, with a nice condensed book ...
    I do wish I could still recommend it to every TD newcomer. I regard it as an essential cornerstone of my TD collection.

Wouter and david gunderman like this.
  6. david gunderman

Nice to hear the appreciation of their music from new fans. I think they have so much more to share from their vaults. And some of us don’t have much time left on this earth. I hope one day soon some of it will be released.

Wouter and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@24db

RE: Silent Green Session (Berlin 22) / BC

... they have now added the "initial" version (closer to the Youtube one) - IMHO the cranking up of all the dials on the now-renamed "remastered version" flattened out all the details and subtleties... a bulldozer of a remastering !! At least that's what I think ...:) ! Anyway, 3 versions to enjoy depending on the mood, I suppose!

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  8. hEARt PhoniX

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - Original Motion PIcture Soundtrack CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream

Heads up for whoever may be interested, the Soundtrack Catch Me If You Can is now awailable for download separately from the physical release.

For anyone new to this and considering purchasing Legend, pay attention to the blurb:

The original TD score is officially OOP at the moment.

The history of the Legend soundtrack is ... complicated.
    Voices In The Net - Legend

Csquare4x and david gunderman like this.
  9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

10. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Hoshiko Yamane meets Tatsuya Yoshida (drums) Feb 2023

... Yamane goes avant-Jazz (!)
    Tatsuya Yoshida is a fab musician who has collaborated a lot with Richard Pinhas - they produced some brilliant albums together. ie. Process and Reality. Thought it might be a good idea to put it in the thread, might be the beginning of an interesting collaboration.

[​IMG]

Her mini-tour of Japan in February was brief but clearly creatively intense!

11. Csquare4x

Csquare4x Well-Known Member

I have listened to the 25RPM a few times, I think it has it's merits. Definitely, as you say, a totally different vibe.

12. Csquare4x

Yeah, I was a sucker for the Legend soundtrack when it was re-released...I thought it was a remaster of the original. When I listened to it, it wasn't right. Only then did I realize it was a cover. It's not a bad cover, but it isn't TD. And I actually have the original and thought I was getting a "remaster" like the Miracle Mile reissue. Call me disappointed.

Regarding "Catch Me If You Can", I think that was kinda bottom of the barrel for their soundtrack releases. Not much at all interesting in my opinion.

Jaar21 likes this.
  13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Legend / Orange Records

Got this supposedly longer version but definitely not recommended. The first version (Varese Sarabande) is for the time being and as far as I know the one to get. Great soundtrack to round off the Schmoelling period.

[​IMG]

From: What versions of the LEGEND score are available on CD, Record, or Cassette? (figmentfly.com)

1 - Prologue - NEW! From the opening of the film.
    2 - Main Titles - (Opening)
    3 - Nell's Cottage - (Cottage)
    4 - The Unicorns - (Unicorn Theme)
    5 - Goblin's Theme - (Goblins)
    6 - The Gump Appears / A Toast To Love - (Fairies)
    7 - Entrance to the Underworld / Lily Charmed - (Blue Room)
    8 - The Dance - (The Dance)
    9 - The Lord of Darkness - (Darkness)
    10 - Kitchen Fight - (The Kitchen/...)
    11 - Jack the Champion - (.../Unicorn Theme)
    12 - Jack Versus Darkness - I think this is someof the music found when Jack fights Darkness - can anyone confirm this?
    13 - Unicorn Theme - Loved By the Sun and end credits without the Jon Anderson vocals
    14 - Unicorn Saga - Extra Legend music but I'm not sure from where in the film
    15 - United Goblin Parade - This sone has nothing to do with LEGEND and was from a 1996 Tangerine Dream CD release
    16 - Loved by the Sun - (Loved By The Sun)
    17 - The Unicorn Song - Sung by Susan Pawlitzki (see bootleg above)
    18 - Is You Love Strong Enough? - (Is Your Love Strong Enough?)
    19 - Princess Lily's Chant - This is from the Goldsmith LEGEND soundtrack and it is all of Lili's songs together in one piece and it segues into the end credits
    20 - Autumn - This song has nothing to do with LEGEND - I don't know where this track is from. ORCD-20011986

Varese Sarabande:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    Norco74 and Csquare4x like this.
  14. Csquare4x

I was a late-comer to the UK & Ireland Bootleg Box Set...just received a few days ago and one full listen through. So pardon me for commenting on an old thread, but I have been reading comments and reviews.

The Cambrigde Corn Exchange Session is my favorite so far. I was captured and held the entire session. This is TD for TD's sake. This is how it is done!

hEARt PhoniX and GordonM like this.
  15. 24db

24db Forum Resident

glad you liked it, it was almost ruined in the hall as the Corn Exchange's PA system kept cutting out. TD's sound guy, Claus was mortified

Csquare4x likes this.
  16. hEARt PhoniX

Listening to music and exploring art, especually with regards to the vast, diverse and multi-angled TD multiverse past and present is not a linear process. That would be frightening.

Csquare4x likes this.
  17. Csquare4x

No idea from the excellent sounding CD, but I guess that was a bit of a downer in person, Andy. Still, besides a few cursory listens to the recent bandcamp releases, this is really my first deep dive into Frick sessions. I enjoyed Ulrich's sessions, but the box set shows an evolution in their improvisation to another level. Every one of these UK/Ireland sessions are choice. Cambridge takes the win (on CD)!

I will be seeing them when they blow through Atlanta with my 25yo son this fall and I am more than stoked. He is as excited as me. He saw them on the cruise in 2014 and had a chance to speak to Edgar and Q for a few minutes and has been smitten since.

18. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Wouldn't affect the recording as Thorsten records everything into 2 x 32-channel hard-disk recorders (controlled by two iPads for virtual mixing, but they've just upgraded to a proper mixer on stage). It was only the PA dropping out, post the mixer. Thorsten told me he hasn't made his mind up about what gear to bring, but it's unlikely they can bring all of their normal live gear, due to the costs of transportation (2 or 3 US gigs would be fine, but not 18)

I think losing Ulrich and gaining Paul is a bit of a nil-sum for me (something was lost, but a lot has been gained. Paul is certainly a better keyboard player, and his timing is amazing).

I hope you enjoy the show (ticket sales seem sluggish so far in Atlanta - zero adverting of the tour so far?), let's hope that picks up so there's some atmosphere in the hall).

TheOrangeSauce likes this.
  19. Csquare4x

Unfortunately, I understand...I am sure they will make it work. I am just glad to see them make the effort to do a decent NA tour. I have debated flying over to your side but with all the pandemic crap going on the last few years, I haven't made the leap yet, so it was nice to see them coming here. I am debating trying to catch a few more shows, just haven't decided yet. Listening to the wonderful UK Sessions is swaying me!

Ulrich's touch is indeed missed, but I agree, Paul adds something that makes these sessions stand above the previous for me. Maybe it's the more edgy nature? Whatever, it is sitting well.

Honestly have seen no advertising. The only way I knew about the tour was seeing your posts here. And the Center Stage is without a doubt the best small venue in possibly the entire southeast US. Seated and every seat is fantastic. I hope the sales pick up a bit too! Promotion would help big time.

20. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Actually, it was Ulrich that was doing the rather extreme/edgy sequencing on some of the session-end sections, where he was overloading his mixing desk producing some very loud distortion and tuned feedback. TD has also lost the ability to extend tracks in real-time using Ableton (mind you perhaps this is better for their lighting and video guys).

check out Ulrich at the end of this session

On the plus side, Paul is now doing a lot more melodic stuff and obvious live playing, his memotron work is outstanding, although to my ears his choice of timbres on his vintage Roland Juno-106 can get very cheesy. I think he needs another synth on stage.

I'm not surprised about the advertising and lack of. It's sad you have to spot a post from me to know something is going on. Gone of the days of putting something on a single website or Facebook page and hoping that is enough. TD hasn't had a successful tour of the States (ie not bankrupting themselves) in 31 years. The promoter/s really needs to put the effort in. TD really could do with a part-time internet promoter - pumping out new content across many platforms - TD fans do themselves no favours by their lack of promotion or presence on twitter etc. Edgar at least made the effort to go to the States ahead of tours to try and drum up some interest and do newspaper and radio interviews. But by 2012 the game was over, and US fans had drifted off - and coupled with the worst planned tour and again almost zero advertising, TD were lucky to come out of it anywhere solvent, especially given the size of the band at the time.

An anecdote for you - I was at one of the recent UK shows (I was lucky enough to attend seven during the tour). I won't mention the venue or promoter (but I will say it wasn't TD's German promoter). I was backstage after the show and the promoter was over the moon by how well it had gone, but I instead thought "Were you at the same gig as me?' The hall was about 30% -50% full at best and there had literally been no advertising, not even a poster outside the venue, and there they were patting themselves on the back - I would have complained but I was eating some of the rider ;).

It's always sad to meet people days or weeks after a tour and they aren't even aware that TD was playing. I guess that was always the way when you had to catch an advert in a magazine or newspaper, but you would have thought things would improve. Perhaps I'm naive? ;)

If you were going to attend any TD show (at the moment) I'd make the London Palladium show. But things are expensive I know.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    GordonM and david gunderman like this.
  21. david gunderman

No advertising here on the west coast. Didn’t even know about the LAWeekly.com spread. Let’s hope that will change before the dates get closer. I haven’t bought tickets for the LA show yet. I haven’t decided if I want to stand up for 2 hrs. And if there’s an opening act that would be 4hrs if standing. I think the Vancouver link shows an opening band. So I’m wondering if they’ll have an opening band for each gig.

22. david gunderman

I’ve meet many people/strangers that they LD me that they didn’t know TD still existed. They thought they were long gone. There is no airplay except for some shows like Alien Air Music, Stars End,etc. and those who are into that music. I get excited when Chuck Van Zyl has TD on his show. But still nothing from the Sessions Box set.

23. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I distinctly remember the last time I heard TD on regular radio - "Yucatan" on the local jazz station back in college. At this point TD was in the Seattle Years. Anyway, I called the DJ to thank him for playing the track. He asked if the band was still together! I guess even radio people aren't always in the loop.

Regards,
    Dave

24. 24db

24db Forum Resident

TD gets regularly played on U.S college radio, it's just the mainstream that ignores them. Here in the UK they have been played dozens of times on BBC Radio 6

klockwerk likes this.
  25. hEARt PhoniX

That Copenhagen session is amazing.
    I have not come across that one before.
    Thank you.