What equipment might you buy or sell in 2023?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I need to upgrade one power cable and will go with the Audio Sensibility Statement this month. For now, that'll be it, my gear ssoundssuper good.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Pretty sure you're aware of the heat that more output tubes produce and can be a seasonal choice since summer is just around the corner. Although they sound really good.
    BTW: Getting my new integrated recording amp building now. This is perfect timing. My old 1980's Sony is down to its last knees. Every time I fire it up now the capacitor are fire cracking now. I have to warm up the amp for 35 minutes before I start recording something. Not good news.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Having one of those moments of should I buy something just because it’s at an amazing price, even if I wasn’t shopping for it. It’s a Jena labs power conditioner at a price I’ll never see one at again, but I’m currently using only one source (turntable,) and have my integrated and phono stage just direct into the wall.

Classic Car Guy and Oddiofyl like this.
  4. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I bought the Audio Sensibility Statement PC for my amp. Wonderful upgrade to the system. In addition to improvement across the board, its black background sounds like I added a power conditioner.

5. FuzzyNightmares

Was too noncommittal. Someone got a brand new Jena lab’s sequoia for $1000.

6. styler

styler Senior Member

just bought perlisten s5t. will soon sell harbeth shl5+

may buy a new streamer this year. currently using a roon nucleus+

mreeter and Oddiofyl like this.
  7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I missed this post when you first made it. My SC-2 Mini is the BEST purchase I have ever made for my system in the 50 years I have been doing this. I got back into vinyl in 2017 after a 30 year absence. The whole reason I got out of vinyl and into CDs was I HATED, hated, hated clicks and pops. The Sugar Cube solved that problem on LPs in good shape. It is not a miracle worker though. Most VG+ LPs play perfectly, even some VG titles. With the right settings you will never hear it in action.

Definitely worth hearing it in action at a dealer or order from Music Direct where you get a 60 guarantee. Be warned the SC is in short supply so if ordering from Music Direct, be ready to pounce. They will get a few in and with 24-48 hours they will go back out of stock.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  8. Teraphoto

Teraphoto Forum Resident

I had no plan to upgrade or anyway to buy any equipment but last week my cartridge died from a Swiffer attack by my wife.....:shake: so, definitely, I think I'll buy a new cartridge.
    Paolo

9. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I would definitely like a toy like the Sugar Cube. I just got back into vinyl so there are a few other things first like a record cleaning machine and of course a better cartridge down the road

Once my collection is large enough to warrant one I’m sure I will add one.
    I’m sure it is better and much more transparent than my old Burwen Research click and pop eliminator

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Hudson

Hudson Forum Resident

Lumin x1 bought, Sony HAPZ1ES sold.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As it's been at least a decade since I last thinned out the record decks I think it's more than time, so far I've earmarked five or six Thorens TD-150/60s that can go, I've even spoken to someone who is keen on parting them out, might get rid of the couple of SME 3009s I have, though I always regret not having any around so may decide to keep them.

Mike-48 likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Surprisingly I got a very small refund. I been wanting to buy this album in UK for months now. I end up paying off my credit card instead. :mad:
    besides that I bought this a week earlier for I need it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.
  13. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

A week ago, I ordered the newer Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary; today FedEx says it will be delivered tomorrow. So it only took 1 week from China to the US, wow!
    The newer Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary (more power, better firmware, and i2s input) which reviewers say sounds even more realistic than the original Denafrips Ares II. I'm looking forward to hearing the Denafrips (R2R technology) compared to Delta-sigma chip based from ESS Sabre (I have the Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro).
    Manual of improved features of the Ares II 12th over the original Ares II: https://www.denafrips.com/_files/ugd/4b933e_5294f14f968b490e965c9aed11f59c85.pdf

I do NOT recommend my Denon X3700H with an unknown dac that is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.
    I do NOT recommend my Emotiva BasX-A3 amplifier because it is not dynamic and sounds terrible for 2-channels music.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

Yep I have several Delta-sigma DACs so I wanted to try an R2R, so a week ago I ordered the Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary (more power, better firmware, and i2s input); today FedEx says it will be delivered tomorrow. So it only took 1 week from China to the US, wow!

I'm coming from these DACs: Topping E50, Topping E70, Arcam AVR5 receiver that has the ESS Sabre 9026Pro

I'll be connecting my chain as: Apple Music lossless and hi-res lossless --> iPhone 12 Pro Max -> Apple lightning to USB camera adapter --> usb into the Denafrips --> RCA into my Arcam AVR5 receiver.

15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I realize that several times in this thread I said I was done buying gear. I lied . Anytime I write something like that, it is probably not true.

Friday I ordered a pair of Omega Super Alnico Monitors .....

jonwoody and FuzzyNightmares like this.
  16. FuzzyNightmares

Yeah I need to stop lying to myself too haha.

I didn’t buy that Jena labs sapling power conditioner, though I should have, but I’ll be actually doing a consult with the folks from Jena labs for potential bartering, so that should be fun.

I’m very casually shopping my triode lab 2a3 evo locally for a “make me sell this” price after my wife shared some of her thoughts about the difficulties/stress of having “all those fragile lightbulbs” where our little man can easily reach them. Considering going SS with something from yamaha, Accuphase, or Luxman, or an enclosed tube amp like the audio note oto se, or leben cs300xs. Will see what happens.

Still waiting on custom cans to finish up with my grados. They aren’t very responsive to emails, but enough people swear by them that I’ll just be patient, but it’s tough when I can’t play music on my system with the little man sleeping in the room adjacent now.

jonwoody likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

Those power supply / conditioner are really expensive and can be a must too. The only thing Ive done and using now is a high caliber power regulator, 20A power block, 20A power outlet and re-wired heavy duty home electrical lines. Right now its as good as it gets but I will still get an excellent conditioner when I have the extra money.

18. Classic Car Guy

I bought 2 of these, I totally stripped everything inside including all wirings and switch. I replaced the outlets with Leviton 20A high grade, AC prong and 12A wires. On my next project is a master switch and conditioner. Trying to figure out what switch to get.

[​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

The Leben is supposed to be a great amp. I like those new Luxman, they are nice too.... Are you sure a tall audio rack isn't all you need ? I think you might miss those 2a3 ..... I always had open tube gear around. I just taught my kids it was HOT like a stove and would burn them. Never a problem.

Although when they were teens one of them snapped the cantilever off a new $300 cartridge.... neither one owned up to that so I did have a 10 year vinyl hiatus. Kids.... they are the best ! I can look back at that and laugh now , both turned out to be great kids.

jonwoody likes this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

No backspine :laugh:!

jonwoody likes this.
  21. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Well I just did some pretty major moves.

Purchased a pair of Kef LS60 Wireless powered speakers. They have now replaced a McIntosh MA8900 (sold) and Klipsch Forte IV (selling).

I also got into Roon a few weeks ago so I purchased a new Mac Mini to be the server.

Only other purchases I foresee this year are maybe a Parks Audio Puffin phono pre when they become available again. And perhaps a new phono cart at some point.

I think the Puffin might be perfect for my new speakers seeing as how they are already “digital”.

jonwoody and rofffe like this.
  22. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Its for a second system, so thats ok , right ?

jonwoody likes this.
  23. HautBrion

HautBrion Forum Resident

Trying to simplify my system in retirement. Sell my old magnum dynalab tuner as I only use it for its dac functionality. Buy an integrated streamer/dac, likely auralic, lumin, then sell the BlueSound node. Might sell my old YBA CD player as it has been in storage for years. I also question my need to keep multiple sets of speakers and a hi-end turntable as they are rarely used.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. FuzzyNightmares

Yeah I was in the midst of agreeing to purchase one for $1000, brand new, supposedly from the individual who builds the chassis for them, when he told me it sold. Wish I hadn’t drug my feet and just purchased it as soon as I saw it, because I’m sure I’ll have to do a fair amount of work with them to actually get one lol. Will be interesting to see how the bartering process goes with them.

I’m sure I would miss the 2a3’s, but even if I change it doesn’t mean it has to be forever.. I think for my wife it was the fact that I went and spent a considerable amount on a hobby just for myself, when she feels like she doesn’t have time for a hobby with all of the behind the scenes things she does to help our family. Pair that with the fact that my equipment is in a shared space, there’s speakers on stands, there’s no baby proofing on the media consoles, then add in the added fragile factor of exposed glass, and she admitted there’s some resentment with that amplifier in particular. She didn’t understand why I wanted to switch from the Sugden I already had, then added a bunch of things a toddler could accidentally break and injure himself on. I get it. And it’s not going to end anytime soon with baby two due in July. Maybe someday I’ll have a dedicated listening space, then equipment won’t matter as much, plus kids will be older, but that’s not the situation I’m in right now. We will see, someone has to agree to my asking price on Craigslist first haha.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    jonwoody likes this.
  25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I can identify with that . Congrats on baby #2... honestly thats what its all about.

jonwoody and FuzzyNightmares like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.