Sony UBPX 700 or 800/M2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Punman, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Punman

Punman Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Blu-ray player quit working; it also was used for playing my CDs. I am debating between the Sony 700 and 800/M2 model. My old player did not play SACDs. I want something that plays SACD (even though at the moment only have one SACD). I know both of these can handle SACD. I don't have any 4K Blu-ray disks at the moment but figure I might as well get that capability while I am at it.

My speaker system is set up for 5.1 and the TV 4k.

I see little difference between the 700 and 800/M2. With a Black Friday sale coming up, both are on sale but the 700 is cheaper by $70 Canadian (about $52 U.S.). I can afford to pay the little extra but do not really understand what I am benefitting by the 800 model.

2. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

DVDA i believe

3. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

DVD-A and, I think, slightly better construction quality for the 800.

Galley likes this.
  4. Definitely the UBP-X800M2 but I would be surprised if you see a Black Friday deal on it.

UBP-X700 Specifications | Sony USA

UBP-X800M2 Specifications | Sony USA

Notice the weight difference for starters regarding build quality. I own the previous UBP-X800 but neither of the players currently available, the 800 has been rock solid. The UBP-X800M2 is a universal player, the UBP-X700 is not.

5. Punman

Is there much music out there on DVD Audio or is it scarcer than SACD?

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Plenty on the used market.

Also note that both players require HDMI cables to play the hi res layers.

7. Punman

Appreciating the feedback so far. I am ordering the UBP-X800M2.

8. Bruce_Wayne

Bruce_Wayne Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about picking up the UPB-X800M2 as well. Anyone using these with an I2S converter for SACD playback through an external dac? Seems like a great budget choice if it’s capable. I have a Topping E50 dac on the way and am looking for a cd player to pair with it but SACD capability would be a plus just to mess around with.

9. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Plus the 800 is a full width component …. the 700 is not. I used the original 800 for many years before it finally became unresponsive. Bought the 800M2 to replace it.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  10. greasepaint

greasepaint Loser's game.

Have an 800 M2 and have really enjoyed it. Would like to have a back up in my hip pocket due to concerns about continued availability. Run it with a Yamaha AVR and it does play SACDs as well as DVD-As. It can be a bit "skittish" in that it occasionally needs to be reset by unplugging and powering back up. Fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into a brick, but it has been fairly reliable for a couple of years save for the above concern.

11. ToLearn

ToLearn New Member

I am running the digital output of my Sony X800 M2 to a DACMagic DAC. DAC goes to my NAD 326BEE input via RCA cables.

So if I were to insert an SACD disc, no SACD/Hi Res this way? I would need an ampilifer with an HDMI input?

12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Correct, as you can’t run DSD through an optical cable.

13. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I ran a Sony UBP-x700 HDMI output to an HDMI add-embedded.
    Which output both DoP and I2S.
    I tried the I2S to external DAC, but it was a bit noisy.
    Some units are better than others.
    I must not have gotten a good unit for I2S.
    But, I am using DoP output and that has been great.

14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Have just bought one of these to upgrade my previous Sony BD and it’s great so far for BD. But it won’t see my Synology NAS and play files. This sort of thing is beyond frustrating. How is this stuff so hard?

15. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I bought a region free X800M2 last year and it has worked flawlessly so far. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the remote is not backlit … I do like the smaller size of the remote though.

John Lloyd likes this.
  16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I plan to buy a second one next time it hits $299CDN (or lower).
    Cheap insurance

17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

At least yesterday they had some on amazon at 249 US, B&H had them too but they no longer ship those players to Australia, Canada might be different. I don't think you'll ever find them any lower than that again.

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

They go down to $349CDN (=$258USD) quite often.
    London Drugs has it at that price right now, Best Buy too.
    $299CDN (=$221USD) maybe once a year.
    I paid $248CDN at Costco online a couple of years ago, it hasn’t been that low since. In fact Costco Canada doesn’t list it at all any more. Should have bought two…hindsight.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  19. Uglyversal

I did order one at $249 but postage at least to here was 60 odd dollars US

20. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Yes, anyway, what do I need to set so that this can see my avi and TS files on my DS and play them, any suggestions? Thank you.

21. Con

Con Forum Resident

Will Sony release new Blu-ray players this year to go with their new receivers , anyone know?

Audiowannabee likes this.
  22. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I bought a SONY 800 M2 as a back up to my OPPO 103 so Id have something if and when it dies. Thing is, since I cut the cable cord and stream movies and also now subscribe to APPLE Music FOR hi res/ATMOS, I dont visit my hard media library anymore! I’ve got a feeling that SONY is never going to come out of the brand new un opened box.

23. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yes but the players r welcome n needed for those physical disc's especially when internet is out

Damn u spectrum

24. Uglyversal

With that I can't help you much but I am aware of people suffering similar problems and there might have been threads here but different NAS might require different solution or may have none.
    What I suggest is start your own thread with the right title to attract people who might know and also head on to bluray.com and ask the same in their forum, there would be a great amount of people there that might also be able to help you.

muzzer likes this.
  25. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

I just bought a X800M2.

After doing some testing with my very basic LG875, the Sony clearly beats the LG in terms of sound on most regular cds (spacious soundscape, transparent detailing) . However, when testing my SHM cds, the LG is the winner by a long shot. It's so incredibly frustrating because those SHM discs are the best of my collection and I don't want to hear them sound mediocre.

If you're not looking to play SHM discs. I'd recommend the X800M2. I'm strongly considering returning mine however.