New Turntable Mat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marmil, May 22, 2023.

1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

I need a new mat for my Rega 25. I had been using a VPI cork mat until it started to disintegrate. Then I used an Achromat for a couple of years until it started making sounds like my cartridge was dragging on the record (it wasn't). So right now I'm using nothing which I'm pretty sure is not a good idea. Any thoughts?

2. Dino Villani

Dino Villani Resident Senior Audiophile

Check out Music Directs website, they have a couple on sale, open box..acromat by funk firm. I know you’ve tried them before but they are nice mats. Maybe worth another look. I have one on a vintage arxa and a vpi scout II and have had good luck with how they sound. Other than that, I have had nice luck with Ringmat Development , a little odd and lean but puts the cork where you need it on the record. Also from music direct. Good luck.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Ingenieur likes this.
  3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've been through a few recently trying to find something. I have an acrylic platter, and ended up keeping a Hanenite rubber mat from Japan. It may be too thick (3mm) if you don't have a VTA adjustment or way to raise and lower the tonearm.

Davey likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

I think it is actually 4mm thick so likely won't work well on a Rega with limited room for adjusting tonearm height, but for other users that can use the thickness, the Ultima THT-291 from Tokyo Bouon is a highly recommended mat, the hanenite rubber does seem to avoid most of the normal pitfalls of rubber mats ... Replacement Mat for Technics 1210gr

I like silicone foam (not the normal ones made of silicone solid rubber) for mats so might investigate a Herbies Way Excellent mat in 2mm thickness for a Rega, albeit it is kind of expensive for what you get. I like to support the record with minimal damping, so wool mats work great in that regard when new, but static is a big issue for many users.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    C10, GordonM and Kyhl like this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Folks have different preferences, but Rega recommend that you don’t use mats on their decks, save for the felt ones that come with them.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  6. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

At least with my Thorens TD-147, I replaced the original rubber mat with a Herbie's and I can't say it helped to decrease static or changed the sound any. Nice looking and feeling mat though!

7. flvet

flvet Forum Resident

I like my Origin Live mats. I use one on my Origin Live TT and one on my VPI Classic 1. Very thin (1mm) which may work well on your Rega.

8. Mr. Dean

Mr. Dean Forum Resident

This.
    Check out HiFi Heaven they carry all the colors of the Rega wool mats.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Get a felt mat. All Rega dealers have access to Rega mats, black or in various colors. I encourage you to support your local Rega dealer rather than the usual online suspects.
    - Bill

10. 80smusicsean

80smusicsean Forum Resident

I am giving up on acrylic mats. I have been using cork, but just recently learned about leather mats and felt mats. I don't see anyone recommending leather, though. I feel like leather would provide some benefits of the softness of felt, but also durability.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That would be my next choice besides felt for platters that don't need a lot of damping. The felt is the ultimate isolator, and leather has a similar weight and density, but it is solid unless it has a thick suede and that side is up. With a tough hide side up, I'd say that its surface durometer would be similar to rubber. Another primary advantage to felt is of course cost.
    - Bill

Boltman92124 and 80smusicsean like this.
  12. Mr. Dean

Mr. Dean Forum Resident

I tend to agree but there are those of us that don't have a " local" Rega dealer. Me, being one myself.
    Sometimes the "usual suspects" are quite good and offer great customer service. HiFi Heaven included.
    My last two dealings with them have been outstanding. One with warranty service on a Rega MC cartridge
    and the other involving a trade for a new Rega P8.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

One reason why many people complain about not having a local Hi-Fi dealer or a local record shop is that business has declined for them over the recent years and they had to close shop (not picking on you, just pointing out a trend). I am constantly praised for maintaining my shop despite decreased sales volumes from "the good old days". They have some place to go and pick-up what they need, get advice, and have things repaired. Occasionally, people even buy Hi-Fi gear...
    - Bill

bever70 and Boltman92124 like this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Do you ship some products Bill? Would love to give you some biz out here on the West coast!

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have really cut back on that. Way too much headache and credit card fraud these days. I do sell to people whom I trust and who call to speak with me in person. I always help out in some way and offer a much more personalized service without the BS and traps found elsewhere. You can always PM me to get started on a conversation if you like. I appreciate your interest and kindness.
    -Bill

Boltman92124 likes this.
  16. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

If you have humidity-related static problems, a leather mat can be a good choice. I switched to one for a while, and while it didn't completely remove the static, it was a very noticeable improvement.

80smusicsean likes this.
  17. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I tried an acrylic mat for a while which ended up being a serious dust magnet. I switched it out for a decent rubber mat which I prefer.

18. 80smusicsean

80smusicsean Forum Resident

I bought a red leather slipmat this week. It's a suede leather and is not too unlike felt. Thus far, no static, either. It's got a great softness while still feeling rugged. I am sure this all I'll go with from now on. Acrylic, cork, and rubber in the cabinet forever. ;-)

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Three I'd recommend are the Pro-ject Leather It, the Origin Live Upgrade Platter Mat, and the GEM Dandy R.C.C. All decrease static, and have the least negative impact: IME all mats improve performance in one area while taking away in another; these three were the most balanced when used with a VPI TNT and Classic.

JohnK

20. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Wouldn't a whole house humidifier help with static?

21. Jamison Anderson

Jamison Anderson Forum Resident

For Rega I'd recommend a Teac Washi mat. It's thin like the stock Rega mat, and eliminates any static issues. I run it currently, have a Herbies too, but prefer the Washi

Teac TATS30UNBW Turntable Sheet

ubiknik likes this.
  22. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

23. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

Sure, but their effectiveness in every room can vary, and a mat is a lot cheaper.