Little Rascals Coming To Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Forum Resident

Thanks for your support.

Yes, we are actually putting together the first Our Gang short produced (titled "Our Gang", 1922) from several different sources right now. It is not fully complete but will be the most complete version available by the time we get done.

- David
    ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

2. ClassicFlix

It will definitely be available for some time. I can't imagine it going out of print before next year, although at some point we may discontinue it and release a non-centennial collection down the line without bonus features.

FYI - As we announced today online in our newsletter, the retail price of the BD is going up to $149.99 this spring so don't wait to buy...

NEWSLETTER #5: Meet John Doe, Hopalong Cassidy and More - ClassicFlix

- David

rontoon likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks David! I own the Little Rascals complete set and the first three Volumes of The Little Rascals...I stopped at three when I saw the announcement of the complete set!

ClassicFlix and longdist01 like this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you David @ClassicFlix for the news on continued work on Silent Shorts including earliest Silent Short from various sources to get 'most-complete' available!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    ClassicFlix likes this.
  5. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Hi David, since the first short is not known to be complete, how is it known what is missing and how much? Just curious about this. Your restoration work is sublime!

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

In my estimation, reel 1 exists complete sans opening credits. Reel 2 is not fully intact, but judging by the runtime of the available film, there's probably not a whole lot missing either. Mostly a few original intertitles and a bit of footage here and there. There's a decent amount of unfamiliar scenes from what you might find on Youtube.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    longdist01 and Ken K like this.
  7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I would assume by not being fully intact, that would mean (perhaps damaged) footage was spliced out of the reel?

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

9. Antifrodis

Not to speak for ClassicFlix, but the second reel is spread out across various sources. The source for reel 1 was found a couple years ago.

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Looking forward to some more wonderful releases from @ClassicFlix of the 'Our Gang Silent' era!

Scope J and ClassicFlix like this.
  11. ClassicFlix

That is correct.

And many of the early shorts, but especially #1 OUR GANG, is a major collaborative effort in which we could not produce without the help of private collectors who have spent years or decades collecting Our Gang on 8mm, 9.5mm & 16mm. And they will be appropriately credited on each release.

- David

12. ClassicFlix

Check out this raw scan clip we just posted of CAT, DOG & CO. (1929).

The 87th short in the Our Gang film series and penultimate silent released, it has an original organ track with sounds effects.

Scans on over 60 silent Our Gang shorts (of the surviving 88) have been performed to date and we continue to look for additional material to fill in gaps of missing footage from the scans we already have. It's a time-consuming task, but we hope to have the first release (Volume 1) likely late summer/early fall 2023.

ENJOY!

- David

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

:) Thank you again David @ClassicFlix for the Raw scan of 'Cat, Dog & Co.' and updates on continued research for film elements on Our Gang Silent Shorts release later in 2023!!

ClassicFlix likes this.
  14. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

How many silents were actually made, including the ones that have not survived?

15. Antifrodis

There were 88 silents. 5 are currently considered lost films.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

88 Silent Short, but several are totally lost (4-5 apparently on flammable Nitrate!) I believe David @ClassicFlix stated probably 82 Silents survive today couple are not complete shorts, or cut up to some degree...

17. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

That's actually a good survival rate, given the age and storage conditions of nitrate.

18. Antifrodis

The films presumed lost are Yale Vs. Harvard, Heebee Jeebees, Edison, Marconi & Co, Growing Pains, and The Holy Terror.

As far as some other films in question, the majority of the first Our Gang film survives. A foreign print of School Begins exists at the Museum of Modern Art. The Old Wallop was posted to Youtube a couple years ago. Fair and Muddy was found years ago but hasn't been made publicly available as of yet. Here's a sample of that film to tide you over until ClassicFlix has a chance to work their magic with it.

Ken K and longdist01 like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks again David @ClassicFlix for all hard work that continues on discovering more elements for the Silent Shorts this year!

ClassicFlix and Scope J like this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Is that a young Joe Cobb or Norman Chubby Chaney?

22. Antifrodis

Young Chubby Chaney, old Joe Cobb. There was no old Chubby, as he passed at a young age.

longdist01 and rontoon like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great picture! spent many hours of my childhood watching them...I still enjoy watching the shows...never thought we'd get them on Blu-ray! Thanks David!

longdist01 and ZackyDog like this.
  24. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I know about Chubby's death at a young age. I just though the photo was going for a before and after look and made a mistake

longdist01 likes this.