Could the Beatles have broken more ground and/or pioneered more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myrtonos, May 19, 2023.

1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Innovation? Or novel effects for window dressing on otherwise standard pop numbers?

COBill likes this.
  2. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Restated with gentler language: Would you argue with someone who claimed Seven Nation Army had their favorite bass part?

I would let them think that, because Jack White's guitar effects made it sound like a bass guitar, so I wouldn't care if it wasn't that actual instrument. When one has to look it up online or see photos from the recording session to disprove what something sounds like to the ears, then that sounds like a ticky tack argument. In the case of The Yardbirds, they already had the sitar version in the bag. If they released it then they would have gotten some rock sitar credit, and yet the riff wouldn't have sounded as cool.

PS: odd to discard the influence of a forgotten rock band (with only 2 top 20 UK hits and nothing charting after 1966) but not actually counter the specifics that have been presented. Did David Bowie not write that? Did Bob Dylan and The Clash not sing that? Did Mick Jagger not do that? Did Pete Townshend not "borrow" that? Did Joey Ramone, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Van Morrison, Johnny Rotten, John Lennon (etc) not say that? Apparently not. I'm glad you were able to settle that with one sentence.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, they might have been able to put together 1 more good album, but they were a mostly spent force creatively. They all had some good solo tracks, but nothing that was really groundbreaking after 1971 - there was no Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Who's Next, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall or Some Girls in their future, and their own niche was rapidly filled by similar bands like KISS and ELO that were still hungry and writing catchy tunes.

4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I guess it depends on whether you can hear a "standard pop number" under a song like Strawberry Fields Forever.

no.nine likes this.
  5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

No, that song is definitely psychedelic.

no.nine likes this.
  6. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

OK. Let me try again..,

Digital Hawkeye > Analog Batman

7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:yawn:

8. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Helter Skelter

Ob La Di Ob La Da

DK Pete likes this.
  9. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

The whole thing with The Beatles was the combination that gave results not just 4 times greater, but a **** ton greater.

Lennon's Plastic Ono Band was innovative, but it's a bit stark for the average person.
    McCartney's McCartney was innovative, but it wasn't "meaningful", a little too undone and ragged and seemingly "lightweight".
    Harrison's All Things Must Pass was too overwhelming, great gems plus lots of other stuff.
    Ringo is Ringo.

Abbey Road was all that refined to perfection, with Martin and Emerick....taking the same exact stuff and making it into a perfect diamond.

Look at a track like I Want You (She's So Heavy)....it's almost a piece of nothing at first...a lick....The Beatles together turned it into a masterpiece.

no.nine and Huxley like this.
  10. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Nice try but I don't think either sound like metal or reggae (but that's okay!)

11. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

[​IMG]

12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Obadiah is more like ,Rocksteady

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Maybe Beatles fans could break more ground with a bit of wider listening :)

ARK, zphage, jwoverho and 4 others like this.
  15. Garageflower

Garageflower Turn up the music. Hi as Fi can go.

Ob-bla-di, Ob-bla-da has a Carribean flavour to it, but that's all. It's not reggae.

However, I always felt that there were elements of ska in the two 1964 songs, I Call Your Name and She's a Woman. Of course, I'm not about to claim that The Beatles invented ska, that was obviously something that came from Jamaica. I do wonder though, if they were the first white act to incorporate these elements.

16. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do any reggae cover of that song exist?

17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

In my opinion the band broke up just at the right time with their best album - Abbey Road.
    Too bad Let It Be was released afterwards.

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

No Some Girls in their future? Say it isn't so! Lol.

19. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Forum Resident Thread Starter

@Piiijiii - Why do so many think that 1970 was the right time for them to disband when:

• The break-up came as a shock and the was a lot of demand for a reunion for the rest of John Lennon's lifetime.
    • Plenty of bands, some as successful as the Rolling Stones, U2 and Radiohead, have been together longer. Did of all these become "greatest hits" bands in their first 20 years together?
    • What neither the Beatles nor any other band explored in the 1960s or any earlier has been explored by other bands in the 1970s and even later.

20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I think Abbey Road is a perfect farewell album with it's golden, dreamy sound and harmonies.
    Released near the end of the 60s with promises for the next decade they didn't have to fulfil.
    And (apart from Her Majesty) with the perfect lyrical end ("And in the end...")
    I'm also a big fan of the first McCartney and Lennon solo albums and don't miss The Beatles in that era.
    Of course that's no answer to the "breaking ground" topic of that thread. They did a lot of that but it's also often exaggerated ... especially here in this forum.

21. Yeah, they could have been the Wyld Stallions of their day.

22. NightGoatToCairo

Post of the year?

ARK, troggy and onlyconnect like this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Let it Be was a bit of a mess but it added some good tunes to the catalogue and some insight into their demise. No real harm done. When we all knew Abbey Road was their true final album, it all made sense.

Piiijiii and notesfrom like this.
  24. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

For a certain segment of the forum, perhaps. ;)

25. NightGoatToCairo

For the majority, I would say :agree: