Home Listening System. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, May 23, 2023.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a unique opportunity. During my divorce, I let my ex have all the furnishings. So I have nothing. I get to start with a blank slate.

I'd like a fairly nice home listening system. My listening library is 100% lossless digital. HiRes if it's available. But always the best mastered version I can find. Previously, I used my home recording studio as my primary listening environment. But I sold off my studio gear last year.

So I need some sort of digital front end, enough clean power, and some really great (to the extent I can afford them) speakers. For reference, my favorite (non-studio monitor) speakers I've owned was a pair of Mission 2-ways. I paired those with a Yamaha sub. But this was 30+ years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed.

As far as speakers go, I look for lots of warm detail, great soundstage. Nice frequency extensions at both ends. But musical. I'd rather not have gobs of bass fogging up the low mids. Revealing, but can also handle less than perfect source decently well (the Missions were crazy good at that for the time).

Budget? $1K easy; $2K probably. Upwards of that, a piece of gear would really have to call my name. $5K probably a realistic drop dead upper limit.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Don’t get remarried.

audiomaniac, gd0, jonwoody and 15 others like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's a joke here but I also don't want to get the OP mad. :p

jonwoody and Uglyversal like this.
  4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

@Atmospheric...I just looked on Craigs List Eugene. Treasure trove. Klipsch Heresey, KG4 speakers, Rotel receiver. Get a used Schiit Bifrost2 and Bluesound Node and you are all in for about $1800.
    Good times.

JeffMo, woody, Djohm and 2 others like this.
  5. Atmospheric

Great info. Mucus grassy ass.

I probably don't want a receiver for a power source. Even back in the 1970s, I never listened to radio in my home (car only). I just find integrated amps more aesthetically pleasing than looking at a tuner I'll never use. I see that Sonus has a 125WPC power amp/connectivity hub. Probably underpowered for Klipsch.

I suppose if I buy speakers used at a good price that I can try a few to see what calls my name and not get hurt too badly on each flip.

6. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Let your room dictate what the best speakers should be and then get the amp that works best for those speakers.

starting with an empty room and building around a pair of speakers is really an ideal position to be in when shopping for equipment. The first thing to consider is the size of the room, how far you will sit from the speakers and if you have enough room to pull the speakers away from the wall. Providing these details will Get you much better recommendations

small speakers in a big room or big speakers in a small room are both bad ideas, generally speaking.

if you are looking for a new source, amp and speakers for $2,000, it’s really not a long list of good options. Buy used and things start to open up quite a bit.

gd0, jonwoody, jusbe and 2 others like this.
  7. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

If you want all in one - Kef LS-60. It is all you need - streamer, DAC, amplifier and speakers. I see AccessoriesForLess have them for $5500.

mds and Spooky like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ewwwwww...

jonwoody and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

@Atmospheric...Klipsch heritage are very efficient speakers. Low power tube amps drive them fine. For about $200 or less an AVR can get you started listening to music, giving you time to hunt down what you really want. You can sell it on for what you paid, or keep it as a start to a secondary system.

Atmospheric likes this.
  10. Atmospheric

That seller in Eugene CL apparently refurbs speakers to factory specs. I'm gonna connect with him and audition what he has for sale (including the Klipschs). Thanks again for pointing me in that direction. I should have thought of it first.

jonwoody, jusbe, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

I recently got myself a pair and am very impressed with them.

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

What did you have prior?

13. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Klipsch Forte IV paired with a McIntosh MA8900. Sounded fantastic too. Just wanted a change and was craving more soundstage width/depth/holographic imaging. Which I got.

jonwoody and Helom like this.
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

What's gonna be your choice of source? Hopefully not vinyl!

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I agree that if you like the sound of the particular model you choose, an all-in-one system like the active KEFs has some advantages in cost, engineering, and convenience.

16. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The first place to consider are Mission speakers of today. If you know you like something then start with that something. Mission is still going strong and has re-released its famed 770 speakers. And the price includes the stands. They've always seemed a bit underrated.

Mission 770 – Mission

jonwoody and Atmospheric like this.
  17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

[​IMG]

18. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Want something simple? Try the new Yamaha RN2000a (the RN803 is anffordable annd still decent sounding) and get a pair of decent speakers like say the KEF LS50a Meta and a sub from perhaps SVS. Then a streaming service sub. Settled.

Helom and mreeter like this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

That tends to be what you get when you make a switch to objectively good performance IME, much to the dismay of some.

The Pinhead and Spooky like this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

Closer to @Atmospheric's budget would be the Kef LS50 Meta wireless II speakers. They'll do everything the OP needs, and sound wonderful.

jonwoody, MGW, Spooky and 3 others like this.
  21. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

Rotel A11 amp--I just bought one for my musician son, it's excellent for the money. B&W 700 series speakers

Atmospheric likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:D

jonwoody likes this.
  23. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

:laugh: Ahhh auto-correct. That was a particularly funny "correction". I'll assume it was intended as "muchas gracias".

jonwoody and The Pinhead like this.
  24. Atmospheric

Any experience with Rotel DACs? I notice the A12 includes a DAC along with a bit more wattage for another $200.

25. Atmospheric

You assume facts not in evidence ;-)

jonwoody, jusbe, timind and 1 other person like this.