Vintage Media Grading (VMG) -- Vinyl records. Is this a step too far?!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BornToBoogie, May 25, 2023.

1. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vintage Media Grading

I took this from a marketplace discussions thread.
    Thought it deserved a wider audience.
    This new service looks bizarre to me but wondered what others thought.
    Anyone use them?

2. Can't blame them for trying. They are too expensive for most people's collections, and they have no appraisal credibility for valuable collections. I am sure it is someone with a desk job that always had a dream about working with records or music.

3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

With the "slabbing" of currency, coins, baseball cards, etc.,etc. being a semi-big deal, this isn't a big surprise.
    I'm guessing they going for the folks that are only buying to flip and have little interest in the music.
    If the grade is dependent on the sealed package, you can't play it and keep that grade.

Edit- Blockchain and N.F.T'S are involved.. this is pure genius.

Aftermath, mBen989, fretter and 5 others like this.
  4. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Records are meant to be played. You can always frame the jacket without slabbing it.

Big Blue, EddieT, Eric242 and 3 others like this.
  5. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

They should offer this as a 2-for-1 service when you sign up to have your body cryogenically frozen. I'm planning on having all my vinyl done, then, one day in the distant future, the newly thawed out me, and Walt Disney's head, are going to have a listening party.

6. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cheers. That made me laugh!

cowboy72 and Halfwit like this.
  7. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Crazy that their “8” grade = “EX” = can have scratches that are deep enough to feel by touch.

Yikes. I guess I’m picky. And I guess the vast majority of my collection is all 9’s and 10’s.

8. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

It's infuriating because it fetishizes the hobby into one where records are treated like stock portfolio. Very telling of a vinyl bubble similar to the comics on in the 90's.

9. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

Is this the same company that seal up your vintage comics and 1980's video games? It renders the item (a record in this case) with no purpose, other than a form of currency.

Now then, it could be argued that the antiques and art trade works the same way. But a painting, ornament, furniture etc still retains it's initial purpose. Sealing up a vinyl record removes all purpose other than future financial gain.

10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

This has already happened. All this company is doing is exploiting an angle. When stuff like this happens on a large scale, it usually busts the market, and prices drop.

Farmer Mike, Big Blue and Texado like this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

They did this with comic books and I find it insane how it's applied to everything and anything regardless of actual value (and then of course 'adds' to the value or price put on it). This is what happens to things not used for their intended purpose... as in playing (or reading) will 'devalue' them. A coin, stamp, or trading card you can see fully when 'officially' graded and encapsulated... a record or magazine becomes just inaccessible. They still age behind the plastic walls even if breaking the seals supposedly lessens 'value' more.

Don't pay for it, don't feed and reward the practice.

12. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

CGC......the equivalent grading service for comics has done much to create another similar bubble that hit it's peak in 2021-22. Said bubble is still bursting now, with even comic books regarded as the most valuable keys having lost nearly 50% of their fair market value from this time a year ago. And those prices are still dropping.

uzn007, mBen989, Texado and 1 other person like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Post of the day.

BornToBoogie and Halfwit like this.
  14. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

IMO one feelable scratch is VG, once they start adding up, you're in G+ and below territory

Playgrade is most important to me though... And once you have groove wear and such, the grade drops too... They are saying groove wear is still EX, how about NO...

I have a Getz & Gilberto mono I'm trying to sell, looks VG+ but sounds G+ and priced accordingly... Wouldn't dare try selling records graded with these people's scale, or by these people, too much of a feeling of a ripping people off...

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, baseball cards too.

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I love their definition of "mint"

• "Vinyl can have slight wear, light scuffs (scuffing or scratching that cannot be felt by hand), very light scratches, very slight warp Items that would not affect sound quality during playback."
    This is the second category where "feeling by hand" is mentioned as a test, which just makes me laugh.

So, now "mint" can have "slight wear" and "light scuffs?" Who started this farce - Discogs mega-sellers?

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Also, if few are actually listening (or reading) who is going to revere such treasures in the future? I remember when pulp fiction magazines used to be quite sought after and pricey, but the generations that avidly read or collected them have been fading. So a 1920s Argosy, 1940s Thrilling Wonder Stories, or mint Spicy Oriental Zeppelin Tales, has little meaning for many people anymore.

fretter and BornToBoogie like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Long time Beatles collector here. I gotta admit that most Beatles collectors have tons of stuff they never intend to play (can you say “butcher”?). Their service would be a lot more useful if they would develop an expertise in provenance - identify counterfeits, confirm original seals, etc.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

OMG, it just gets better. This is a bullet point from the Good+ rating (5/10):

• Vinyl will contain most of the original gloss (no visible groove wear)

And now here is how they describe a record rated Excellent (8/10):

• Some groove wear is evident, light scratches are deep enough to feel by touch

What *are* these clowns?

Shawn, Aftermath, pinkrudy and 9 others like this.
  20. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

So wait people actually will pay someone to have their LPs graded? Is this a disgruntled record store employee trying to strike a new path on their own?

21. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

I just bought an original 1957 Cookin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet on Prestige in the Metaverse!

Farmer Mike likes this.
  22. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

They'll probably find out in 30-40 years that these plastic sealed tombs give out plastic gassing migration like the PVC sleeves everyone was using from the 70's through to the 90's. Everything inside is ruined. But at least they've got something to hold the door open with.

Lanark, uzn007, mBen989 and 4 others like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..a waste of money that could be used towards actually buying the rare album you’re looking for.

24. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

I certainly wouldn’t argue with that statement.

uzn007 and beccabear67 like this.
  25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As I said in the other thread; I hate this. I hate everything about it!

BornToBoogie likes this.