Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Janigro recorded the two concerti commercially with I Solisti di Zagreb for RCA. Dunno if DoReMi gives the details, but the Keleman one is a 19th c. arrangement for 'cello and or. of Bach's arrangement for solo clavier of a (violin?) concerto by Johann Ernst von Sachsen-Weimar (but usually billed as "after Vivaldi"). How's that for a tangled pedigree? By the time Keleman gets done with it, it's about as Baroque as Hagen Dazs is Danish, but it's one my favorite "guilty pleasure" pieces, at least as Janigro played if for the RCA recording. Big, beautiful tone, lots of feeling, just a delight. It was issued in mono (and maybe stereo, too--not sure about that) on RCA Victor and in stereo on Victrola LPs.

The "Boccherini Concerto" is the familiar Grutzmacher pastiche, cobbled together and rearranged from bits and pieces of several Boccherini cello concerti. Again, in no way, shape, or form authentic, but that's about only thing anybody knew of Boccherini for many years, and a lot of the world's greatest 'cellists played and recorded it. In more recent years, Boccherini's works, particularly the cello concerti, have shown up on record in performances of the music as Boccherini actually wrote it.

The review refers to a prior issue of the Bach suites on a French label called Forgotten Records. A word of caution: I don't know that issue, but I bought a couple of others from that source (a Cluytens concert with Novaes in the Schumann pno. cto. and a b'cast recording of Friedrich Wuhrer in the Brahms 1st cto.), and both were transferred badly off pitch. As to DoReMi, I've found it wildly inconsistent in sound quality. I think it's a function that the label is quite happy to issue recordings whose source material is far, far below what anybody else would consider viable. Commendable from the "make historical material available" standpoint, but not always the easiest listening, even for ears as conditioned to non-fi as mine are. That said, I am grateful to the label at the least for making available Cor de Groot's cycle of the Beethoven pno. cti., Philips recordings originally issued in the United States on mono Epic LPs and as far as I know pretty much out of print ever since.

Ando II likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Gould's 1981 recording of the Goldbergs.

Wes H and Juan Matus like this.
  3. Ando II

Ando II explorer

No, it refers to the Doremi edition. Though you find both transferred badly off pitch Mr. Woolf (the author) does note that the Doremi's version of the sonatas are" more forward" than the Forgotten Records disc. Interesting bit about the cobbled Boccherini. As for "authentic" anything history proves every reckoning false. And when it's delivered by a musician like Janigro it's best to just enjoy the telling. :cool: Thanks!

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Sorry, wasn't clear--by "refers to" I meant "mentions," not "takes as its subject." As to pitch, I was pointing to the two Forgotten Records discs (of other works) that I bought; I have no idea whether any DoReMe issues have had any pitch issues, although I have no reason to think they would. After my experience with the Forgotten Records discs that I bought, however, I view all issues from that source with a bit of suspicion. In all events, enjoy your CD set!

Ando II likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Now listening to this CD from this box set. 1957 and 1967 Czech Radio recordings in excellent sound. The performances are extremely good. Czech Philharmonic and Leningrad Philharmonic respectively.[​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying some Mozart this morning.

Wes H likes this.
  7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just curious, what's your take on Gieseking's Mozart? I gather it's been somewhat polarizing, particularly in regard to his pedaling (or avoidance thereof).

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This is a very well done violin concerto by Daniel Lozakovich along with some shorter pieces arranged for violin & orchestra or piano and violin.
    Tchaikovsky
    Violin Concerto, plus some orchestral and chamber pieces.
    Daniel Lozakovich, violin
    National Philharmonic Orchestra of Russia
    Vladimir Spivakov
    DG, 2019
    [​IMG]

9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Which performance do you prefer-- the '55 or the '81?

10. George P

The 55. :cool:

Wes H likes this.
  11. George P

I think my enjoyment of it ebbs and flows. I've read his Mozart is inconsistent.

I prefer Kraus, Uchida or even Arrau's Mozart.

Nice thing about the Gieseking set is all the shorter, non-sonata works that are included. And the sound on that EMI set is clearly better than the sound on his muuch newer complete Warner set.

drh likes this.
  12. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Schumann's Kinderszenen and Brahms solo works from this set. Absolutely superb playing!

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    dale 88 and Wes H like this.
  13. George P

And you, Wes?

14. George P

[​IMG]

The late, great Tom Deacon once said that of all the recordings in Arrau's 70 year recording career, his gorgeous tone was only fully captured near the end of it. In these 1988-1991 sessions, this can be truly be heard. This set was also issued previously as The Final Sessions on Philips. I am not sure if the mastering is the same.

Tonight I am enjoying the Debussy CD from this set.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Wes H likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Honestly, it depends on my mood. If I'm feeling particularly cheerful and energetic, then it's the '55.
    If I'm in a more low key, reflective mood, the '81 is perfect.

I would not want to be without either. :)

fdsfd, harvard75 and George P like this.
  16. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Exactly how I choose between them too :righton:

Wes H likes this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying a spin of this CD.

Ed Casey and Wes H like this.
  18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Cyrille Dubois
    So romantique
    Orchestre National De Lille
    Pierre Dumoussaud
    Alpha, 2023
    This recital consists of mostly French opera from the 1830's to the 1900's using the light tenor or tenor de grace that was popular during that time. Cyrille Dubois is in fine voice.
    [​IMG]

19. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Verdi: “Otello”. Toscanini and RCA S.O. 1947 recording with Vinay, Nelli, Valdengo, …
    Astonishing vocals are in my room. In mono, 44/16 MQA 44 via Tidal.

Ed Casey and JMR like this.
  20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 18.

21. George P

OK, but if you guys could only keep one, which one would it be?

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Impossible to choose! They get equal play at my house.

Each is a unique, indispensable interpretation of the Goldberg Variations. If the '55 is seminal, the '81 is groundbreaking to the point that it, too, is essential.
    Having heard both and appreciating the differences, I could never just live with only one without sorely missing the special qualities of the other.

fdsfd and jfeldt like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Maybe the best Mahler 1 ever. Certainly in the running.

jfeldt likes this.
  24. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

It's a really hard decision, I love each for totally different reasons, and the represent such different approaches. If you asked me 20 years ago, I'd say the 1955, but as I get older I like the 1981 more and more. Right now if I had to pick, I'd say the 1955 since that's what I started with, but I reserve the right to change my pick later :)

George P and Wes H like this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I agree! For many years I've admired that recording on this 1968 LP:

[​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.