New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, to your point, it is kinda crazy that many including me thinks $40 isn’t bad for an audiophile record. But if you step back and think about it, and were around when records were much, much less, it does seem very high. But pretty much always thought $125 plus was crazy for something like a One Step. When I thought in the beginning it would be very limited, and only a few titles, I went along. But they started flooding the market with them, AP jumped in at $150, and I jumped out when it was apparent this was going to be a standard business model. However, like many, if it’s the right title (like the Marley’s) I’m in. But I’m being incredibly selective. I was so in on the Hotel California when announced (and I could care less how they master it, that had no bearing on my decision either way) but it’s amazing how your perspective can change in a year. No doubt it will sound fantastic, but the nice copy I have is good enough in my mind now. I also changed my mind about all the Van Halen’s. Plenty of good alternatives. As long as we keep buying, the prices will remain. Will be interesting to see how the Van Halen’s sell.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. owsley

owsley Senior Member

All analog mastering? I'm in

JFSebastion likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sure! But only if you still eat out. I think eating out has become ridiculous too. Average is about $75 for an okay meal for two. Really? I’m fine if it’s going out with family or friends on occasion, that adds value. But just my wife and I? We’ve really cut back, just like my record buying.

Luckily a new record store opened in our market and while you can spend $30 on a good collectible used album, he’s kept it reasonable and his higher typical price is $14.99. It’s more fun to get a few of those, for me anyway, than one record for $125.

mozz and lucan_g like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed. Geez, they have put out wonderful albums for $25. This is just putting fancier packaging together with what was already, in many cases, a fine product. Still, it’s much better than paying $125-$150 imo. And most of us hate the boxes, so that’s a plus. Also, they have one heck of a library with no licensing issues. If that’s what they need to start putting out rock and pop titles that the audiophile labels can’t license, I’m okay with $40.

VQR, Mazzy and sharedon like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Then I think it is crazy for MOFI to cut from DSD. If available (for WEA titles like Zevon, Eagles, Joni, Van Halen, I'm assuming they would be?), why not give the people what they want and just cut from the original master tape. I would be tempted to buy most, if not all of them.

CryptoSurfer and markmck79 like this.
  6. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

MoFi, AP and other audiophile labels don't get anywhere near 100k copies per lacquer cut. They swap plates out after under 1,000 pressings, so you're getting, in some cases, 5,000 or less copies per lacquer cut. That doesn't even take into account if plates get damaged, etc before they hit those 500-1000 pressings. The 100k number was something steve hoffman tossed out awhile ago on these boards. I don't see how there wouldn't be degradation in the plates if you're pushing past 100k copies on a single lacquer cut.

7. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

I'm kinda mad at myself for being annoyed about this, but I actually am a bit annoyed by this.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for sharing first thoughts!

Spitfire likes this.
  8. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

KG’s Paranoid is a great pressing! Has punch, clarity and a great live feel. The Ron McMaster pressings of the self titled and Master of Reality were pleasant listens but this is not what I want to hear when listening to Black Sabbath. Those 2 were sold off very quickly. Vol 4 done by Chris Bellman is however fantastic and definitely would be hard to beat if Rhino tackled that one.

JFSebastion and BS101 like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sure. It's important to note that when Rhino started doing a lot of vinyl reissues around 2004-2008, the vinyl reissue market was very different than what it is today. They did keep a lot of stuff in print from those years until more recently. A big problem with Rhino releases for awhile is that many were pressed at Rainbo. So even if the mastering was good (whether AAA or not) you had to deal with a fairly high rate of pressing defects. There was also a lot of market confusion around "real Rhinos" and Scorpio stuff manufactured under the auspices of Warner/Rhino. Scorpio stuff flooded the bins at record stores for years.

Leviethan likes this.
  10. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

They also used RTI for quite a long time. Lots of those rhino reissues with the HQ-180 stickers from RTI on em.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep. Those were usually better.

12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

WhatDoIKnow, ARK, pierre168 and 3 others like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

To be honest I've not come across a reputable record shop that charges way above retail for new stock. Anywhere physical or online when a record gets repressed it is the wholesale price that determines the retail price and not flippers prices prior to the repress. As for used prices, it's probably not worth up pricing them. If they have been in stock unsold for months he should reduce the price. If I knew that a certain record had been in the racks for six months I would make him a lower offer on it. What someone is asking this week on Discogs isn't necessary the correct value. How many actually sell at those prices?

JFSebastion likes this.
  14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It only gives me free shipping but not the 15% off for the Coltrane and Cars.

15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

There's also this code that's been shared on the board - CC22SLA15WMG - and there may be another/different onc shared here, too? I ordered straight away and didn't get to use any code/sale myself...

ARK and Tullman like this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thank you!

ejluther likes this.
  17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I know that Mofi "lied" or hid the truth from us - so we can never be 100% sure of anything, but why would you have to assume the Rhino's are AAA? It was specifically indicated in many places, as well as from a video posted on You Tube by Rhino talking with Elliot Easton and Kevin Gray that these were AAA.

bruinuclafan and Mike H. like this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

"hey, i got kicked in the crotch, but at least the guy was wearing slippers"

bajaed, ARK and Moray like this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Maybe now we can finally get a KG AAA cut of Paul Simon – The Rhythm Of The Saints ?

I think OG's were DMM (someone correct me if I'm wrong) though apparently they sound good.

siddhartha likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Didn't that come out in 1990? Was it analog to begin with?

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So what does THE CARS S/T sound like?

That was a tricky mastering for my DCC Compact Classics version.

The songs on side one that were separate and leadered had one "sound" but the songs that blended together on side two had a much softer sound, losing a tape generation by blending. The blended songs needed a bit of an EQ boost and the unblended songs needed a bit of a reduction of the harsh lower treble tones that I felt got in the way of the songs.

So the end result was that all the songs had more or less the same tonality which I felt did justice to this classic album.

Curious as to what this new version sounds like.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Harsh but fair.

23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Fair question, someone with more Paul Simon know-how should answer, I'm not sure

Graceland was recorded just a few years earlier and originals were also DMM

JFSebastion likes this.
  24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

One of the best-sounding reissues I've heard!

bajaed and Jasonbraswell like this.
  25. siddhartha

siddhartha Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite albums. I would absolutely love to see this!!

theclipper, JFSebastion and Crush87 like this.