The Hooters "Rocking & Swing", new album (May 2023)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, May 5, 2023.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

A track appeared on Amazon Music that didn't sound familiar. Lo and behold, it's the pre-release single from the new album! I had mostly given up on expecting anything new from them after the very good Time Stand Still from 2007 (!) and the interesting Five by Five EP from 2010. The only other new material we got since then were two live albums.

Announcing “Rocking & Swing”! — THE HOOTERS

The Hooters are excited to announce the release of Rocking & Swing, their first new studio recording since 2010! The new album will be released on May 12th through their own Hooters Music label and will be available on vinyl and CD along with digital streaming services.

Rocking & Swing is a throwback to The Hooters’ early 80s roots with their unique blend of ska, reggae and rock. It is an upbeat, party record with 8 new tracks (plus a bonus live track on the CD, recorded at The Keswick Theatre in November 2022).

The album features its first single, “Why Won’t You Call Me Back,” as well as several new takes on previously released recordings. A few of the songs may also sound familiar to the band’s first fans as they were originally played live back in the early 80s club scene where the group got its start. The addition of a three-piece horn section, aptly named ‘Men In The Street’ (after the Skatalites’ classic track) adds another dimension of Roots Rock Hooterization.

“We’ve been talking about this kind of project for years. But it just sort of happened last winter, organically and quickly, always a good sign," explains co-founder and keyboardist Rob Hyman. "After we had played some new material with the horns at the Keswick Theatre last fall, it was finally the right time and place for us to revisit the feel of those pivotal gigs and vintage sounds.”

In fact, some of the new album’s tracks were directly transferred from 4-track PortaStudio cassette demos from the 80s into ProTools, constructing the 2023 band around these vintage elements. The result is a bold musical leap into the future with a loving nod to the past!

Here's a live recording of the song from late 2022 (with Rob Hyman consistently out of sight...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFZaJlTcKE

They'll also be touring the US on an 80s package tour with (among others, not always the same line-up!) Tommy Tutone, Paul Young and Rick Springfield:

Rick Springfield

And there's a re-release of their first single:

But Wait There’s More! — THE HOOTERS

carlwm, Galley and AnalogJ like this.
  2. JulesRules

I've listened to that new song about four times now. If that's any indication of the whole record, we're in for a treat! :righton:

carlwm likes this.
  3. JulesRules

For those who like digital downloads: 7digital has the new single at CD quality, Qobuz has it in 24/96. I assume the entire album will be available in hi-res.

4. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Man, they weren't kidding about the ska and reggae. They've got horns and everything. After the initial shock, I'm enjoying most of tracks. Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time in August.

carlwm and JulesRules like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Was looking forward to Rocking & Swing. Not so sure now. Not keen on ska or reggae and with two covers of songs I don't like and two unnecessary remakes, this seems to be slim pickings.

If I ever see it in a bargain bin, I'll take the risk but, as much as I usually love the band's music, I'll leave my money in my pocket for the moment.

6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Saw them live a few years ago. Brilliant. Hope you enjoy 'em in August!

arob71 likes this.
  7. JulesRules

I think it's already available on streaming sites, so you can check it out... I'll probably pick it up when I'm in Berlin next month.

carlwm likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'll give it a listen. Cheers!

JulesRules likes this.
  9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Listening to this right now. I like it too. Liked the cover of the Stone's Connection

arob71 likes this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But their work, particularly their early work, always had a ska influence. They have been an interesting mix of ska and Americana.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. JulesRules

Right. "Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It" from Zig Zag is a good example.

AnalogJ likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The albums I have - from Nervous Night onward - have a touch of ska & reggae in amongst the folk-rock but it's pushed far enough in the background that it's easy to ignore. Seems like it's become the dominant sound of the new one.

As Jules Rules suggests, though, I'll give it a listen on-line before I write it off.

AnalogJ and JulesRules like this.
  13. JulesRules

"Pete Rose" sounds like The Hooters' take on Madness' "One Step Beyond" to me.

carlwm and arob71 like this.
  14. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I thought the exact same thing.

carlwm and JulesRules like this.