Strange Contrary B-Sides

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beenieman, May 25, 2023.

1. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

When the Beach Boys released their Motown-inspired, back-to-basics shouter "Wild Honey," they paired it with the psychedelic hash-fest, "Wind Chimes," from their prior album. Both great songs, but I'll bet the kiddies were confused when they flipped that one over.

Bob J, CliffL and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  2. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Public Image Ltd - The Cowboy Song

One of my favorite bands in the world, but this can most generously be called a non-song. Makes “Fodderstompf” feel like a total banger in comparison.

DTK, Jon-A and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  3. Huh? Spector usually put throwaway instrumentals on his b-sides so there’s be no question about what the intended hit song was.

CliffL likes this.
  4. versionsound

Around 3:51 it starts to sound shockingly like Liquid Liquid.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  5. versionsound

Yeah, this is kind of a banger.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The b-side to Turbonegro's cover of Suffragette City was a (very) politically incorrect spoken word piece in Danish...

7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Dorelda_Doremus likes this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Norton Records' mail order service used to offer a cool compilation of the Spector b-sides, that probably was an unauthorized bootleg. Those b-sides aren't reissued often, if at all, or at least they weren't in the pre-digital age.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  9. SmallDarkCloud

The Rezillos recorded a wonderful version of this one, a decade later.

NumberEight likes this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

Love this one. It was an early sign of the great introspective songwriter Westerberg was underneath the 'Mats' energetic noise.

11. SmallDarkCloud

The b-side to The Beach Boys' "Heroes and Villains" is "You're Welcome." It's a sublime recording, and showcases the groups vocal harmonies. What makes it unusual is that it's very short - 1 minute, 17 seconds. Imagine The Beatles releasing "Your Majesty" as a b-side, and you get the idea.

12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Most, but definitely not George Harrison..."Isn't It A Pity" was as good as the A-side to me!

13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Another B-side that just came to mind..."Fire Ball" by Mercy...the A-side is their big hit "Love Can Make You Happy" which is about as far as you can get from this fuzz-guitar number.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That was officially a double A_side; both sides had the green Apple.

15. Yeah, to be more specific, I think the rule only applied to singles on the Philles label.

Cimrya Deal and CliffL like this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This may not even e the same group. The album built around "Love Can Make You Happy" (which didn't include this) was otherwise cover songs performed by an anonymous studio group.

CliffL likes this.
  17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Some people like their Beatles deadly serious....

Jarleboy and Cool hand luke like this.
  18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale b/w Lime Street Blues

sharedon likes this.
  19. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

most B- sides by Manfred Mann , mostly written by Mike Hugg
    This is the "B-side " to Ragamuffin man, I quite like it but you wouldn't think it was by the same artist

20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

and one of the best B-sides ever ...Simon Says on the A-side

Dorelda_Doremus and CliffL like this.
  21. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Yaz Don't Go had a b-side called Winter Kills. It is dark and disturbing.

22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well that was the "bonus B-Side" on the 12" single - which isn't really what the OP is asking for, as he said he spent pocket money as a little kid because he liked the A-Side. In the case of Maiden, I'm sure miost (if not all) of the people who bought their 12" singles were hardcore fans who bought them specifically FOR the B-Sides as they already have the A-Side on the album.

Also being a 12" only B-Side, there's no danger of rooms full of people getting assaulted by jukebox-play of that track, unlike with this 7" B-Side to Tracy Ullman's biggest hit (a cover of Kirsty MacColl's 'They Don't Know'):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7U7VAfkUoc

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The 7" inch B-Side of that Iron Maiden '2 Minutes To Midnight' single (hardly an eyebrow-raiser):

24. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Yes, I have the album..."Love Can Make You Happy" is re-recorded on it (the mono single is best!) I got the single in 1973 when I was in high school, that's when I noticed the completely different B-side.

25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Roxy Music did that (put out goofy instrumental B-Sides) to spread the wealth around, since Ferry wrote all the band's "songs" and he encouraged the others to come up with the B-Sides - and make some publishing money, since on physical sales of singles, the B-Side makes the SAME publishing royalties as the A-Side.

This would also explain why (though his earliest solo albums were ALL cover songs, since presumably he was saving his originals for the next Roxy Music album) he nearly always re-recorded a solo version of a song he wrote that had appeared on a previous Roxy Music album, so that he'd make some "B-Side money" from his cover song A-Sides.

mr.datsun likes this.