The Steely Dan Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, May 13, 2023.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I was a big fan of Mort's, too. My dad had a couple of his albums and was a big fan.

I saw him a couple of times live as well.

But then Mort started hanging out with Roger Ailes, and Mort started to be a both-sides-erist, then later a defender of the right-wing. I watched his live Periscope broadcasts, sort of enjoyed his Hollywood stories, but got tired (and disappointed) from his trashing of Democrats, but unwillingness to criticize Republicans (I'd ask him questions about Right-wing politicians, but he'd just deflect. It was very curious to see this from someone who used to be an astute critic of those in power.).

timind, lemonade kid and MortSahlFan like this.
  2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

He was his manager, and then had him on as a guest.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a very serious case can be made for steely dan being the greatest american band of all time.

Kundalini, lobo, Usagi75 and 5 others like this.
  4. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

Both magnificent. They only "suffer" in comparison with other Steely Dan releases, especially Gaucho. Aja's perfection left them "no where to go" unless they completely changed direction

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    timind likes this.
  5. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

Great thread! I'm a complete fanboy, having bought all of their core albums multiple times. A couple of recent things seem to have escaped notice:

First, they are still a GREAT live show--I saw them a dozen times or more in the 10 years leading up to covid, with the band cited at the end of the OP; at least two of these were post-Walter. For those who object to a post-Walter Steely Dan, you may remember that he said decades ago that he did not care if he played on his own songs. I will see them twice(?) on their next swing...

Also, the AP UHQR's are amazing--big, detailed, musical--you get to hear it all in the old school way it was intended. The new Geffen/Universal CBAT is also excellent. But if you have a strong system and deep pockets, the UHQR is definitely the better choice.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, I agree with you. And you need to put them up with the Talking Heads, The Eagles, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band. Perhaps throw in Prince and the Revolution, if we're talking influential bands. We could also probably throw in Buddy Holly and the Crickets while we're at it.

Throwing it open to individuals, you'd have to consider someone like James Brown, who had many different iterations of his band. But then, so did Becker and Fagen.

Food for thought.

ARK and Peter HG like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

“Be careful who you choose as your enemy because that’s who you become most like” -Nietzsche

I am not worried about myself...I'll always let my freak flag fly and the "other side" will never get to me now...old dogs n' all.

[​IMG]

timind and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

also:

the first chicago
    the allman brothers
    the byrds

9. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Please, I beg you, let's not derail a thread appreciating Steely Dan into who was "the best American band."

Let's instead take a moment and reflect on the fact that Steely Dan has never been more popular or discussed more frequently amongst music nerds since their heyday in the '70s. Becker & Fagen are hip all over again.

Kundalini, Chadmiral, lobo and 7 others like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner Thread Starter

Yeah, trying to determine who is the best American band is like trying to determine whether you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream when the fact remains you love both equally. Music isn't a competition of who is greater or has the most popularity. F*** that!

So, yes, let's get back to Steely Dan who is one of my all-time favorites. If you had to make a list of your 'Top 5' favorite songs from SD, what would they be? And this question is open to everyone. I'll have to mull over this question myself and will report back later on tonight.

Kundalini, 420JJJazz666 and Jimbino like this.
  11. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Babylon Sisters
    Doctor Wu
    Black Cow
    My Old School
    Green Earrings

Any order is fine.

12. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Kid Charlemagne
    Aja
    Razor Boy
    Kings
    Night By Night

Jimbino likes this.
  13. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Top 5 Dan songs:
    • Green Earrings
    • The Fez
    • Home at Last
    • Time Out of Mind
    • Do It Again
    Wish I could do ten, maybe even twenty songs... Every Steely Dan hits comp, although fabulous, always feels incomplete to me. Honestly, even with a couple weaker tracks, Citizen Steely Dan is to me their "best of," hahaha.

shadowcurtain, MicSmith and Jimbino like this.
  14. tulumdedoo

tulumdedoo Forum Resident

"Here at the Western World," "The Bear," and "The Second Arrangement" are as good as anything they put out on a standard, non-hits release.

I always try to think of their 'worst' song, one that appeared on an LP but "should have" ended up on the chopping block, and it's not easy to come up with one.

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Their 94 reunion tour was amazing, the show I attended is still one the very best concerts i've ever been to.

Top 5 songs (they change frequently)

Black Cow
    Chain Lightning
    Do It Again
    The Royal Scam
    Daddy Don't Live In That New York City No More

MicSmith, Jimbino and tulumdedoo like this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Child of the 70's and High School in the first half of the Eighties. They were an oasis to me in many ways. That said fast forward 35 years and I was surprised when some very in the know music wise Millennial friends flat out hated them. Ok a couple of questionable latter day songs or say album maybe I can see it. Anyway I didn't argue but just noted they really spoke to me on a smarts/quality level at a time when that wasn't always top of mind in the monolithic music culture I grew up in. Then I saw this recently and it maybe is either the symptom or the source of the hate on our about 2007.

ARK and MicSmith like this.
  17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Dr Wu
    Here At The Western World
    Home At Last
    Caves of Altamira
    Green Earrings

18. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

"With A Gun" on Pretzel Logic is the only dud in their catalogue (through Gaucho) imo

19. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

I am a millennial and many of us love Steely Dan...

ARK, MicSmith, Davido and 1 other person like this.
  20. tulumdedoo

tulumdedoo Forum Resident

I could buy that. Maybe "Monkey in Your Soul" as well. "Gun" does have a cool, if short, bridge.

utopiarun, MicSmith and sekaer like this.
  21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Just got home, glorious sun shining here in Edinburgh on a Friday evening & stuck Aja on.

This is the life.

22. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Tough question - so many contenders, and many are better in the context of their albums than on their own. I guess today I'd go with (no particular order):

Do It Again
    Your Gold Teeth
    Doctor Wu
    Haitian Divorce
    Third World Man

23. lemonade kid

Reelin' In The Years (the stellar guitar riffs, the driving drum & piano rhythm :wiggle:)
    Your Gold Teeth
    Katy Lied*
    Bad Sneakers* (and a piña colada my friend...:righton:)
    Doctor Wu* (is sublime)

So yeah...Katy Lied* (the album) takes the prize.

:cheers:

MicSmith, Jimbino and sekaer like this.
  24. lemonade kid

So I just discovered that our cute little dancing emoji keeps perfect rhythm!
    Seriously, just click on the arrow and watch him go! :laugh: Well, pretty closely if not perfectly.

:wiggle:

Reelin' In The Years

ARK and MicSmith like this.
  25. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Deacon Blues
    The Royal Scam
    Dirty Work
    Your Gold Teeth II
    Black Cow

lemonade kid, MicSmith and Jimbino like this.