New Rhino Audiophile series announced: High Fidelity (inc. The Cars, John Coltrane) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notjhill, May 17, 2023.

1. Vinyl Junkie

Vinyl Junkie Forum Resident

I'm annoyed as well. They go through all this work and not put the original labels on it.

ejluther likes this.
  2. Vinyl Junkie

Guess I don't, but you can never be too sure.

3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Jason, I wanted to verify your Iron Butterfly-Heavy, RSD release to mine. Mine has a sticker on the front cover, stating "The 1968 Groundbreaking Debut In Glorious All-Analog Monophonic Sound". Lacquers Cut At Bernie Grundham Mastering. It has a large RTI HQ-180 Vinyl Pressing. Plus a RSD sticker too. Paid $26.99, Good Records, Dallas, Tx. So do I have the correct lp like yours?

4. Vinyl Junkie

Interesting. After listening to it all the way through, I can say I like side 2 better in sound quality than side 1. Moving in Stereo sounds fantastic!. I thought the vocals on Good Times Roll had a muffled sound.

WhatDoIKnow, ejluther and pierre168 like this.
  5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Love the background, Steve.

I don't expect these sort of behind-the-scenes looks at the status of the tapes and how they arrived at the masters but it certainly would be nice when putting together liner notes to include such things.

"Audiophiles" paying $50 for an LP are probably the types that find it interesting.

CBackley and troggy like this.
  6. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

It's this one with Rocktober sticker

Iron Butterfly - Heavy

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A $15.98 MoFi album from 1977 would be a $80.00 MoFi album today based on inflation.

Or...

That $8.98 Cars debut album in 1978 would be $41.78. So $40 for a much more deluxe presentation of that same album isn't very much more than inflation adjustment.

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The rsd is mono while the Roctober is stereo.

9. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

10. JFSebastion

I'd welcome a shoot out between the two.

11. JFSebastion

DMM was good on certain albums.
    I've got several that I've kept
    R.E.M. Document
    Beatles . WA
    Crowded House Temple of Low Men

teag likes this.
  12. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Thanks for info! So I'll search for the Rocktober release(stereo)

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    RiRiIII and JFSebastion like this.
  13. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I recall paying $20 + $4 shipping in September, 1979 for the MFSL Original Master Recording of Supertramp - Crime of the Century. I ordered directly from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab by clipping the little order from from an ad in Stereo Review magazine. Back then, I was making $2.00/hr at my college work/study job and only working about 10 - 12 hours per week. So, that was a significant purchase for me.

So, people complaining about paying ~2x that amount 44 years later seems a lot like an old man yelling at a cloud. If you don't like the price, the title, the cost of shipping, Rhino's business model, the quality of the product, etc. you always have the option not to buy them.

My Car S/T is on the way and I'm excited to get it and grateful that it exists. Many of the best sounding albums I have purchased in the past couple years have been comparably priced MoFi and AP 33 rpm issues, as well as several 45 rpm reissues in the $55 - $60 price range. I find it mildly amusing that in the big 1-Step/UHQR threads posters are talking about what a bargain some of the the $40 33rpm and $60 45rpm "regular" releases are, while people in this thread are complaining about the high price of these new "audiophile" releases from Rhino.

I get that not everyone wants to pay theses prices, and I also have purchased many great sounding "standard" reissues in the $20 - $25 range within the last few years. One of my all time favorite albums is the 2008 Kevin Gray mastered Van Morrison - Moondance, which costs me $21.99 delivered (I love that albums so much, I ordered a back up copy). Like anyone else, I like a good bargain, but I'm also willing to spend a little more for an outstanding pressing of one of my favorite albums (i.e. - The Cars - S/T), especially when I know someone like Kevin Gray (or Chris Bellman or Steve Hoffman did the mastering).

14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Two more great sounding DMM titles: Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust and my original Paul Simon - Graceland on beautiful root beer brown translucent vinyl.

JFSebastion likes this.
  15. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

At least these Rhino Audiophile future releases seem more promising than the cheaply produced Friday Music reisdues.

JFSebastion and hi_watt like this.
  16. pierre168

pierre168 Senior Member

My copy has shipped and I'll be happy to report back when I receive the new Rhino - probably sometime next week. I can compare it to your DCC CD and a Canadian 1978 LP.

WhatDoIKnow and Xander2017 like this.
  17. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

If had to choose between committing to a monthly fee just to have access to purchase records versus purchasing directly from a label, I will choose the label every time. The guy in Arizona is “bad for the record business”.

Jeff Edwards and CryptoSurfer like this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Like so many other sales this weekend, NO DISCOUNT ON THE GOOD STUFF.:realmad:

19. I personally don’t get why people care about not getting original labels on reissues. You want an original, buy an original.

All of the majors went through label revisions every 4-5 years for their represses and new issues Some slight and some dramatic design changes

20. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

For me it’s basically pure nostalgia and a penchant for details - especially if the new label is boring/generic. Never a deal breaker, though, just a small pet peeve…

21. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

My list of the preferred The Cars debut on Lp:

1) Rhino Gray 5k
    2) white label promo
    3) Nautilus 1/2 speed
    4) Ian Shefcik Start Your Ear Off Right blue vinyl

Traded the MoFi vinyl away a long time ago.

JRose, OE3, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I actually cannot STAND reissues trying to look like originals. It bugs me no end. Even at DCC and AF I had to do it but I sure didn't like to. I mean, nothing wrong with the original artwork and cover, etc. but the original catalog number and label? Seems like a cheat to me. Nothing original about it.

I could be dead wrong though.

At Warner Bros. when we did Fleetwood Mac, etc. there was a catch in the old contracts that worked in our favor. If we issued under the original number, we didn't have to get new contracts or approval. As long as the original number was being used, all good to go. Major loophole but good for us at the time.

23. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Picked up both for $37.05 each with free ship and discount.....I can handle that price.

jgrillo, JFSebastion and MCM_Fan like this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Well, I think because most of the audiophile labels (notable exception Mofi) made a big deal about going the route
    of replicating original packaging, that's now what many people buying premium vinyl expect.

Another way to view it would be through the lens of evaluating the label art on it's own aesthetic value.
    Is any reissue label remaking their own in-house labels doing a better job than the originals?
    Personally, I think not!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ejluther, mne563 and RC1 like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

To me it just reeks of counterfeit, like those 1970's fake Vee Jay "Introducing The Beatles" LP's that were sold everywhere. Gross.

I know I'm the exception.