Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just like super hero movies, as long as there’s an audience, they’ll keep making it

EVOLVIST and barfko like this.
  2. Joe Stewart

Joe Stewart Forum Resident

At the beginning, the awards were like an industry trade show and in the 50s television approached Hollywood and asked if they could televise it. It turned into a TV event from there and has gotten more cringeworthy with time. :) Kind of like what ESPN did to the NFL draft. :)

3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

There’s only one awards show?

4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

This year around 19 million in the U.S. gave a ****.
    Not what it used to be but still the most watched show that night.

Personally enjoy it and if I didn't I'd simply change the channel.
    Wish the BAFTA's were as easy to watch over here.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Attractive women in movies and TV shows (often in romantic comedies, but not exclusively) who claim that they haven't had sex in a long time, and/or that their sex lives are non-existent.

finslaw, PH416156, Borgia and 2 others like this.
  6. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Everything

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

They haven't gone full Grammy yet but they're working on it.

Boom Operator likes this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

That's just called "having standards."

yesstiles likes this.
  9. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Scenes that show people playing bowed string instruments: they rarely get vibrato or left hand positions correct. The piano is a little easier to fake if the actor can’t actually play it. Still, I’ve seen some bad attempts over the years.

10. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

This isn't Hollywood, but here's Larry Lamb playing the keyboard in a clip from the first Gavin and Stacey Christmas special. Watch at the very start, and at the end of the clip as the camera pulls out. It's hilarious, he's not even pretending to move his hands!

Klavier likes this.
  11. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Wow...that's about the worst I've seen!

Phil Tate likes this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The pitch and tempo changing in a capella singing or chanting when two different angles are edited together.

Example: M*A*S*H, when Potter is first introduced, he, BJ and Hawkeye are in the swamp singing an old WWI song; when the scene switches to outside the tent, the musical pitch drops.

Example: STAR TREK, when the children are chanting to bring forth the friendly angel, the pitch and tempo changes from edit to edit.

Often happens on Happy Birthday celebrations.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The exciting real life world of detectives! Investigating the unsolved murder! Digging deeper than the stumped police detectives! Brawling with henchmen! Falling in love with the widow! Outsmarting Mr. Big's plan to steal the entire enchilada!

A friend briefly worked with a detective agency. Every single one of his assignments was photographing a straying husband, preliminary to serving divorce papers. Every. Single. Job.

I asked him, Is the guy ever not cheating? He said, Nope, he's always cheating because by the time his wife figures it out, the husband's brazen and lazy about it. Same bat place, same bat time, same bat channel. My friend would just park in the hotel lobby and wait for the inevitable evidence to present itself for documentation.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Borgia likes this.
  14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

All planets have the same gravity as ours. (Nevermind atmosphere.)

I'll grant Hollywood and the BBC the universal translator as a plot convenience, but even when they don't give us a throwaway line about it, the characters often don't react properly to aliens speaking Californian English. Think how differently Planet of the Apes would have been if any character, human or ape, said, 'Wait. They're not just speaking. They're speaking the same language I speak.'

John3655 and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Westerns in general. It was standard issue for guns to have to be checked in when you enter a town, but in Westerns they wanted the whole rogue gunslinger vibe so they ignored that reality. Westerns were also created as propaganda of sorts to condone the westward movement and genocide against Native Americans, and then that propaganda genre became like one third of all movies in Hollywood for a time. The thing about it that was wrong is Hollywood always portrayed warring "Indians" and ones that were more or less asking for it. But out of thousands of Westerns made I can't think of one that portrayed the genocide of peaceful tribes in California. Dances With Wolves and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee were about the Lakota tribe in the Dakotas. So Hollywood has made many films about Slavery and the Holocaust, but they have not made one movie about the very thing IN THEIR STATE that they lied about for a century in thousands of movies, and the lie that basically built their entire industry.

EVOLVIST, Damien DiAngelo and KevinP like this.
  16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Whenever someone needs a newspaper from a street newspaper box, they never ever pay for it. They know exactly how to hit it.

Candy in vending machines get stuck every single time.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

When they adapt pre-existing source material, thinking that they are smarter than both the writers that created it, and the fan base that made it a success, and hence changing stuff that no one asked them to change.

18. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

You know that is exactly the kind of comment I would expect from a Frank Zappa fan .
    Ie Pretentious .

19. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

In all those war, espionage and police movies and tv shows when there's radio communication involved they always say "over and out" which is completely wrong. I sometimes think it's some industry "rule" to do it deliberately wrong just like drawing 4 fingers in animation / cartoons. Saying "over and out" would literally mean: “You can talk now if you want, but I’m not going to be listening.”!

It's a universal rule in two-way radio communication of saying “over” to indicate that the speaker is through talking and inviting the other person to speak. You are turning the air over to the person you’re speaking with. When you’re done speaking, you terminate the conversation by saying “out.”

20. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

But on a more larger scale: CGI! Somehow almost every movie goes completely overboard when using it. Make sharks, dinosaurs, monsters 20 times bigger....no, wait let's make them 50 times bigger! I saw a preview of the latest Aquaman movie and it's like watching a video game (from 10 years ago). What a lifeless, plotless digital drivel.

21. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Maybe try and learn the difference between tongue in cheek, and pretentious? :)

22. Ultra low contrast video, straight from the camera's digital sensor.

Yes, you can now capture an entire image while preserving the shadows and avoiding clipping the highlights. However, it's still recommended that you light. The. Damn. SCENE!

mavisgold likes this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Pretenditious!

24. I wouldn't mind all of the CGI if only they could perfect it, which they haven't.

It's not just that, though. The CGI in the Lord of the Rings trilogy was dope, primarily because they used combinations of real sets and CGI, which gives more realism.

So, I guess that circles around to what you originally said, if it's all CGI from stem to stern, it's pretty much a big jerk off.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

One cliche that never fails to make me laugh: the protagonist is in some kind of 'emergency' situation, so he/she runs home and opens up a safe or baseboard to grab his stash of $1m cash and a trove of weapons. The weapons would be the easy part...I hope to have enough one day to sock $1m in cash behind a fake wall in my closet :D