SH Spotlight Steve's Mastering Secrets, Part II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by salleno, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Can one of you guys educate me? In the previous thread, Steve talked about bass reduction on Hotel California. I just listened to the Target pressing and my early Japan (38XD-60), which sound identical, but are both very light on the bass -- and I thought that these were flat transfers?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why would you think that?:confused:

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not sure where I heard that; might be remembering incorrectly. In any event, that Japan pressing sure doesn't sound as good as I remember it; the bass drum sounds like a cardboard box.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Are you sure? I'm just confused.:confused:
    It is not so called 'pink Island'. Or is somewhere pink?

5. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

I did this recently on a country CD I mastered, where the material was compiled from titles recorded at three different studios, across a seven year period. I just keyed in on making sure the lead vocal on all the songs was at about the same apparent level from song to song, and the relative dynamics on the introductions of the songs flowed well from one song to the next. The most dynamic songs will just hit digital maximum; the titles with the least dynamic range ended up needing to be set to where they were peaking at no higher than -4 or -3 dBFS to 'fit' alongside them. (Sure, I could have just compressed the more dynamic titles to fit against the others, but I wanted the sound to be as lifelike as possible. And the artiste is a more 'old school country' chap, and he's THRILLED with the results I obtained. I guess I'm proud of this one! :D )

A popular CD I have, that embodies this mastering technique, is the Beatles '1' CD, mastered by Peter Mew.

Another great thread, Steve!

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I've narrowed it down to two songs. Critical listening time tomorrow. :)

7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

"70's Rock Classics Vol.1"

Just wanted to add my 2 cents about this CD.

The version of Evil Woman is amazing. I'm a huge ELO fan and I've listened to several masterings of this song. But this one on the "70's Rock Classics Vol.1" CD is a revelation. I hear string layers I wasn't aware of before. The word "unearthed" pretty much expresses my listening experience.

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That's so true. But i think it is not only this song, that benefits from the mastering. Most songs are pretty well known Rock Staples and each of them sounds spectacular on this CD. 'Because The Nigh't has such a wide open sound, that i just do not hear on Patti Smith LP. Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper" - the harmony vocals and the guitars sound so alive and huge - it is fantastic. I could go on and on. Even Linda Ronstadt really rocks on the last Track :)... Will look out for the other 4 Volumes of this series.

9. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

D'Oh! I should have thought of that!

Now I got yet another old CD to hunt down...

And a few more listens to the gold CD to figure out the SH splice...

Thanks Steve, for the links.

10. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I believe that's only true of "Straight Up", which was mastered by Peter Mew. The CD of "No Dice" was mastered by Mike Jarratt, and sounds nearly identical to yours. I don't recall hearing any DNR on "No Dice", but it's been a while since I listened to the EMI CD.

Derek

11. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Hey Steve,

Can you give us a run-down on your current mastering setup? I am curious about the equipment you use!

12. Steve Hoffman

13. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

The DCC's can get expensive, but the "Reeling in the Years" volumes are identical to the DCC's and much cheaper. They just have different track sequencing. "Because the Night" sounds better than I've ever heard it. Totally amazing! :righton:

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Hi Steve, my guess is around the two minute mark of the title track. Or there seemed to be something around the 1:00 mark of "Seagull" - I want to listen to this one again when I get home to make sure.

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Steve,

Any fun working with the 10cc stuff?? I know that, at least in the late 70's, they liked to use DBX for noise reduction. How was that as compared to Dolby A?

Gene

16. Steve Hoffman

No fun tweeking the noise reduced stuff at all. I wish Dolby and DBX had never been invented! :)

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve,

Do you ever fall into the trap of gradually getting everything louder and louder when adjusting levels? If I don't look at meters, this happens to me.

18. Steve Hoffman

No. I always look at the meters, it's just that I don't rely on them.

On a slightly different meter issue: Ever notice some oldies are off-balance in stereo (like Donovan's HURDY GURDY MAN, etc.?) The meters look perfectly balanced but the mix is off to the left or right. That's a "meter mastered" song. A mastering engineer who doesn't know (or doesn't care) just balanced the song by the meters and let it rip. I never do that, I always balance correctly by ear and if the meters look wonky or off I just ignore it. If you try and balance two meters to be in sync with an off-balance stereo mix like CAN'T BUY ME LOVE you will be unable to..

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I use an analyzer to find where the center of energy is. There is a little tool in Audition that has a little trackball and halo that represents the energy level and phase. If I can keep that little ball hovering in the average of the center, and above the line, I can balance the stereo track and keep it in phase, despite what the DB or VU meters say.

20. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Teo Macero told me that he used to have business card size "meter readings" printed up. He would place the cards quietly in front of the meter glass ahead of some recording sessions. They were printed to show a non-overdriving meter reading. The engineers at Columbia would only take a cursory glance at them, so they would assume that nothing was being overdriven. Teo did this to make sure that the master tapes weren't too quiet. He cited the example of the drum duel on Battle Royale as recorded by Count Basie and Duke Ellington. The drums are big and loud, but I don't think the tape was actually overdriven, so he probably achieved his desired effect.

21. Steve Hoffman

Any more stories like that? Priceless.

22. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Which begs the question which might seem to have an obvious answer...WHY were they invented? What prompted it?

If I understand how they worked..DBX worked across 'all' frequencies while Dolby just hit the highs?

23. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I wish I had more. Mostly we were talking about unreleased material. He mentioned lots of live jazz which has never seen the light of day.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised they didn't notice the meters not moving! :)

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I've always wondered how to pronounce his last name. Is it Mass-ero or Mace-ero?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.