Massive Record Collection on EBay

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Theadmans, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theadmans

Theadmans Senior Member Thread Starter

2. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

Wow!. Amazing that one person could accumulate so much. Now if he listened to every LP just once that would take about 3,000,000 hours and listening 12 hours/day = 685 years.:winkgrin:

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No buy it now. $3 million is the MINIMUM bid.

Very cool. One thing that would worry me is that, when asked to specify valuable records, he continually specifies the Stones sampler and some Elvis singles. I would hope a collection like this would have some other stuff at least as valuable/rare, or moreso. No mention of valuable Beatles, for example.

Still, if I had $3 million burning a hole in my pocket and a warehouse to store the stuff in, I'd fly out and check it out.

If anyone actually goes and checks it out, let us know what you find...

Kwad

4. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Unbelieveable.:eek:

5. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

From the seller's web site -

Why is it important?

"Digital preservation would be fine were it not for the fact that CDs have a life-span of just 15 to 20 years. In a few short years, the information on your CDs will just begin to disappear. Forever."

Oh, really? :rolleyes:

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, the truth is that no one knows what the lifespan of CDs will be, either pressed or burned. One real problem with all CDs is a mechanical one: The outer plastic layers sandwich an inner one that holds the data. Since this is a hetereogeneous sandwich, the thermal contraction/expansion properties of the inner and outer layers differ, and this can lead to mechanical breakdown as the temperature/humidity/etc. change.

The process can be subtle and slow. And it's possible that CDs will last many more years than 20 (or whatever number you want to throw out). But there is reason to suspect that CDs are not a good archival format, whether they are pressed or burned CDs.

7. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Well, I'm well over the "life span" on many of the CDs in my collection. And they look and play just fine. It just seems to be a "selling ploy" for potential buyers.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Big stacks of Readers Digest box sets in one photo. Looks like thrift store stock.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.